2009 Final Attendance figures

joeynach

The information I have shows our total home attendance for 2009 at 2,284,164. An average of about 28,200 per game. Last year we drew about 2.5 Mil so this year we saw about a 9% drop in attendance. Not sure quite what to make of that. I do believe MLB was warning teams to expect attendance to be down at least 10% across the board due to economic conditions. If thats the case I guess the drop off was expected and acceptable. However, our 2009 attendance figure is the lowest since we have had since 2004. Given the needs of our team, desire to have a high (competitve) payroll, and the recent economic conditions, I wonder what the drop off will really do in the off season. Will this force the sox to reduce payroll from last year? Can losses be recouped from say spring training tickets. Should both spring and regular season games ticket prices be reduced in order to attract more attendees? Some tough business things for the sox to consider it will be an interesting off-season.

My personal opinion is that if KW was really "a bit over extended" as he claimed to be after Peavy and Rios, and he said he was 'counting on continued contention and support down the stretch', something that obviously didn't happen, the sox could be in for more of a contractor off season. I think given the previous realization as well as a drop off in attendance, payroll will be reduced a bit and ticket prices fall as well. Usually when something goes really right or really wrong, it gets reflected in the next seasons figures (like the attendance and payroll boom after the 05 WS, even though 05 attendance was rather modest).

Edited by joeynach

There was also an 11% across the board ticket price hike, no? And I think a 10% increase in parking fees? So a 9% dropoff isn't that bad.

Losing the sponsorships and advertising is probably more of a concern. Of course, it's hard to pitch your park for advertising when your attendance went down--so there's that.

Edited by JorgeFabregas

So here is something to chew on for all the people who tend to think that contending for a division title but not winning it is no better than spending the season mired in the cellar...

The Sox sent out playoff ticket invoices in late August, back when the team was still in it. Season ticket holders had to pay in advance for the tickets, or else not only not get to buy the tickets, but also lose their "place" in seniority and have to start over the next season. This playoff ticket invoice was well over half of the total cost of a season plan. Any games not played, becomes your 2010 deposit. So, even if some season holders were hesitant, most of them will have paid, to not miss the potential playoff ticket opportunity, and to not lose out for the next season. This will ultimately result in a much higher renewal rate than if the team was far enough out that no playoff invoices were sent.

Secondarily, the team does sell some pro-rated season plans in-season, and they were offering some post-season tickets if you went in during the season - and again, until early September, the team appeared to still be in the chase.

So, the fact that the team was in it for as long as they were, means a much higher number of 2010 seaon holders than if they hadn't been. Just something to consider.

QUOTE (JorgeFabregas @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 03:25 PM)
There was also an 11% across the board ticket price hike, no? And I think a 10% increase in parking fees? So a 9% dropoff isn't that bad.

Losing the sponsorships and advertising is probably more of a concern. Of course, it's hard to pitch your park for advertising when your attendance went down--so there's that.

Isnt this just going to be a simple supply demand function now. Prices went up and demand for tickets and parking fell off. Now to offset the excess in supply of parking and tickets, prices will come down. This will also increase the demand for complimentary goods such as concessions, souvenirs, and other game day purchases.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 02:41 PM)
Isnt this just going to be a simple supply demand function now. Prices went up and demand for tickets and parking fell off. Now to offset the excess in supply of parking and tickets, prices will come down. This will also increase the demand for complimentary goods such as concessions, souvenirs, and other game day purchases.

I only remember once ticket price decrease for the Sox. I bet they keep tickets the same price--but I agree with you that lowering the price might increase revenue.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 12:38 PM)
So here is something to chew on for all the people who tend to think that contending for a division title but not winning it is no better than spending the season mired in the cellar...

