Fish or Cut Bait - players who are Rule V eligible

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
Brandon Hynick

Brian Omogrosso

Christian Marrero

John Shelby

Stefan Gartrell

Miguel Socolovich

Luis Sierra

Jake Rasner

Derek Rodriguez

David Cook

Ehren Wassermann

Josh Kroeger

Wes Whisler

Carlos Torres

Cole Armstrong

Lucas Harrell

Fernando Hernandez

We have three spots to add players right now, and then add in the guys we let walk in free agency, minus the guys who we sign.

Also Torres is on the 40 man roster right now.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
Brandon Hynick

Brian Omogrosso

Christian Marrero

John Shelby

Stefan Gartrell

Miguel Socolovich

Luis Sierra

Jake Rasner

Derek Rodriguez

David Cook

Ehren Wassermann

Josh Kroeger

Wes Whisler

Carlos Torres

Cole Armstrong

Lucas Harrell

Fernando Hernandez

How do you plan to fit that many guys into, I'd guess, about 5 open slots that will be around to work with by December?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:49 AM)
Also, why on earth would we keep Wes Whisler? His only value is that he's our only lefty above A-Ball, really,

Whisler has just been dumped from the 40 man, and no one claimed him. That is the best testimony of his value, really. No one in MLB wanted him on their 40 man roster. There is no point in worrying about someone wanting him for their 25 man.

We should be able to keep Omogrosso. If we don't add him then I doubt anyone else will either given his injury.

Marrero, Shelby, and Gartrell will be added IMO.

Harrell shouldn't be dropped from the 40-man, and if he goes it'll be in a trade.

I'd like to keep Socolovich but I think he's a goner in the minor league phase. Rasner possibly too.

Cook, Wassermann, Fernando Hernandez, DRod, Whisler, Kroeger and possibly Cole Armstrong should all find jobs to compete for in another organization. I'd say all of them except Armstrong have a shot a winning a job with a bad club with DRod, Hernandez and Wassermann being the best bets.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:40 AM)
How do you plan to fit that many guys into, I'd guess, about 5 open slots that will be around to work with by December?

I didn't say all of them, those would be the list I'd work from though. Narrowed down from the rest.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 12:52 PM)
We should be able to keep Omogrosso. If we don't add him then I doubt anyone else will either given his injury.

Marrero, Shelby, and Gartrell will be added IMO.

Harrell shouldn't be dropped from the 40-man, and if he goes it'll be in a trade.

I'd like to keep Socolovich but I think he's a goner in the minor league phase. Rasner possibly too.

Cook, Wassermann, Fernando Hernandez, DRod, Whisler, Kroeger and possibly Cole Armstrong should all find jobs to compete for in another organization. I'd say all of them except Armstrong have a shot a winning a job with a bad club with DRod, Hernandez and Wassermann being the best bets.

Burdie and Corley both have looked good, and I'd think they have a good chance of going in the minor league phase as well. I doubt either are put on the 40.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 09:08 AM)
Have you watched them play???

I watched Cruz in college (actually liked him, thought he'd rise up through the system but at his age, his window is closing) and so far judging by your assessment of players you either fall in love with these guys (esp. the old ones) too easily or you are terrible in judging them. Unless the sox feel they should keep them to trade or to be good clubhouse guys they have no future with the sox org. and ever since you've said you have "seen them play" your chin has been so far up in the air when only a few guys you've named make sense at all and this is comming from a guy who hated Beckham comming out of college. No I don't get to see some of these guys when they hit the minors after college, or sometimes high school ball when I get to see them or some that I actually played with but unless they have potential, changed their style, or are younger I don't see how you can deemed them great. I also saw Ricky Brooks and still know the sox are high on him even if he was overhyped. I miss the old JPN when he had no idea that he was a rare guy watching Baron games and he just "watched" the games. No doubt I'm not perfect in judging right either and if I was I would be a scout. Said it in the past I thought Jeremy Reed when gonna be a star (especially when he signed a baseball for me when I went down to Birmingham for a family reunion and fell in love with him :D) and of course that never happened, but the old' "oh you don't know anything cause you haven't seen them play" only works to some degree with posters.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 03:17 PM)
I watched Cruz in college (actually liked him, thought he'd rise up through the system but at his age, his window is closing) and so far judging by your assessment of players you either fall in love with these guys (esp. the old ones) too easily or you are terrible in judging them. Unless the sox feel they should keep them to trade or to be good clubhouse guys they have no future with the sox org. and ever since you've said you have "seen them play" your chin has been so far up in the air when only a few guys you've named make sence at all and this is comming from a guy who hated Beckham comming out of college. No I don't get to see some of these guys when they hit the minors after college, or sometimes high school ball when I get to see them or some that I actually played with but unless they have potential, changed their style, or are younger I don't see how you can deemed them great. I also saw Ricky Brooks and still know the sox are high on him even if he was overhyped. I miss the old JPN when he had no idea that he was a rare guy watching Baron games and he just "watched" the games. No doubt I'm not perfect in judging right either and if I was I would be a scout. Said it in the past I thought Jeremy Reed when gonna be a star (especially when he signed a baseball for me when I went down to Birmingham for a family reunion and fell in love with him :D) and of course that never happened, but the old' "oh you don't know anything cause you haven't seen them play" only works to some degree with posters.

