Another reason why the Pirates are still a bush league organization

Kenny Hates Prospects

According to MLBTradeRumors, Zach Duke was one out away from a complete game last night, having thrown 103 pitches, and in an 11-1 ballgame, and the Pirates pulled him. Now the team president is saying that they didn't make the move to weaken Duke's argument during salary arbitration. There's no reason for pulling that s*** in the Major Leagues. What a f***ing joke.

That could end up hurting the Pirates in front of an arbitor not help them. You get to argue your case. The Duke camp could use an argument that his numbers would be higher if the gold glove centerfielder was still with the team as well as the lead-off hitter and what not.

Duke will be traded before the start of next season anyway.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)
That could end up hurting the Pirates in front of an arbitor not help them. You get to argue your case. The Duke camp could use an argument that his numbers would be higher if the gold glove centerfielder was still with the team as well as the lead-off hitter and what not.

Agree. Capps will be gone too, and probably others.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 03:33 PM)

I know it's an arbiter and all, but if you think the Pirates camp isn't going to discuss how much better defensively McCutcheon is in CF than McLouth with statistics to back it up along with someone to explain what those statistics mean and to use other examples to prove that good defensive players do win gold gloves, then you are crazy. They will cite Bill James, considered to be an expert in his field, saying that Nate McLouth is a poor defensive player and was one of the worst gold glovers of all time.

Most of the time, it doesn't matter, because most players settle outside of arbitration anyways. I actually think the Pirates are headed in the right direction, and without knowing how many pitches Duke threw to the final batter of the game, it's very possible they had him on a 100 pitch count but were going to let him finish the hitter he was on when he hit the 100 pitch mark and pull him come the next batter, no matter what point in the game it was at. I agree that in that spot I think you should let him stay in, but he's not my investment, he's the Pirates'.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 29, 2009 -> 10:59 PM)
i was watching the game. it was a stupid move to give him an ovation from the screaming crowd of 50 who were there for a day game against the dodgers.

:lolhitting I had to go back and read this again. well played :notworthy