World's best chocolate...

bmags

So, my cousin told me a story of when she was in the UK. She was on a bus and two Brits looked at her and said "are you American?" "Yes" "Your chocolate sucks" and, being entirely unconfrontational and disinterested in the topic, she said "Okay." and continued looking out the window.

I on the other hand, would have claimed seniority on creating better arguments in the U.S., or pointed out how stupid they were for clearly assuming that Nestle and Hershey's were the best we had to offer. ANd for their sake, I hope Nestle buys out Cadbury so they can cry in their awful food.

But, my roommate here in Brazil works with chocolate, and I have to say it's pretty good. So we're going to go two ways on this, which country has the best commercial chocolate, and what country you had the best chocolate in, specialty shops highlighted.

For me, the german chocolate "kinderschokolade" has the best commercial chocolate. It's delicious and addicting. I just found out on a wikipedia search it's actually owned by an Italian group, but it was their german division that created it, so I'll give it to Germany.

For straight up best chocolate I ever had, it was a specialty shop in Brussels, Belgium. It damn near knocked me on my ass and I couldn't speak it was so good. Now, I rarely go into chocolate shops in the U.S., as it usually doesn't seem worth my precious pennies.

So I was wondering what everyone elses impressions were, best chocolate shop they've been to and where, and impressions on best commercial chocolate. I'd imagine Germany, Swiss and belgium should get some high marks. I'm also very bored.

I've never had the privilege of going into an actual Belgian chocolate shop, but the Belgian stuff that makes it out this way is darn good.

Still, nothing beats plain old Hershey Special Dark as far as the PERFECT compliment to a fresh (current year's vintage) Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 11:54 AM)
I've never had the privilege of going into an actual Belgian chocolate shop, but the Belgian stuff that makes it out this way is darn good.

Still, nothing beats plain old Hershey Special Dark as far as the PERFECT compliment to a fresh (current year's vintage) Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale.

New Belgium's 1554 Black Ale combined with any high quality dark chocolate. You'll thank me later.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 05:39 PM)
New Belgium's 1554 Black Ale combined with any high quality dark chocolate. You'll thank me later.

No new belgium's to be found for me for a while. So I'll be mad at you now.

To clarify, I actually like hershey's. But, if you are expecting the really rich beautifully crafted chocolate, they aren't the best. But Hershey's plus cheese plus beer or wine...is a f***ing delight.

Traveled in Europe a bit including Belgium, Germany, and Switzerland. Took a tour of a chocolate factory in Cologne, Germany right off of the Rhine River. Didn't understand a lick of what they said on the tour (speak no German). However, the sample at the end of it was the best I've ever had. I also have no idea what the place was called, but could probably find it if I went out there again.

I'm actually a big fan of the Cadbury that is made in the U.K., not the Cadbury stuff made in the U.S.