I never said I hated Beckham coming out of college, I admitted that I didn't know anything about him and that I had tunnel vision in regards to Justin Smoak. As you can see, I've fully embraced my dumbass statement during the 2008 draft. I felt like an idiot about that during the 2008 College World Series, let alone the crow I ate on that one this year. When it comes to certain players, I think they should be retained as AAA players, expecially in the case of David Cook, Lee Cruz and Robbie Hudson. It's difficult not to like David Cook, who's hit 125 homeruns in the minors and has major league power. I just want him to get a chance...anywhere. I don't know who you think I've deemed "great," I only talk about what I see and what potential there is.

I don't understand why you're accusing me of being pompous, I attend almosy every Barons game and I was asked to write about it as frequently as possible on Future Sox and here. I've been inundated with questions about the players since April. I have seen them play in person more than anyone, that's just a statement of fact. I never said you don't know anything, I just asked if you had seen them play. A simple question. You could have asked in the first place why I included them on my list and we could have discussed it without strife. I don't understand this comment at all..."I miss the old JPN when he had no idea that he was a rare guy watching Baron games and he just "watched" the games." I wasn't the first person on this board who was a season ticket holder with the Barons. People have been asking my opinion all year, what exactly would you like me to do? If I'm excited by what I see in a player, I want to share it with you guys so you can get excited too. Where's the harm in that? Things were different this year with all the scrutiny on the Barons. That's not my fault. I've just tried to be a gateway of information to everybody. Let's keep in mind that I am in no way a professional scout, nor would I want to be. So my opinion is just that, an opinion. My observations are just that, observations. I've been asked to share them, don't point a finger at me and accuse me of being a smug know it all. I'm just passionate about minor league baseball and I support the guys who play their butts off who deserve a chance. You can't discount all but a few of the minor leaguers just because they're not super studs. 4 out 6 teams made the playoffs and won a lot of games during the year. I think that means the Sox have a lot of talent in the system to choose from.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 03:49 PM)
I never said I hated Beckham coming out of college, I admitted that I didn't know anything about him and that I had tunnel vision in regards to Justin Smoak. As you can see, I've fully embraced my dumbass statement during the 2008 draft. When it comes to certain players, I think they should be retained as AAA players, expecially in the case of David Cook, Lee Cruz and Robbie Hudson. It's difficult not to like David Cook, who's hit 125 homeruns in the minors and has major league power. I just want him to get a chance...anywhere. I don't know who you think I've deemed "great," I only talk about what I see and what potential there is.

I don't understand why you're accusing me of being pompous, I attend almosy every Barons game and I was asked to write about it as frequently as possible on Future Sox and here. I've been inundated with questions about the players since April. I have seen them play in person more than anyone, that's just a statement of fact. I never said you don't know anything, I just asked if you had seen them play. A simple question. You could have asked in the first place why I included them on my list and we could have discussed it without strife. I don't understand this comment at all..."I miss the old JPN when he had no idea that he was a rare guy watching Baron games and he just "watched" the games. People have been asking my opinion all year, what exactly would you like me to do? If I'm excited by what I see in a player, I want to share it with you guys so you can get excited too. Where's the harm in that? Things were different this year with all the scrutiny on the Barons. That's not my fault. I've just tried to be a gateway of information to everybody. Let's keep in mind that I am in no way a professional scourt, nor would I want to be. So my opinion is just that, an opinion. My observations are just that, observations. I've been asked to share them, don't point a finger at me and accuse me of being a smug know it all. I'm just passionate about minor league baseball and I support the guys who play their butts off who deserve a chance. You can't discount all but a few of the minor leaguers just because they're not super studs. 4 out 6 teams made the playoffs and won a lot of games during the year. I think that means the Sox have a lot of talent in the system to choose from.

