Mets claim Jack Egbert off waivers...

prochisox

QUOTE (danman31 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 04:29 PM)
Agree on all fronts. Is it just me or do the Sox have more marginal value or possible MLB talent MiLB free agent/Rule V eligible guys than normal?

I think you're right. Like Balta said, we always seem to have a guy or two, but unlike players like Jay Marshall and stuff, we've got a few this year that could actually go somewhere and really compete for a job.

Some of our better or bigger name prospects/non-prospects that should be eligible for the Rule-5 this year should we not add them to the roster:

Brandon Hynick

Brian Omogrosso

Kyle McCulloch

Matt Long

Christian Marrero

Anthony Carter

John Shelby

Justin Cassell

Lee Cruz

Tyson Corley

Garrett Johnson

Stefan Gartrell

Jordan Cheetham

Fernando Hernandez

Derek Rodriguez

Beyond that, both Wes Whisler and Donny Lucy should be free agents. I also believe that if Carlos Torres were to be removed from the 40-man then he too would be a minor league free agent (but he'd have to go through waivers anyway) so I could see the Sox making a decision between Torres and Hynick, since neither should project to join our staff. So clearly we've got a few guys here.

Hynick, Marrero, Shelby, and Gartrell would be my guesses. I don't think anyone else gets added. It's a shame about Omogrosso because not only would he have been added to our roster, but he'd have had a great shot at making the ballclub next year.

Edit: Actually Justin Edwards won't be involved as he signed at 18. So I'm taking him off the list here.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Also, Sergio Santos will be a FA, Santo Luis (of the 100mph fastball but no control) will be Rule-5 eligible, and then there are lots of other guys who don't matter that would fit in one of these categories, like Matt Zaleski and those kinds of guys. I think Miguel Socolovich will be available too in the Rule-5. The Sox, like seemingly every year, are in position to lose a few players.

There are also quite a few guys who are currently on the 40-man that could very easily be removed. Right now, I think it's very possible that Marquez, Williams, Fields, and Wise could all be gone, and that's not including free agents (Dotel, Dye, Castro). The Sox will lose some they'd like to keep, and that's just part of the game.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 12:20 AM)
There are also quite a few guys who are currently on the 40-man that could very easily be removed. Right now, I think it's very possible that Marquez, Williams, Fields, and Wise could all be gone, and that's not including free agents (Dotel, Dye, Castro). The Sox will lose some they'd like to keep, and that's just part of the game.

Given how much Ozzie has used Williams and Wise I wouldn't be surprised if they kept those two for some weird reason, but both Marquez and Fields are definitely candidates to be gone. I'd probably bet on both of those guys being gone.

Also, this spring will be the make it or break it spring for Lucas Harrell. I like his arm so I hope he opens some eyes. If Harrell isn't traded over the offseason, then 2010 will be his third season on the 40-man, so something has to give there.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 12:06 AM)
I think you're right. Like Balta said, we always seem to have a guy or two, but unlike players like Jay Marshall and stuff, we've got a few this year that could actually go somewhere and really compete for a job.

Some of our better or bigger name prospects/non-prospects that should be eligible for the Rule-5 this year should we not add them to the roster:

Brandon Hynick

Brian Omogrosso

Kyle McCulloch

Matt Long

Christian Marrero

Anthony Carter

John Shelby

Justin Cassell

Lee Cruz

Tyson Corley

Garrett Johnson

Stefan Gartrell

Jordan Cheetham

Fernando Hernandez

Derek Rodriguez

Beyond that, both Wes Whisler and Donny Lucy should be free agents. I also believe that if Carlos Torres were to be removed from the 40-man then he too would be a minor league free agent (but he'd have to go through waivers anyway) so I could see the Sox making a decision between Torres and Hynick, since neither should project to join our staff. So clearly we've got a few guys here.

Hynick, Marrero, Shelby, and Gartrell would be my guesses. I don't think anyone else gets added. It's a shame about Omogrosso because not only would he have been added to our roster, but he'd have had a great shot at making the ballclub next year.

Edit: Actually Justin Edwards won't be involved as he signed at 18. So I'm taking him off the list here.

