Jenks, Floyd, Carrasco done for the year - possibly Buehrle

knightni

At 93 1/3 innings pitched, with 89 1/3 coming as a reliever to top the American League, Carrasco was hoping to get to 100 for the season for just the second time in his career. He also could have had a shot to start in this last week, a role he has coveted since joining the White Sox, with a few rotation slots potentially open.

Even with those missed opportunities based on Carrasco not pitching again in 2009, he walks away from the season understandably satisfied with his overall body of work.

"If there were any questions about me after last year, I kind of re-established myself," said Carrasco, who has a 5-1 record with a 3.76 ERA and is eligible for arbitration in 2010. "I wanted to get to 100 innings because I think that would show these guys they can rely on me to throw a lot of innings in a season. But I did it consistently over a long season. I'm definitely happy with what I did."

For all the s*** around here about ex-Royals relievers, we've sure found a gem in Carrasco. This guy is such a huge benefit to our staff.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 03:50 PM)
I don't know what they did, as I don't work for Don Cooper, but all you have to do is look at his numbers and his peripherals to know something was done.

I think Sox fans give Cooper more credit than he deserves. If he "fixes" players then why did Vazquez, Aardsma, Masset and MacDougal struggle for us (by varying degrees) and excel else where? Do you think their fans are saying their pitching coach "fixed" them? Why didn't Sisco succeed with the Sox?

Sometimes a change a scenery is all that is needed. Sometimes patience, which our organization lacks, IMO.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 11:10 AM)
I think Sox fans give Cooper more credit than he deserves. If he "fixes" players then why did Vazquez, Aardsma, Masset and MacDougal struggle for us (by varying degrees) and excel else where? Do you think their fans are saying their pitching coach "fixed" them? Why didn't Sisco succeed with the Sox?

Sometimes a change a scenery is all that is needed. Sometimes patience, which our organization lacks, IMO.

That's okay. So do the fans.

I think we all know Cooper doesnt fix everyone, but his success rate with discarded projects has been very noticeable. He isnt perfect though.

And of the list you just gave, I would say Massett is the only one who has really excelled elsewhere. Aardsma started off strong, but tailed off just like he did with the Sox. Sisco blew out his arm, and MacDougal was playing in a pressure free environment and still wasnt all that great

I'm not sure Cooper really "fixed" anything with Carrasco, and if anyone did, it was probably Richard Dotson in Charlotte. The Royals didn't see Carrasco as a starter, so he went over to Japan and while he was there he got hurt. Then he got healthy, came back, and found a niche in the bullpen. He's a great baseball success story actually, one of the rare ones. Getting cut from an MLB team that doesn't a see a future in you, then coming back from the Japan death tour and an (elbow?) injury, then coming back up through the minors again to become one of the top LR out there right now - great story.

But to the post, Coop can't give Javy a brain.

MacDougal and Sisco couldn't repeat their deliveries with any kind of consistency, so that's not much to work with.

Aardsma lost all confidence in himself and was still walking guys at an ugly pace when he was with the Red Sox - and BTW the Giants, Cubs, Sox, and Red Sox gave up on him too, so it wasn't just Coop. Aardsma is still walking guys at a frightening pace with the Mariners and it's highly unlikely that Aardsma has "found" anything. He'll be terrible next year IMO. Look at his carrer BB/9, look at his career WHIP, and notice that everything is pretty much where it normally is with Aardsma expect that WHIP this year, which is only a product of his H/9 ratio. That H/9 ratio is going to skyrocket once again in 2010 because he's still wild as f*** in the zone. Once it does he'll be right back to the old Aardsma.

I don't know about Masset, but others here have said the Reds are letting him air it out like he had apparently been doing with Texas. I don't know if that is the case, but Masset seems to have found some control. Control of that fastball was his main problem because he has enough velocity and movement on it to get people out if he can throw good strikes, so maybe they made a small mechanical adjustment in Cincinnati or something. But of all those names, Masset is the only guy you could make an argument for Coop/the Sox missing the boat on.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

Vazquez is in the NL, where he has always been good. Masset obviously needed to develop and mysteriously added 5mph on his fastball. Aardsma and McD are garbage, they will revert back to their old forms soon enough.