And That's a White Sox Winner !

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

In the last home game of the season the Sox offense came alive to back a strong effort by rookie Daniel Hudson. Hudson, who picked up his 1st major league victory pitched 6 innings walked 5 ,K'ed 4 and gave up only 2 earned runs against a Tiger team striving to fight off the Minnesota Twins for the lead in the Central division.

Carlos Quentin had 4 RBI with a double and a 3 run bomb, both to right center field. Scott Podsednik had an RBI triple to continue to lead the Sox hitters in batting average with runners in scoring position. Gordan Beckham drove in Pods with a double . Mark Kotsay and Jermaine Dye contributed run scoring singles.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 05:27 PM)
For all the Soxtalk chatter I've seen about letting the kids play it seemed odd to me when push comes to shove there's not a whole lot of interest in watching Hudson pitch weather it's in the game thread or lack of posting a winners thread or commenting in said thread.

:huh: You do realize there was 103 post in the game thread right? And the season is over not to mention everyone is watching the Bears game (or their other favorite teams) right now on football Sunday.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
:huh: You do realize there was 103 post in the game thread right? And the season is over not to mention everyone is watching the Bears game (or their other favorite teams) right now on football Sunday.

A whole 103 huh ? So what's that like 50 more posts than the shortest game thread of the year ? Yes the season is over that's the whole point of most of the let the kids play posts. I also realize the most people post in game threads while watching the game so having the Bears game on can't be too much of an excuse. That's why you have a remote control.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 04:52 PM)
Congrats Huddy.

I like how this stat sheet looks. Power and RBI for Rios and Quentin. Get those 2 guys back to normal next season and all of our problems except the bullpen go away.

That's exactly what I've been thinking . Rios and Q healthy and productive and Beckhams and Getz' 2nd season and the offense goes from crap to pretty good.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 08:02 PM)
A whole 103 huh ? So what's that like 50 more posts than the shortest game thread of the year ? Yes the season is over that's the whole point of most of the let the kids play posts. I also realize the most people post in game threads while watching the game so having the Bears game on can't be too much of an excuse. That's why you have a remote control.

rolleyes.gif It's not worth it Ace....

I'm just glad we got a victory from the Bears AND the Sox for Hudson today. I'm sure that pie to the face couldn't have felt more satisfying for the rookie.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 08:19 PM)

I'm just glad we got a victory from the Bears AND the Sox for Hudson today. I'm sure that pie to the face couldn't have felt more satisfying for the rookie.

You think any of the Sox players got a chance to catch the Bears game?

QUOTE (aprec32 @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 08:27 PM)
You think any of the Sox players got a chance to catch the Bears game?

No doubt. They locked Ozzie in his office, and since their game ended before the Bears game came on, they all watched. :lol: Though it won't be the same w/o the biggest Bears fan gone though.. (Rowand :()

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 27, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)

Me too. I'm just a little disappointed after reading all the rhetoric that a Sox team done for the reason with a huge key for the future success of the franchise pitching can't attract more of the supposed die hards that inhabit this sight. Didn't want an argument at all just saying how I feel.

Me too. I'm just a little disappointed after reading all the rhetoric that a Sox team done for the reason with a huge key for the future success of the franchise pitching can't attract more of the supposed die hards that inhabit this sight. Didn't want an argument at all just saying how I feel.

They are so die hard that they were at the games watching. Where were you during the game? Obviously not supporting the team with ticket funds.

As soon as Hudson learns the Buehrle method of pitching (the pace and pounding of the strike zone), he's going to be a shut-down pitcher.

That's a good way to put it. He looked pretty good and he worked very fast. Hope he's copying Mark in that regard.

He walked five, but all five were in 2 innings.

Hopefully that was just some mechanical thing as a kid.