The Sox sent out playoff ticket invoices in late August, back when the team was still in it. Season ticket holders had to pay in advance for the tickets, or else not only not get to buy the tickets, but also lose their "place" in seniority and have to start over the next season. This playoff ticket invoice was well over half of the total cost of a season plan. Any games not played, becomes your 2010 deposit. So, even if some season holders were hesitant, most of them will have paid, to not miss the potential playoff ticket opportunity, and to not lose out for the next season. This will ultimately result in a much higher renewal rate than if the team was far enough out that no playoff invoices were sent.

Secondarily, the team does sell some pro-rated season plans in-season, and they were offering some post-season tickets if you went in during the season - and again, until early September, the team appeared to still be in the chase.

So, the fact that the team was in it for as long as they were, means a much higher number of 2010 seaon holders than if they hadn't been. Just something to consider.

I believe MLB rules indicate that you do not have to purchase playoff tickets to keep your season tickets for the next season. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was a season ticket holder for the Angels for years (first year I haven't been one in like 6 or 7 years) and you can opt out of playoff tickets without any impact to your season seats and from what our ticket rep said that is MLB standard.

Now not buying playoff tickets could maybe hinder your chances of an upgrade but thats about it and my rep had told me it also didn't impact our upgrade potential. Again, maybe my rep was incorrect but I had the same seats for the whole time period and only bought playoff tickets half the time.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 03:10 PM)
I believe MLB rules indicate that you do not have to purchase playoff tickets to keep your season tickets for the next season. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I was a season ticket holder for the Angels for years (first year I haven't been one in like 6 or 7 years) and you can opt out of playoff tickets without any impact to your season seats and from what our ticket rep said that is MLB standard.

Now not buying playoff tickets could maybe hinder your chances of an upgrade but thats about it and my rep had told me it also didn't impact our upgrade potential. Again, maybe my rep was incorrect but I had the same seats for the whole time period and only bought playoff tickets half the time.

This was expressed to us as season ticket holders via letter and email - in order to guarantee your 2010 season tickets in the same location, you had to buy playoff tickets. If you don't, yeah, MAYBE you can still be a season holder, but you lose your place in line.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 02:46 PM)
Not really. The markets are improving, but unemployment is still on the rise. Ticket sales will be determined by the latter.

The stock market can be looked at as a leading indicator of the economy. By the start of next season, things project to be a lot better than 2009. Also, it looks as if Chicago will get the bid for the 2016 Olympic Games - that's going to create a ton of local jobs. This year's attendance figures were very good considering the product on the field and increased ticket prices during a recession.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 01:32 PM)
The stock market can be looked at as a leading indicator of the economy. By the start of next season, things project to be a lot better than 2009

Greater investment in the markets doesn't mean much if the unemployment rate is at almost 10% and still rising. People who are out of work or are in fear of losing their jobs tend to not spend money on extras like baseball tickets. You're also not accounting for the inflation that will hit in another year or so after all of the excess money that the Fed has printed over the past year and a half floods the market. The current interest rates are so low that the Fed can't lower them further to fight the impending inflation. In addition, our over-dependence on investment from overseas (especially China) will mandate that interest rates will increase, which will further weaken the economy. These two factors very well may trigger another recession in 2011.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 04:11 PM)
Greater investment in the markets doesn't mean much if the unemployment rate is at almost 10% and still rising. People who are out of work or are in fear of losing their jobs tend to not spend money on extras like baseball tickets. You're also not accounting for the inflation that will hit in another year or so after all of the excess money that the Fed has printed over the past year and a half floods the market. The current interest rates are so low that the Fed can't lower them further to fight the impending inflation. In addition, our over-dependence on investment from overseas (especially China) will mandate that interest rates will increase, which will further weaken the economy. These two factors very well may trigger another recession in 2011.

I agree and disagree. As one of the 10%, I still would buy game day tickets. I can't and won't buy season tickets or a package, but I would still buy tickets to a couple of games a year if I can.

Also, I believe unemployment rates have leveled off and actually went down in Illinois last month. In fact, I know of many people that have gotten jobs in the last month and all of a sudden I have two, possibly three interviews this week.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 01:29 PM)
This was expressed to us as season ticket holders via letter and email - in order to guarantee your 2010 season tickets in the same location, you had to buy playoff tickets. If you don't, yeah, MAYBE you can still be a season holder, but you lose your place in line.

