Nick Johnson Is The Only Free-Agent Hitter That I'd Sign

Marty34

Johnson would make a good two hole hitter. High contact rate, has a good OBP, extremely selective with good plate discipline. He'd come at a reasonable price as well. He doesn't have enough power to bat 5th or 6th, but in a lineup filled with possible right handed hitters, he'd make a hell of a pick-up if he's healthy. I like it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 11:43 AM)
With our money constraints I'd guess we're going to have to take a risk of a player, because we can't afford a sure thing. But is Johnson going to come cheap even as a risk?

I think the Red Sox will go after, and probably end up with, Fielder. After that, I think the Sox can be in the bidding with the other teams that need a first baseman like the Giants for example. If the Red Sox are out of the picture I think you can get Johnson for at least 25% less than Figgins will get. He'd be a better fit too, IMO.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 11:51 AM)
Add in a good backup plan with Mark Kotsay on the team.

I'd be very surprised if the Sox add more than about $12M to our base payroll next year after what we gave to Rios and Peavy. We could easily be spending $7-8M of that on Johnson and Kotsay in that case, and that would be a huge risk to take. If Johnson went down then Kotsay's bat everyday at DH wouldn't cut it. If we're talking about adding that much salary for one player we should look at other options who offer less risk, like Bobby Abreu as a full-time DH.

I can't find the exact quote but KW has mentioned that he wants a DH that can also play the field. I'm assuming he's talking about an outfielder and not a 1B. I think Johnson is good, but like everyone else mentioned he's injury proned. The most games he's ever played in a year at 147 and that was 3 years ago.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Sep 26, 2009 -> 01:10 PM)
Very interesting idea. We're going to need piecemeal solutions until AJP and Konerko are off the books. Too many holes right now.

I only see two holes in our lineup as presently constructed, At LF, and DH. And this is only because I have Pods slotted in as a 4th OF, and Q in RF.

Johnson was healthy this year. I think if he DH's most of the time, he would be more likely to stay healthy. His best attribute is a .401 career OBP. I don't think it will cost much to sign him, given his injury history. No one is going to give him a long-term deal.

Johnson doesn't give you much power, however, so we would still have no lefty power on the team unless we added it elsewhere, like RF.

It might make an interesting team to bring in Johnson and a guy like Abreu for RF. Consider this lineup.

Beckham

Johnson

Abreu

Quentin

Konerko

AJ

Ramirez

Rios

Getz

If Quentin rebounded to something close to his 2008 totals, you would have a team with a much higher OBP. If you want to break up the righties and lefties, then Abreu could follow Quentin.

Speed-wise, only Konerko is truly slow in that lineup. AJ isn't fast, but can go from first to third and second to home at a reasonable clip. Ramirez/Rios/Getz puts the real speed at the bottom of the lineup. And Abreu can run. Beckham is okay.

I actually think I like that kind of lineup. Perhaps a lot. Beckham is not ideal as a lead off hitter, but I don't think Getz is ready, and I can't see either Rios or Ramirez getting on base enough. But, if any of the bottom 3 guys could morph into a reliable lead off hitter, so much the better.

Kotsay would have less value b/c the prime guys he would back up would be lefties. But you could keep him to give Konerko and Quentin and even Rios a rest now and then. He could also insure against Johnson's health.

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 01:28 AM)
Rather us trade some garbage to the Nationals for Adam Dunn for our DH.

If you're Mike Rizzo, why would you accept garbage for argubly your best offensive player?

I see him demanding at least 1 premium prospect if he's going to give up Adam Dunn.

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
Because its the Nationals.....

All they have to do is hold him through the end of the season and he's cheap enough that they can offer him arbitration. No one will mind a series of 1 year, $10 million deals for him. Therefore, the price you have to beat is 2 2nd round draft picks. That's not something to sneeze at.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 10:06 PM)
The Nats are not trading Dunn, period. Zimmerman and Dunn are the key to their offense. They'll keep both unitl their young pitching comes around.

The Nationals are years away. If they can find people that will potentially contribute in 2012/13/14 when their talent will actually start to show up, they will do it in a heartbeat.