Sox currently 17th best team in MLB by record

Kenny Hates Prospects

...which means that if we finish with one of the worst 15 records then we don't have to give up a first round pick if we sign a Type A free agent or two.

So that's good.

But f*** this team anyway. We're 7 games back with an elimination number of 6 because this team is a bunch of scared little pansies who can't play in the big scawwy Metwodome (ahh poor babies) and they can't hit a bunch of rookies and minor league scrubs either, and it took them like 3/4 of the season to learn how to catch the damn baseball. So f*** them. Now if they can do anything right they'll f***ing lose for the rest of the season to get us better draft position. I hate this team. This division is dogs*** and we could have won it. This whole division should be banned from the playoffs. If the Sox can't win it then no one deserves it. f***.

But 2010 is going to be awesome and we're going to win it all then.

But f*** this team anyway. We're 7 games back with an elimination number of 6 because this team is a bunch of scared little pansies who can't play in the big scawwy Metwodome (ahh poor babies) and they can't hit a bunch of rookies and minor league scrubs either, and it took them like 3/4 of the season to learn how to catch the damn baseball. So f*** them. Now if they can do anything right they'll f***ing lose for the rest of the season to get us better draft position. I hate this team. This division is dogs*** and we could have won it. This whole division should be banned from the playoffs. If the Sox can't win it then no one deserves it. f***.

But 2010 is going to be awesome and we're going to win it all then.

That was an awesome rant. I laughed at the "I hate this team." Was your last sentence supposed to be in green? If not you are the classic "Wait til next year" kind of guy. Sometimes next year is a lot worse, just ask the Royals. Not saying it will be, but KW is gonna have his work cut out, especially with the Rios/Peavy contracts possibly hindering some other moves.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
That was an awesome rant. I laughed at the "I hate this team." Was your last sentence supposed to be in green? If not you are the classic "Wait til next year" kind of guy. Sometimes next year is a lot worse, just ask the Royals. Not saying it will be, but KW is gonna have his work cut out, especially with the Rios/Peavy contracts possibly hindering some other moves.

I figured if anyone liked it, it would be you. :P

No, I really have high hopes for the 2010 squad. This division is still going to be trash next year, but the difference is the Sox will be a ton better. The Sox ***SHOULD**** basically walk into the playoffs next season, and if they can get there, our rotation could be the best one in the playoffs. 2010 will be cakewalk.

Edit: also the Tigers let Magglio's option vest. They're still paying Bonderman, Willis, etc. and that rotation is definitely top-heavy with little at the bottom. Rodney is a free agent so they'll have to overpay for bullpen arms again, and I believe Lyon is actually a FA too. Zumaya should still be hurt like always.

The Royals are the Royals and the Indians traded everyone. The Twins are our only 2010 competition but they'll be in a new park where a lot of their bulls*** won't work anymore. Their rotation isn't as strong as ours by any means and their offense outside of the Big Two will still be pretty lacking.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 02:52 PM)
I figured if anyone liked it, it would be you. :P

No, I really have high hopes for the 2010 squad. This division is still going to be trash next year, but the difference is the Sox will be a ton better. The Sox ***SHOULD**** basically walk into the playoffs next season, and if they can get there, our rotation could be the best one in the playoffs. 2010 will be cakewalk.

Edit: also the Tigers let Magglio's option vest. They're still paying Bonderman, Willis, etc. and that rotation is definitely top-heavy with little at the bottom. Rodney is a free agent so they'll have to overpay for bullpen arms again, and I believe Lyon is actually a FA too. Zumaya should still be hurt like always.

The Royals are the Royals and the Indians traded everyone. The Twins are our only 2010 competition but they'll be in a new park where a lot of their bulls*** won't work anymore. Their rotation isn't as strong as ours by any means and their offense outside of the Big Two will still be pretty lacking.

The White Sox have been no better since acquiring Peavy and Rios. Granted Peavy has been hurt so it doesn't count but I cannot see any reason for anyone thinking the Sox are in perfect shape for a cakewalk next year. This is a team that is 11 games under .500 vs. the AL. AJ and Konerko will be a year older. There's no guarantee Rios will be a big contributor. You can't be sure Quentin will be MVP-esque again. The chances of Pods repeating his season this year are slim. Beckham should be better. Dye will probably be gone, but as bad as he was in the second half, he was equally as good in the first half. People are happy Thome is gone, but equaling his production won't be easy. I would take Kubel and Span in a heartbeat. Cuddyer isn't a bad player either. If Minnesota pitches they are going to be good. Detroit's owner doesn't care about cash, he will spend to win. KC should suck, but also should be improved and they had no problem taking the series with the Sox this past weekend, and the Sox were 9-9 against them this season.Cleveland is bad and probably will remain bad for a long time.

