Who should the sox keep for 2010?

joeynach

Who should stay for 2010?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. You can vote for more than one....anyone you WANT back!

• Paul Konerko
    • Jermaine Dye
    • Tony Pena
    • Randy Williams
    • Dewayne Wise
    • Bobby Jenks
    • Bartolo Colon
    • Freddy Garcia
    • Ramon Castro
    • Scott Podsednik

I voted for Paul, Scott, Freddy and Pena. Paul has had a solid year, not great, but good enough to count on for next year. Scott could probably be resigned relatively cheaply and in this economy he is a solid bargain even if he looks lost on D. Pena is under control for a couple more years, and has at least proven to be a solid innings eater in the pen. Maybe not the 8th inning guy we all envisioned, but someone has got to eat the 6th and 7th. And finally Freddy, no point not to bring him back. All it costs is $1 million or $2 million, so based on what he did this year, at that price for a fifth starter, he could be a terrific bargain. At the very least, you want him, Hudson and Torres competing for a job.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 09:31 AM)
I chose Paulie, Pena, Garcia and Castro.

See maggs for explanation on first 3. Castro is a damn good backup catcher. And if Flowers is ready, he can be DH/emergency catcher. Maybe even some 1B thrown in there, if he's done that before.

I don't want Flowers playing 1b (See: Toby Hall). Bring Kotsay back and you've got that position covered.

The DH spot could be a complicated one next year. I would like to try Flowers out there for several hundred AB's, but that also would require having another backup C, which means I picked castro as well.

If we're carrying 2 catchers on the bench, that leaves 3 other spots if you count the DH position, and 1 open OF slot, assuming 12 pitchers. If Kotsay and Nix take up 2 of those spots, then you have a single backup at each position, and 1 more opening for a DH who can play the field some and split time with Flowers. Frankly, someone like Abreu does fit that bill, although his defense isn't exactly stellar.

I voted PK, JD, BJ, SP, TP and FG. If Paulie can produce this years numbers next year, I'm fine with that. JD will bounce back and can be rotated in at DH for more rest if he signs a decent contract. Jenks is a tough one especially with a ballooning contract and injury issues but decent bullpen arms are scarce and he's still decent. Pods if he can keep up his fountain of youth act. Pena decent bullpen arm again with potential. Freddie because he'd make a good 5th starter or bullpen arm though he will probably only come back if he can start.