Williams warns Sox' quitters

kitekrazy

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox24.article

Can you honestly assess who is a quitter in MLB? Players that have an off year, are they quitters?

It probably hasn't helped that Williams has had to watch the Minnesota Twins -- a team built on the gritty, grinder formula he has tried to duplicate each year

Well start with the farm system Kenny. That's how they do it.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox24.article

Can you honestly assess who is a quitter in MLB? Players that have an off year, are they quitters?

Guys who don't take extra BP while they're slumping, guys who don't work overtime with Coop to fix mechanical flaws, guys who have poor body language in the dugout, etc.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Sep 24, 2009 -> 03:34 PM)
I think he's pointing his finger at me. I quit believing in this team after the road trip from hell.

I'm with KyYlE23 . I quit on the team after you quit in the team. You're a quitter dude, and you've set a poor example for all of us. :P

Edited by Thunderbolt

KW should realize the team he put together wasnt THAT talented. It was his mistake to rely on aging sluggers. Thome did pretty much what you'd expect, Konerko had a bounce back year, Dye had an extremely long dreadful stretch when you'd least want it.

And you can throw a little blame on Ozzie for not moving AJP up in the order earlier. But really it's on KW. If you built for 2010 with your trades, say so. Dont hide behind saying the guys underachieved just to cover your own ass. What is that supposed to accomplish?

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 11:05 AM)
Dont hide behind saying the guys underachieved just to cover your own ass. What is that supposed to accomplish?

But they did underachieve. Jenks, Dye, Ramirez, and Rios weren't supposed to be this bad for long stretches in the season. Had any of them put up consistent quality stretches when it matted, we'd still be competing. There's nothing KW could have done about that.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 10:05 AM)
KW should realize the team he put together wasnt THAT talented. It was his mistake to rely on aging sluggers. Thome did pretty much what you'd expect, Konerko had a bounce back year, Dye had an extremely long dreadful stretch when you'd least want it.

And you can throw a little blame on Ozzie for not moving AJP up in the order earlier. But really it's on KW. If you built for 2010 with your trades, say so. Dont hide behind saying the guys underachieved just to cover your own ass. What is that supposed to accomplish?

You are correct about K-Dubya, but I'd have to add, there is plenty of blame to go around. No one is guilt free, no one had a career year, from the ownership group to .

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 09:27 AM)
Let's see,

The club is talking about shutting down a few players, but K-Dubya says don't quit.

I see Thome out west, but K-Dubya says don't quit.

Given that they had 5 seemingly starting caliber players for only 4 positions, I fail to see how removing the oldest and least versatile of the bunch could be seen as throwing in the towel. Especially when the player struggling the most at the time was reportedly upset with the situation.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 12:46 PM)
Given that they had 5 seemingly starting caliber players for only 4 positions, I fail to see how removing the oldest and least versatile of the bunch could be seen as throwing in the towel. Especially when the player struggling the most at the time was reportedly upset with the situation.

Sure, I am of the opinion that if the team was likely to make the playoffs, Jim would not have been moved. I saw it as pretty damn close to a white flag being raised.