It seems every time the White Sox are favored to win they fall very short. The bullpen needs to be fixed. Maybe keeping it almost as is could be the answer. But you can't count on it. The Sox will need a RF and another player who could play almost anywhere and DH. They will need Quentin to stay healthy and find his 2008 form. I have a bad feeling if they bring Pods back that he will be the player most of baseball thought he was when he had to call KW for a job. I'm not enamoured with Figgins but if the Sox spend money on him, I won't be upset. The other thing is we have no idea where they are going with payroll. Contreras, Thome, Dye, Dotel, MacDougal,Viciedo's signing bonus all off the books. That's almost $50 million. Maybe Jenks goes., that's $55 million. Peavy and Rios add a lot and several raises. They should have some money to spend. But I thought that last winter.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2009 -> 05:22 PM)
The White Sox have been no better since acquiring Peavy and Rios. Granted Peavy has been hurt so it doesn't count but I cannot see any reason for anyone thinking the Sox are in perfect shape for a cakewalk next year.

I posted this is another thread, but in 33 starts combined, Colon and Contreras went 8-19. Replace that with Peavy and we're already talking about enough of an improvement to be right there around the division lead. Then put a healthy Freddy in there instead of Richard, Torres, Carrasco, etc. and we're gaining even more ground. Factor in the improvements defensively from our infielders as the season has gone on, and factor in the benefits of a more rested bullpen, and we gain even more ground.

This is a team that is 11 games under .500 vs. the AL. AJ and Konerko will be a year older. There's no guarantee Rios will be a big contributor. You can't be sure Quentin will be MVP-esque again. The chances of Pods repeating his season this year are slim. Beckham should be better. Dye will probably be gone, but as bad as he was in the second half, he was equally as good in the first half. People are happy Thome is gone, but equaling his production won't be easy.

You can't be sure of a lot of things, but Rios is much better player than he has been this year and his career numbers back that up. He isn't hurt either. There's more reason to expect him to be better than there is to expect him to be as bad or worse.

And CQ may be an uncertainty as well, but he's battled foot problems and was still gaining strength after wrist surgery. The odds go up the further back those issues become in the rearview mirror.

You can bet Dye's offense overall will be at least replaced, if not improved upon. Dye's numbers have dropped very far. And as Thome goes, we have yet to see what the Sox plan on doing with a DH. We need another big lefty bat to replace him, so we'll see what happens.

I would take Kubel and Span in a heartbeat. Cuddyer isn't a bad player either. If Minnesota pitches they are going to be good. Detroit's owner doesn't care about cash, he will spend to win. KC should suck, but also should be improved and they had no problem taking the series with the Sox this past weekend, and the Sox were 9-9 against them this season.Cleveland is bad and probably will remain bad for a long time.

Minnesota will hang around but they won't be good enough to beat us. I'm just saying that right now. You can be all pessimistic about it, but we're beating some Twins ass in 2010. And the Tigers I'm sure care about all the money they're paying Bonderman, Willis, Maggs, and Carlos Guillen. And I'm sure all the money they'll have to dole out to build a bullpen is going to concern them too. I'll bet they're also wondering how they're going to replace Polanco's production because he's a free agent. And furthermore, that rotation is a great cause for concern, and with all those bad contracts it'll be hard for them to go out and give big dollars and years to a guy like Lackey to anchor it. The Tiggers are in trouble. They've had their run.

It seems every time the White Sox are favored to win they fall very short. The bullpen needs to be fixed. Maybe keeping it almost as is could be the answer. But you can't count on it. The Sox will need a RF and another player who could play almost anywhere and DH. They will need Quentin to stay healthy and find his 2008 form. I have a bad feeling if they bring Pods back that he will be the player most of baseball thought he was when he had to call KW for a job. I'm not enamoured with Figgins but if the Sox spend money on him, I won't be upset. The other thing is we have no idea where they are going with payroll. Contreras, Thome, Dye, Dotel, MacDougal,Viciedo's signing bonus all off the books. That's almost $50 million. Maybe Jenks goes., that's $55 million. Peavy and Rios add a lot and several raises. They should have some money to spend. But I thought that last winter.

Pods shouldn't be back as a regular player. I hope not anyway. I'd rather thank Pods for the contributions, see him get overpaid by some other team, and then bring back Kotsay because he's more versatile.

The Sox should have some money but we're not going to find out how much for a few months. Jenks and Paulie could go too. I think we need to beef up the OF defense so that it becomes a strength for us, and we also need to at the very least add a solid lefty to the pen and make sure we have a legit closer if Jenks is gone. We need to become a pitching and defense team, and if we do that, with our staff, we can beat anybody.