U of I Champaign Help

Texsox

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:41 AM)
Is there a check cashing place near campus? Neither my bank nor my daughter's bank is around there.

when I was there, there was a currency exchange on green st., in between wright & sixth.

that was 5 years ago, so it may not be there anymore

Thank you, I forgot about WalMart.

Another item, I was thinking of sending her a few gift cards, what chains are close by campus? Any ice cream, cookie, coffee, etc? I assume Starbucks, any others?

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
Thank you, I forgot about WalMart.

Another item, I was thinking of sending her a few gift cards, what chains are close by campus? Any ice cream, cookie, coffee, etc? I assume Starbucks, any others?

If Labamba is still there get her a gift card worth $100 of chorizo burritos.

Noodles and Co, Chipotle, Potbellys, Jimmy Johns, Cold Stone, all popular chains that are on campus.

I dont know if you could get her one but a GC to Cocomero would be awesome. Its a frozen yougrt and fresh fruit place, pretty good and really the hottest place for dessert now.

Hope that helps.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 08:39 PM)
Nobody does them like LaBamba now either. That's just not that great of a statement.

I havent had their chorizo, but the rest of their food is forgettable. may have to try that chorizo though since Ive been craving some Mexican food lately.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Noodles and Co, Chipotle, Potbellys, Jimmy Johns, Cold Stone, all popular chains that are on campus.

I dont know if you could get her one but a GC to Cocomero would be awesome. Its a frozen yougrt and fresh fruit place, pretty good and really the hottest place for dessert now.

Hope that helps.

That helps, only Cold Stone is near me. Also, I'm hearing about some cookie place that delivers?

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 11:46 AM)
That helps, only Cold Stone is near me. Also, I'm hearing about some cookie place that delivers?

That'd be Insomnia Cookies, they may be a chain, not sure. Theyre a popular late night snack.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 11:37 AM)
Is Garcia's still in Champaign?

Their main location closed, but I believe they have one over the new County Market place. I heard its terrible though, atleast from my Aunt and Uncle who used to love it back when they went here.

Garcia's was never great pizza, but their brand of soft doughy, tomato sauce-soaked pizza did grow on me.

When I was down there I worked at Zorba's gyro joint on Green St. next to Mabel's before it turned into Z's or whatever it turned into. Is that place still around?

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
Garcia's was never great pizza, but their brand of soft doughy, tomato sauce-soaked pizza did grow on me.

When I was down there I worked at Zorba's gyro joint on Green St. next to Mabel's before it turned into Z's or whatever it turned into. Is that place still around?

Yup, they do pretty good business too, its not a dead spot. Not a hugely popular place but the only place for gyros. And the place its by is Za's, which is actually really good for the price (a plateful of decent spaghetti and sausage/meatballs and garlic bread for around $6).

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)

Did you go to Treno's too...ya old fart?

Oh wait...I went there...

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 12:11 PM)
Indeed I did.

Why nobody could make a decent Chicago thin crust pie that close to Chicago still baffles me.

Rosati's opened down here.

Problem is everybody gets drunk and just wants cheap, filling food. And if you want to spend money get Papa Dels.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 01:20 PM)
Rosati's opened down here.

Problem is everybody gets drunk and just wants cheap, filling food. And if you want to spend money get Papa Dels.

Hey Russ, I just noticed you're home town is Ann Arbor. How does your being an Illini sit with all of your UMich friends and families? I bet you catch a lot of cr@p for that.

Go Illini!

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
Hey Russ, I just noticed you're home town is Ann Arbor. How does your being an Illini sit with all of your UMich friends and families? I bet you catch a lot of cr@p for that.

Go Illini!

Long story but I grew up outside of Chicago, moved to Ann Arbor for 8th grade and high school and really didnt like UMich so I went to my dad's alma mater. But I have a pretty big rivalry with my brother (who just graduated from Mich) and my friends from there.

Also, Ann Arbor really is a whore!

Edited by bigruss22