Ozzie explodes

IamPabloOzuna

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 02:12 AM)
he's got a point; there really weren't any good college games on tonight.

okay, seriously, Williams says some guys are quitters, ozzie goes off...so who is this aimed at? Who cares about college football, Alexi? Nope. Rios? Maybe. AJ...Paulie...JD...?

I guess Notre Dame Purdue coming down to the last minute and a huge upset by Iowa over Penn State doesn't get it done for you?

The day after the JR firing up of the troops for next season speech. Beautiful. Ozzie has every right to be pissed off, and frankly shouldn't be a manager if it didn't bother him.

Maybe its makes no sense to some because the Sox can't win anything this year. Eliminated or not, you still have to play with pride and especially against a team that is still in it, have to be bothered by a poor performance. Its kind of like when they flash to the dugout during a loss and you see a bunch of guys laughing it up. This is their job. They get paid to play at their highest level. They get paid more in six months than most get paid in a lifetime. There's a time to watch football, but not right after blowing a 5 run lead and getting blown out to a team that is playing very meaningful games, in the clubhouse. They can all afford TIVO.

BTW, 35k in attendance last night with no fireworks show. A lot of Detroit fans.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 09:03 AM)
PK said the tv's were already on by the time the team got in the clubhouse. Me suspects, PK was one of the guys watching college football because in the article in the Sun-Times today, he seemed to try and downplay it. My other guesses would be AJ, Beckham, and probably JD.

That, or Ozzie was overreacting yet again?

In no particular order . . .

• There was strong support around here for the team to shut down almost every player with any value to avoid injury, see what the youngsters can do, etc.
  • While it may be a nice indicator of the competitiveness of the players, some of these guys we already know how competitive they are, especially when there is something to really compete for.
  • So to label, for example, PK or AJ as quitters is an awful stretch.
  • I prefer a player who is competitive when there is something to actually win, then lays down, over a player who is the same half ass all the time.
  • Young players better be all out all the time.
  • Games are won on the field.

QUOTE (Tex @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
In no particular order . . .

• There was strong support around here for the team to shut down almost every player with any value to avoid injury, see what the youngsters can do, etc.
  • While it may be a nice indicator of the competitiveness of the players, some of these guys we already know how competitive they are, especially when there is something to really compete for.
  • So to label, for example, PK or AJ as quitters is an awful stretch.
  • I prefer a player who is competitive when there is something to actually win, then lays down, over a player who is the same half ass all the time.
  • Young players better be all out all the time.
  • Games are won on the field.

Obviously you paid no money to watch last night's game. The people who did deserve a better effort, and if you are so unmoved by getting embarrassed that you can't wait to watch a college football game, I hope they find the door for you. This is a player's job. I don't know who was watching games and Konerko's quote that the TVs were already on, indicate to me that the players actually had them on during last night's game as many are in the clubhouse during the game.

Perhaps its being blown out of proportion a little bit, but Ozzie has every right to be pissed off. I prefer guys that hate to lose myself, not guys who say, well we can't win so who cares. I hope incidents like this help management weed out the riff raff.

Ozzie's act seems to go right over the player's heads. They probably stopped listening to him awhile back. Maybe Paulie took a shot at Ozzie when he mentioned he didn't like TV, Radio or kids in the locker room. Ozzie is an emotional cripple. KW and Ozzie are best at deflecting blame. They are never the reason for failure. Just wait and they will tell you. Some player needs to pop him in his vulgar and profane mouth.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
Obviously you paid no money to watch last night's game. The people who did deserve a better effort, and if you are so unmoved by getting embarrassed that you can't wait to watch a college football game, I hope they find the door for you. This is a player's job. I don't know who was watching games and Konerko's quote that the TVs were already on, indicate to me that the players actually had them on during last night's game as many are in the clubhouse during the game.

Perhaps its being blown out of proportion a little bit, but Ozzie has every right to be pissed off. I prefer guys that hate to lose myself, not guys who say, well we can't win so who cares. I hope incidents like this help management weed out the riff raff.

In all honesty... last nights game is keeping me from buying tickets to todays game. Who wants to see a team get thrashed by the team who beat you out for the playoffs? And I HATE the fact that Tigers fans are going to be all up in the house cheering on their playoff team louder than our fans. They have a reason to cheer though and we don't.

This is depressing just line 2007. I hate when the Sox suck...

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)
In all honesty... last nights game is keeping me from buying tickets to todays game. Who wants to see a team get thrashed by the team who beat you out for the playoffs? And I HATE the fact that Tigers fans are going to be all up in the house cheering on their playoff team louder than our fans. They have a reason to cheer though and we don't.

Well stated

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 09:57 AM)

They won the previous game against the same team. The difference was very good pitching the first night and very bad pitching the second night. I don't know what that has to do with position players quitting or watching football.

I'm all for resting veterans and seeing what minor leaguers can do in the bigs when a team is eliminated (or extremely close). But regardless of who is out there, these guys need to be serious and an effort to win has to be there. I'm glad that Ozzie is pissed.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 02:12 AM)
he's got a point; there really weren't any good college games on tonight.

okay, seriously, Williams says some guys are quitters, ozzie goes off...so who is this aimed at? Who cares about college football, Alexi? Nope. Rios? Maybe. AJ...Paulie...JD...?

A.J. is a huge Gators fan.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 07:30 AM)
The day after the JR firing up of the troops for next season speech. Beautiful. Ozzie has every right to be pissed off, and frankly shouldn't be a manager if it didn't bother him.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
I'm kind of getting tired of Ozzie's antics. This is his go to media grab, the freak out.

Both sides of this are valid, really.

I have no problem with guys checking out other games, other sports, whatever. Big deal.

But, one would have to have been in the clubhouse to understand if being PO'd was warranted.

i.e.

After the loss were most of the guys down, PO'd, or even just bewildered?

If so and they just happened to be checking out the games out of interest or escape, fine, Ozzie out of line.

Or were they apathetic, looking only to get to the nearest TV, little regard for any post-game reflection or words from the manager?

If such is the case being PO'd is warranted, yet the problem is Ozzie has shot his wad so many times that those who've been around are no longer affected by it, and the youngsters can tell. Not good.

Most fans stopped caring about this season months ago......when the fans show apathy towards the team, the team shows apathy towards the game. I don't blame Ozzie for melting down (in fact, I'm glad he did)....however, I can't blame the players for "checking out" when the the majority of the "fan support" did so a few months ago. If we want a winning attitude throughout the organization, it has to exist within the fan base as well.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
A.J. is a huge Gators fan.

I could understand Ozzie being pissed if some players seem to be more interested in a football game than the Sox game. However, if any of Ozzie's ire is directed at A.J. after the way A.J. has played this season as well as his entire time with the White Sox, then Ozzie is truly out of his mind.

Also, if the situation is as bad as Ozzie makes it sound, then it appears as if he has truly lost the clubhouse and the respect of his players. If that is the case, maybe he should consider hanging it up.