Cheap Bullpen But How Good

Marty34

Thornton

Hudson

Carrasco

Pena

Linebrink

There's no way you can trust Linebrink and Pena to be solid.

Hudson should be kept a starter, but could be good in the pen I guess.

Carrasco should fill this year's role again, not any expanded role. He's good in the role he had this year.

Thornton should be a good closer.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
We can afford to gamble on Pena as a closer. Why? Because he has the stuff, and taking Thornton out of his current role would be a tragic mistake.

LR: Garcia

LR: Linebrink

MR; Nunez

MR: Second Lefty

SU: Thornton

SU: Carrasco

CL: Pena

Garcia will be starting with someone else before he's a long reliever. Not gonna happen. Linebrink doesn't have the stuff for long relief either. Carrasco is perfect for that role and should be considered a swingman reliever.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 08:49 PM)
We can afford to gamble on Pena as a closer. Why? Because he has the stuff, and taking Thornton out of his current role would be a tragic mistake.

LR: Garcia

LR: Linebrink

MR; Nunez

MR: Second Lefty

SU: Thornton

SU: Carrasco

CL: Pena

I'll argue til I'm blue in the face that the bullpen is a giant crapshoot and the best laid plans of mice and men will be destroyed by middle relievers...but the one thing I'm not going to believe is that TPain belongs in the closer role until I'm convinced he's worked things out as a setup man.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 12:03 AM)
Garcia will be starting with someone else before he's a long reliever. Not gonna happen. Linebrink doesn't have the stuff for long relief either. Carrasco is perfect for that role and should be considered a swingman reliever.

We clearly need to find something for Linebrink to do. Garbage relief might be exactly what we can expect from him. Carrasco has been one of the more reliable arms in the pen, and has earned enough trust to carry the game into the 9th alongside Thornton.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 02:14 AM)
Unless something like 05 happens, that's not a very good bullpen. You're going to need career years out of Pena, Carrasco, Thornton, and Linebrink to have a solid bullpen. I honestly don't see that happening.

I think it would be a decent bullpen, but I pretty much agree with you. The premise of the thread was a cheap bullpen; I simply showed what my arrangement of what our in-house options would be.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 11:53 AM)
I think it would be a decent bullpen, but I pretty much agree with you. The premise of the thread was a cheap bullpen; I simply showed what my arrangement of what our in-house options would be.

I think it'd would be decent too. I'd like to see them use their money to rebuild the offense. The point of a cheap pen is to cobble together a group that can keep you in contention until you can shake loose a reliever at the trade deadline.

We had to rely on that pen so much this year.

I honestly think we can win the division with purely offense upgrades. Be good enough to where you dont have to rely on your pen as much. Our offense was so bad this year that the pen got tested tons. Therefore it seems worse than it is. Our pen is kind of like a lot of teams'

The above may sound naive. But i just really believe that great pens get cobbled together and that to be a good team, you have to rely on some good luck with a reliever having a career year.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 25, 2009 -> 11:07 PM)
I'll argue til I'm blue in the face that the bullpen is a giant crapshoot and the best laid plans of mice and men will be destroyed by middle relievers...but the one thing I'm not going to believe is that TPain belongs in the closer role until I'm convinced he's worked things out as a setup man.

I couldn't agree more. That's why innings are an important stat for a starting pitcher.

I still don't get this fascination with Pena either.

Prior to this year, i would have agreed with you, bit he's really shown me something this year. He still leaves to many floating breaking balls up in the zone

Last year he was better. His WHIP has gone up much more and his K/9 dropped. Not sure why people think that equates to a solid late inning reliever.