Well I'll use the "Don't trust this man" from your sig next time then. :D And i'll personally apologize for the miscommunication of your question which I thought you were taking a shot at me. Ya I also listen to guys like you, Ozzie Ball, Rex Hudler, scenario, Jim Spencer etc.. most of them who actually watched the games as well, and some who I agree with more than others sometimes cause of what I have seen from them and their quick adjustments since college/high school which is believable. I just don't understand keeping the old guys/giving them a roster space unless they are late bloomers or really are good guys for the clubhouse which is what I'm saying. David Cook will never get a chance here so why keep him in taking away playing time for other younger prospects? Unless it's another minor league deal and unless the sox stop dicking around with him and put him in AAA let him thrive elsewhere. I still don't know how you think you come across sometimes, but personally I'll apologize that I came across too strong in this regard and just like both of us watching our minors and spects. :)

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 03:58 PM)
Well I'll use the "Don't trust this man" from your sig next time then. :D And i'll personally apologize for the miscommunication of your question which I thought you were taking a shot at me. Ya I also listen to guys like you, Ozzie Ball, Rex Hudler, scenario, Jim Spencer etc.. most of them who actually watched the games as well, and some who I agree with more than others sometimes cause of what I have seen from them and their quick adjustments since college/high school which is believable. I just don't understand keeping the old guys/giving them a roster space unless they are late bloomers or really are good guys for the clubhouse which is what I'm saying. David Cook will never get a chance here so why keep him in taking away playing time for other younger prospects? Unless it's another minor league deal and unless the sox stop dicking around with him and put him in AAA let him thrive elsewhere. I still don't know how you think you come across sometimes, but personally I'll apologize that I came across too strong in this regard and just like both of us watching our minors and spects. :)

I had a difficult time not telling David to get as far away from the White Sox organization as possible. I don't want to see him go, but I know it's for the best. What did you mean by this..."I still don't know how you think you come across sometimes"?

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 04:03 PM)
I had a difficult time not telling David to get as far away from the White Sox organization as possible. I don;t want to see him go, but I know it's for the best. What did you mean by this..."I still don't know how you think you come across sometimes"?

I'll pm it to you, but ya I have to feel bad for David. He's been getting the ultimate screw job it seems for alot of opportunities.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 04:04 PM)
Ya I have to feel bad for David Cook. He's been getting the ultimate screw job it seems for alot of opportunities.

I find it hard to understand why he was sent back to AA this year after absolutely destroying Southern League pitching in 2008.

Just makes no sense to me unless there was someone in AAA they felt HAD to give playing time to instead of Cook... which obviously was not the case given the utter garbage we had in Charlotte most of the year.

I'd love to hear someone in the Sox player development system give us the real story.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)
I find it hard to understand why he was sent back to AA this year after absolutely destroying Southern League pitching in 2008.

Just makes no sense to me unless there was someone in AAA they felt HAD to give playing time to instead of Cook... which obviously was not the case given the utter garbage we had in Charlotte most of the year.

I'd love to hear someone in the Sox player development system give us the real story.

The sad thing is, his parents said that he was "devastated" because he missed out on the Southern League All Star events. I say keep some of the guys on my list and put them in AAA. AAA is usually for veterans more so than prospects anyway, why not keep some organizational continuity and retain these guys? No need to go out and sign the Michael Restovich's and the Keith Ginter's when you can get the same production from Lee Cruz, David Cook, Robbie Hudson and other guys and have built in team chemistry to boot.

QUOTE (scenario @ Sep 30, 2009 -> 04:47 PM)

I've said before, I think there is something none of us know that is holding him back. Has to be. I just don't know what it is.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
They must have really liked Santos' arm as an infielder, becasue he didn't produce results as a pitcher last year. I really do like Loman though.

Santos had a good fastball, hit 99 on the gun. But no control. Loman will only be 24 before next season.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
Post 1 updated for Loman and Santos.

But, if they are not on the 40, are they still Rule V eligible?

I don't think Loman is, he only played what, 2 years in the Angels system?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (JPN366 @ Oct 1, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
I don't think Loman is, he only played what, 2 years in the Angels system?

Chicago White Sox

Signed: RHP Jacob Marceaux (re-signed), LHP Wander Perez (re-signed)

Granted free agency: 1B Wilson Betemit

Recalled: RHP Lucas Harrell, RHP Jon Link, RHP Jeff Marquez, RHP Clevelan Santeliz, C Cole Armstrong, 3B Dayan Viciedo

Outrighted to Triple-A and removed from 40-man: OF Dewayne Wise

I posted this in multiple forums not sure which is most appropriate, but does this means that Harrell, Link and others are not Rule V eligible, and I am wondering what the reasoning is for moving Viciedo to the 40 man.