Wow, MLB must have changed something. That is pretty bush-league though.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)

Actually not paying for playoff tickets did not lose seniority. What lost seniority was paying for playoff tickets but asking for a refund for any unused money. The Sox unfortunately fell apart right when the deposit was due and a lot of accounts did not send in playoff money which is a change from last year. Not only will the Sox not have the extra playoff gates, they won't have as many accounts locked into next season which can hurt them if they want to raise prices again. If they could have won a couple more on the roadtrip from hell, they would have had a lot more of a commitment.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 03:29 PM)

Not true.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 07:06 PM)
Not true.

Sure it is. You either had to pay the full invoice or lose your place - whether or not you did it as a partial refund after or not is semantics. Either way, you had to pay the amount, or lose your place.

Here is what it said:

By selecting 'Yes' in the dropdown menu to the right, you will receive a refund approximately 45 days after the last 2009 White Sox regular season or postseason game and your current season ticket location will be forfeited.

I understand that by selecting 'Yes', I am electing to give up my current season ticket location(s) for the 2010 and future seasons and that the White Sox may assign this location to another season ticket holder.

By selecting 'No', all refunds from unplayed Postseason games will be applied as a non-refundable deposit towards 2010 season tickets.

so, I could ask to get a refund or not ask for tickets, and either way, lose my place.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 07:05 PM)
Actually not paying for playoff tickets did not lose seniority. What lost seniority was paying for playoff tickets but asking for a refund for any unused money. The Sox unfortunately fell apart right when the deposit was due and a lot of accounts did not send in playoff money which is a change from last year. Not only will the Sox not have the extra playoff gates, they won't have as many accounts locked into next season which can hurt them if they want to raise prices again. If they could have won a couple more on the roadtrip from hell, they would have had a lot more of a commitment.

Your logic is strange here. So you think that bringing in SOME more ticket holders (debatable how many) will equal NOT having as many accounts locked up as they would have WITHOUT the playoffs?

Playoff tickets meant more people in, its quite clear. The only question is how many more, and of course we can only guess at that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
Your logic is strange here. So you think that bringing in SOME more ticket holders (debatable how many) will equal NOT having as many accounts locked up as they would have WITHOUT the playoffs?

Playoff tickets meant more people in, its quite clear. The only question is how many more, and of course we can only guess at that.

Its not like last year when all the accounts paid up. This year I believe less than half did not. My account was one that did not. When you have 15k locked in like they did last offseason, it afforded them the opportunity price-wise to do things they may not be able to do with 5000-7000 a game locked in. The renewal rate, even if prices remain the same won't be nearly as high as last season. although I agree with you if they didn't have a playoff invoice, it would be even lower. The people who paid the invoice were going to re-new anyway. What would be interesting is how many accounts asked for refunds. You may lose your place in line but the line is going to be a little shorter if you have to go to the back.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 07:30 PM)
Sure it is. You either had to pay the full invoice or lose your place - whether or not you did it as a partial refund after or not is semantics. Either way, you had to pay the amount, or lose your place.

Here is what it said:

so, I could ask to get a refund or not ask for tickets, and either way, lose my place.

No, because if you don't buy playoff tickets, there is no refund. Penalizing customers by making them buy tickets for games that may not be played is not a business practice MLB wants to be in, and if the Sox made the playoffs, they would have no problem selling those seats anyway.

You should talk to your rep. I did. I'm getting an invoice for half my total due in November. At WSI there were several people that verified it with their reps as well. Usually, I just pay it, but I just didn't believe this year and even though I think they probably will raise prices again, and I will renew anyway, I didn't want to be held hostage again. The only way you lose your place is paying for playoff tickets and asking for a refund. Skipping the playoff option did not affect your status.

Edited by Dick Allen