To the list of minor league FA's, add David Cook and Ehren Wassermann.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 12:06 AM)

Brandon Hynick

Brian Omogrosso

Kyle McCulloch

Matt Long

Christian Marrero

Anthony Carter

John Shelby

Justin Cassell

Lee Cruz

Tyson Corley

Garrett Johnson

Stefan Gartrell

Jordan Cheetham

Fernando Hernandez

Derek Rodriguez

Realistically, how many of those guys would have a chance of being picked? Gartrell, but I am sure he is going on the 40. Derek Rod could be drafted again, but he was quickly returned to the Sox. Besides that? Maybe Hynick, but I have to imagine he has a pretty good chance of going onto the 40 as well.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 07:50 AM)
Realistically, how many of those guys would have a chance of being picked? Gartrell, but I am sure he is going on the 40. Derek Rod could be drafted again, but he was quickly returned to the Sox. Besides that? Maybe Hynick, but I have to imagine he has a pretty good chance of going onto the 40 as well.

Well first, I think some of the guys on his list are not eligible yet - Corley and Johnson for example.

But I'd say these guys all could get picked up in the Rule V, from his list:

Brandon Hynick

Brian Omogrosso

Kyle McCulloch

Matt Long

Christian Marrero

Anthony Carter

John Shelby

Justin Cassell

Stefan Gartrell

Fernando Hernandez

Derek Rodriguez

That is most of the list. We won't protect all those guys. But I agree with danman, we seem to have a lot of guys eligible this year that might be appealing to other teams. Plus the various minor league FA's that might leave - that is a big turnover, potentially.

I'd guess that we will protect Hynick, Marrero, Shelby and Gartrell. There are 3 open slots on the 40 right now, but I think you will see Cole Armstrong dropped, and Josh Fields with another club, which would leave 5 open slots.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)
Well first, I think some of the guys on his list are not eligible yet - Corley and Johnson for example.

Corley will be eligible, but you're right about Garrett Johnson. He was 18 when he signed so the Sox will have to add him by next year to protect him.

Teams have 5 years to evaluate a prospect who signs his first pro contract at 18, and 4 years to evaluate someone who signs at 19 or older. So that means we're talking about 19+ guys from the 2006 draft and everyone from the 2005 draft and before. Anyone taken in the 2004 draft or signed undrafted in 2004 or prior should become a minor league free agent this year.

Maybe we should just make the full list and put it on FutureSox or something? I just posted this because I was curious about who we'd have to add.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 08:06 AM)

But I'd say these guys all could get picked up in the Rule V, from his list:

Brandon Hynick

Brian Omogrosso

Kyle McCulloch

Matt Long

Christian Marrero

Anthony Carter

John Shelby

Justin Cassell

Stefan Gartrell

Fernando Hernandez

Derek Rodriguez

That is most of the list. We won't protect all those guys. But I agree with danman, we seem to have a lot of guys eligible this year that might be appealing to other teams. Plus the various minor league FA's that might leave - that is a big turnover, potentially.

I'd guess that we will protect Hynick, Marrero, Shelby and Gartrell. There are 3 open slots on the 40 right now, but I think you will see Cole Armstrong dropped, and Josh Fields with another club, which would leave 5 open slots.

No one is going to pick up McCulloch. Omogrosso is out with the Tommy John surgery happening. I'm really not convinced about the rest, except for a few.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 09:47 AM)
Corley will be eligible, but you're right about Garrett Johnson. He was 18 when he signed so the Sox will have to add him by next year to protect him.

Teams have 5 years to evaluate a prospect who signs his first pro contract at 18, and 4 years to evaluate someone who signs at 19 or older. So that means we're talking about 19+ guys from the 2006 draft and everyone from the 2005 draft and before. Anyone taken in the 2004 draft or signed undrafted in 2004 or prior should become a minor league free agent this year.

Maybe we should just make the full list and put it on FutureSox or something? I just posted this because I was curious about who we'd have to add.

Johnson has only 3 years in, AND was drafted at 18, so he actually has two years remaining before he needs protection. But with the 2009 he had, it probably won't matter anyway, he's not much of a prospect at this point (though he is still young and has some potential).

Corley you are right about, I thought he had only 4 years in, but he has 5. Kind of surprising.

I posted a list in FS (in the catch-all thread) of who, I think (help me out here), are minor league FA eligible:

Cole Armstrong

Josh Kroeger

Andy Cannizaro

Donny Lucy

David Cook

Wes Whisler

Carlos Torres

Lucas Harrell*** (due to missing time to injury, I am not sure he falls in here)

Ehren Wassermann

Fernando Hernandez

There may be others as well. And I agree, I think we will put up a thread in FS listing the FA's and the Rule V eligibles, for reference.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 10:04 AM)
NSS, does missing a season due to injury still count towards an evaluation year or a MiLB FA year?

Also, I left off Armstrong and Harrell because they are on our 40, but Armstrong should be dropped. Harrell will stay or be traded, his arm is too good to let go for nothing.

That is why I put *** after Harrell's name, I don't know how that works with losing time to injury.