Review of Prospects Traded Away in 2009

Ozzie Ball

The White Sox have traded away many prospects over the last couple of years but to date none of them have come back to bite the Sox. Here I will review all of the prospects traded away by Kenny Williams in 2009 and will try to determine whether this latest crop of former prospects will come back to haunt the White Sox in the future.

Lance Broadway

2009 Stats

Prior to Lance Broadway’s trade to the Mets (in return for Ramon Castro) he actually put up some decent numbers at Charlotte including a 3.75 SO/BB rate and an 8.4 SO/9, by far the best strikeout rate he had posted since his debut season. The ERA was high but there was reason to be encouraged. After the trade, however, Broadway was awful, the strikeouts plummeted, the walks rose as did the ERA and WHIP. Broadway has made several appearances with the Mets but his performances have been weak, he’s giving up an extreme amount of hits, which either says his stuff is very hittable or he has been very unlucky. Time is running out for this former first round pick and he will need to make some significant improvements next year if he wishes to be successful.

Continued... http://futuresox.com/frontpage/?p=1541

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 12:44 PM)
Good point, do we know who has to be protected this year? Whisler also was just outrighted to the minors as well.

I think anyone who has had 4 full seasons in the minors. Santo Luis, Fernando Hernandez, Derek Rodriguez, guys like that all have to be protected. I don't know about the full list but usually that list is released prior to the Winter Meetings where the Rule-5 is held.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 03:05 PM)
I think anyone who has had 4 full seasons in the minors. Santo Luis, Fernando Hernandez, Derek Rodriguez, guys like that all have to be protected. I don't know about the full list but usually that list is released prior to the Winter Meetings where the Rule-5 is held.

Hernandez was already taken in the Rule V in 08.

• 4 weeks later...