Jenks done for the rest of the year

CSF

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2009/09...the_season.html

To add to the woes of the White Sox, closer Bobby Jenks said that he had been shut down for the remainder of the season after he popped his right calf muscle.

"I can't even walk,'' Jenks insisted after the game. "It's one of those freak things.''

That means his year ends with a 3-4 record and 3.71 ERA to go along with 29 saves. It also adds to the questions that were already swirling around the future of Jenks in a Sox uniform. Not only are injuries a growing concern with him, but there is also another arbitration to avoid that could cost the Sox $7 million in 2010.

"That's not a decision I make,'' manager Ozzie Guillen said of Jenks' future. "Bobby's been great for us for a long time. When a guy has a good career, always you think about coming back. In the meanwhile, like I say [Monday], I'm not the general manager. I don't want to be the general manager. I respect [general manager Kenny Williams'] opinion. I respect Kenny's decision, and we've got to go from there.''

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 12:39 AM)
Eh, we'll need to be leading in the late innings to necessitate a closer. That shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the year.

True. However, we might be better served to stick Pena in their, or call up Link, and just see what happens it a pressure free major league environment.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Yeah, it's really "fantastic" when a Sox player is injured.

I'm sorry. Injuries are kinda sad. I frankly do not care because "calf" issues are hardly career threatening judging by how this all came about.

It's only what a nice chunk of Sox fans have been predicting with this tub of lard. I figured it'd be his arm that did it but no surprise he is injured regardless. Or I don't believe he is hurt and this team is covering up for his horrendous season before he takes anymore of a hit to his trade value.

Can we get over this Bobby Jenks love fest already? This guy is done as a "dominant" closer in the mold of what he aspired to be when he was able to gas people and drop a hook. Now he can hardly do either and is nothing more then your average closer, hell, maybe you average bullpen arm at this point.

QUOTE (Pumpkin Escobar @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 08:47 AM)
I'm sorry. Injuries are kinda sad. I frankly do not care because "calf" issues are hardly career threatening judging by how this all came about.

It's only what a nice chunk of Sox fans have been predicting with this tub of lard. I figured it'd be his arm that did it but no surprise he is injured regardless. Or I don't believe he is hurt and this team is covering up for his horrendous season before he takes anymore of a hit to his trade value.

Can we get over this Bobby Jenks love fest already? This guy is done as a "dominant" closer in the mold of what he aspired to be when he was able to gas people and drop a hook. Now he can hardly do either and is nothing more then your average closer, hell, maybe you average bullpen arm at this point.

No "love fest" here. But I am perplexed at your irrational hatred of the guy. Dude helped us win a World Series for us and was a dominant closer in 2007 and 2008. Most rational Sox fans would be rooting for a guy like that to return to dominance, not for him to fail and be DFA'd.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)
No "love fest" here. But I am perplexed at your irrational hatred of the guy. Dude helped us win a World Series for us and was a dominant closer in 2007 and 2008. Most rational Sox fans would be rooting for a guy like that to return to dominance, not for him to fail and be DFA'd.

You know, that is actually a good point...the team needs to intervene a bit with Jenks's offseason, get him either training or throwing a bit differently since he's no longer just a kid...but he'd be an excellent candidate for a comeback player next year. He can still fire it up hthere and still has good stuff, but it's less consistent and his control is worse. Those are things that can be fixed.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 23, 2009 -> 08:58 AM)

You know, that is actually a good point...the team needs to intervene a bit with Jenks's offseason, get him either training or throwing a bit differently since he's no longer just a kid...but he'd be an excellent candidate for a comeback player next year. He can still fire it up hthere and still has good stuff, but it's less consistent and his control is worse. Those are things that can be fixed.