Fish or Cut Bait - players who are Rule V eligible

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 06:58 PM)
Chicago White Sox

Signed: RHP Jacob Marceaux (re-signed), LHP Wander Perez (re-signed)

Granted free agency: 1B Wilson Betemit

Recalled: RHP Lucas Harrell, RHP Jon Link, RHP Jeff Marquez, RHP Clevelan Santeliz, C Cole Armstrong, 3B Dayan Viciedo

Outrighted to Triple-A and removed from 40-man: OF Dewayne Wise

I posted this in multiple forums not sure which is most appropriate, but does this means that Harrell, Link and others are not Rule V eligible, and I am wondering what the reasoning is for moving Viciedo to the 40 man.

Those 6 players were already on the 40 man roster (so they're all rule V ineligible) including Viciedo who signed a major league deal so he was placed on the 40 when he signed. They're the only 6 players on the 40 man roster that weren't in the majors at the end of the season, such players are "recalled" by each team once the season ends or outrighted to the minors and removed from the 40 man roster.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
Those 6 players were already on the 40 man roster (so they're all rule V ineligible) including Viciedo who signed a major league deal so he was placed on the 40 when he signed. They're the only 6 players on the 40 man roster that weren't in the majors at the end of the season, such players are "recalled" by each team once the season ends or outrighted to the minors and removed from the 40 man roster.

I'm kinda surprised they elected to protect Armstrong.

I know Marquez has been a popular target because of disappointment with the Swisher trade... But outside of the injury issues, I'm not sure it's warranted.

In spring training this year, he was throwing in the low 90's and had nice movement on a couple of his pitches. A potential starter who can do that has some value.

So, IMO, it's worth at least one more shot to see if he can be rehabbed and salvaged.

He needs another pitch though. Hopefully, the organization can help him develop a cutter.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 01:35 PM)
Marquez hasn't had success at any level in years. Whatever concerns their are for him are very much warranted. He was a reach even before this year.

What are you talking about?

The highest ERA he had at any level in the minors, until he got hurt in 2008, was 3.65.

In 2007, he looked very good in AA... at 22 years old... good enough for him to be rated one of the Yankee's top 10 prospects.

But the last two seasons (2008-2009) he's had injury issues.

So, I don't get why people are treating him like he's garbage.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 02:00 PM)

The highest ERA he had at any level in the minors, until he got hurt in 2008, was 3.65.

In 2007, he looked very good in AA... at 22 years old... good enough for him to be rated one of the Yankee's top 10 prospects.

But the last two seasons (2008-2009) he's had injury issues.

So, I don't get why people are treating him like he's garbage.

I highly doubt that KW and the Sox are giving up on him yet, for the reasons you mentioned, his injury, and what the scouts saw in him. He'll start at AAA Charlotte in 2010, and if he's successful, he'll be right back in the mix.

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 03:00 PM)

Oh, my bad. I must have overlooked the ERA and saw that his career averages for h/9 (9.8), and BB/9 (3.2) were that of a decidedly, mediocre pitcher.

Edited by Thunderbolt