I admit he's a better option than Fred next year provided he is a quick starter. Can he pitch well out of the gate?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 07:02 AM)
If you were a true fan you would have.

lol. As a long time Sox fan, I do what I can to support them. I pay for Extra Innings on DirecTV to watch them. I buy tix to game in Anaheim and Dodger Stadium. I have a file in my bookmarks dedicated to Sox blogs , fan sights. Palehose 6, 7, 8 and 9. minor league affiliates pages , just about everywhere I can read info on the Sox. A total of 46 bookmarks on the Sox alone . Thousands of Sox baseball cards dating back to the 1950's. World Series DVD and memorablia. A Sox program from the 70's in which my dad and a couple of my brothers had their photo taken on an ad for Family Night. About 10 different Sox hats and various clothing. I usually read a whole thread before just jumping into it to get everyone's perspective. I rather be humorous than dour in my posts and prefer not to be thought of as that cranky old dude.

I don't get too high when they win or too low when they suck. I rather be positive than negative and trust me as old as I am I have seen a whole hell of a lot of bad seasons worse than this one. All Sox fans to me are great but you 20 somethings cannot understand being a Sox fan all your life and never seeing a team in the World Series , living year after year supporting a team that never had a chance to win the pennant before they made divisions to give more teams chances at the postseason like my father and grandfather did.

So excuse me if I point out that it appears to me a few people talk the talk but don't walk the walk. I'm not saying I'm a better fan or a truer fan than anyone here just more seasoned and appreciative of seeing the Sox going through a time where they are more competitive.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
lol. As a long time Sox fan, I do what I can to support them. I pay for Extra Innings on DirecTV to watch them. I buy tix to game in Anaheim and Dodger Stadium. I have a file in my bookmarks dedicated to Sox blogs , fan sights. Palehose 6, 7, 8 and 9. minor league affiliates pages , just about everywhere I can read info on the Sox. A total of 46 bookmarks on the Sox alone . Thousands of Sox baseball cards dating back to the 1950's. World Series DVD and memorablia. A Sox program from the 70's in which my dad and a couple of my brothers had their photo taken on an ad for Family Night. About 10 different Sox hats and various clothing.

I don't get too high when they win or too low when the suck. I rather be positive than negative and trust me as old as I am I have seen a whole hell of a lot of bad seasons worse than this one. All Sox fans to me are great but you 20 somethings cannot understand being a Sox fan all your life and never seeing a team in the World Series , living year after year supporting a team that never had a chance to win the pennant before they made divisions to give more teams chances at the postseason like my father and grandfather did.

So excuse me if I point out that it appears to me a few people talk the talk but don't walk the walk. I'm not saying I'm a better fan or a truer fan than anyone here just more seasoned and appreciative of seeing the Sox going through a time where they are more competitive.

But you are. This is why you are posting this nonsense. Enough with the self richeous crap. I am sorry I wasn't in the game thread oh overlord of soxtalk fandom. I decided to take my kids to the park, it was a nice Sunday and all. I don't think people need a lesson in fandom from anyone.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 07:56 AM)
But you are. This is why you are posting this nonsense. Enough with the self richeous crap. I am sorry I wasn't in the game thread oh overlord of soxtalk fandom. I decided to take my kids to the park, it was a nice Sunday and all. I don't think people need a lesson in fandom from anyone.

I'm very sorry you feel offended by my post. My fandom was questioned therefore I responded not in a negative or sarcastic way but in a way in which I could express my thoughts. Obviously if you were at the game my original post was not directed at you . I was merely pointing out the the "play the kids" theme I hear is just frustration talking and inevitably will produce more of a losing team which in turn will not be as supported as a winning team.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
I'm very sorry you feel offended by my post. My fandom was questioned therefore I responded not in a negative or sarcastic way but in a way in which I could express my thoughts. Obviously if you were at the game my original post was not directed at you . I was merely pointing out the the "play the kids" theme I hear is just frustration talking and inevitably will produce more of a losing team which in turn will not be as supported as a winning team.

I took my kids to the local park. I wasn't at the game. I did however drop 200 bucks a week ago to watch the Royals destroy Mark Buerhle and the vets, so maybe that can give me a pass. Its the end of the season. Watching the kids play is the only thing worth watching. In fact, the only reason I checked the box score from time to time on Sunday was due to the fact that Hudson was pitching. We are in a transition from the older core to a new younger core. Hudson and Flowers are part of that new core. I would like to see what they can do, get their feet a bit wet this year.

Edited by southsideirish71