And That's a White Sox Winner !

CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 11:37 PM)
Beckham making a late ROY push, doubt it gets him ahead of Porcello or Andrus since they're in the playoff hunt, but you never know...

I think it does. Porcello has really fallen off, and Andrus is giving limited offensive production. The real issue here is Brett Anderson, Jeff Niemann, and Andrew Bailey.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
I think it does. Porcello has really fallen off

I beg to differ. If anything, he's stepped up recently, what with his 3.38 ERA in August and September thus far. He's also put up a 4.14 ERA in both the first and second halves of the season, and has really been an anchor in the Detroit rotation.

Ima mention this also as no one else has stated, but special props to Tyler Flowers calling the game with Danks. I gotta say since he's come up here, and from what scouts and personel have said about him as a catcher, his game calling is very good. He hasn't looked to the dugout that much (if at all from what I've seen) on his game calling to pitchers. Very bright future for this kid.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 28, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
Beckham is really starting to look like a good fielder at third. He should be there for a long time.

Can Lexi improve enough to be next to him at ss for the next 10 years?

Does anyone else agree with me that long term we need Beckham playing SS or 2B? He appears to be a .300 25 hr and 100 RBI type guy and we believe he can play the middle infield. Having those types of numbers at that position gives us a substantial advantage over our competition. Putting him at 3B is fine, and he is getting much better there defensively, but having him at 3B negates some of his abilities, however. I hear this rarely discussed on this site but for me this is a HUGE thing. Having him at SS or 2B gives us flexibility and talent that very few teams have in the middle infield, especially with Alexei there as well.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 07:45 AM)
Does anyone else agree with me that long term we need Beckham playing SS or 2B? He appears to be a .300 25 hr and 100 RBI type guy and we believe he can play the middle infield. Having those types of numbers at that position gives us a substantial advantage over our competition. Putting him at 3B is fine, and he is getting much better there defensively, but having him at 3B negates some of his abilities, however. I hear this rarely discussed on this site but for me this is a HUGE thing. Having him at SS or 2B gives us flexibility and talent that very few teams have in the middle infield, especially with Alexei there as well.

There were several substantial debates on this topic on this site throughout the season, but the conversation died down when it became obvious that for this season, the best spot for him was 3B since the Sox had nobody else to competently play the position. I'm sure this topic will re-emerge in the offseason...or maybe you've kick started it again.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 03:49 AM)
Beckham is really starting to look like a good fielder at third. He should be there for a long time.

Can Lexi improve enough to be next to him at ss for the next 10 years?

If you listen to Ozzie the infield of Getz at 2B, Ramirez at SS and Beckham at 3B will be our future for a long time. Jon Danks picthed a mahvelus game last night.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 01:29 AM)
I beg to differ. If anything, he's stepped up recently, what with his 3.38 ERA in August and September thus far. He's also put up a 4.14 ERA in both the first and second halves of the season, and has really been an anchor in the Detroit rotation.

His BB/9 and K/9 are awful. He gives up 9.4 h/9, and his homerun rate is inflated. As opposed to Brett Anderson who is putting up better numbers with a weaker offense and defense behind him.