Cowley and his Takes on the Sox

elrockinMT

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 05:50 PM)
Lets just say Clayton Richard does turn into a good starting pitcher, who really gives a s***? If Jake Peavy pitches up to expectations - and there's really no good reason to believe he will not - then the Sox added one of the best pitchers in the game to the top of their rotation for the next 3+ years. You can't always trade garbage for valuable assets, every once in a while you have to give something to get something.

Exactly, why are we so concerned about dramatically winning a trade? We both got what he wanted, and it's not like Peavy isn't producing.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 04:51 PM)
Exactly, why are we so concerned about dramatically winning a trade? We both got what he wanted, and it's not like Peavy isn't producing.

Really the only thing that matter is that it makes our team better. I don't think anyone could argue otherwise.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 01:17 PM)
Little surprised in all the Peavy love he didn't mention Clayton Richard ihas a 1.88 ERA over his last four starts, held the Dodgers to one hit over seven innings in his last start and has allowed 15 hits in his last 24 innings. Richard is 5-2 with a 4.08 ERA and the Padres are 9-3 in his starts.

That deal couldn't have been made w/out including Richard?

Yes I love Peavy. Yes I'm a Richard fan. Yes I realize 10 posters are now going to shrug off Richard as a prospect because he put up these numbers "in the National League."

Yes, it could have been made without Richard, we couldve actually given away a good prospect.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 02:53 PM)
Really the only thing that matter is that it makes our team better. I don't think anyone could argue otherwise.

The one argument you could make that I might have cared about is that Richard in the 5th/4th starter spot might have won us a few games in the black hole after Conteras resumed stinking before Garcia and Peavy arrived. If we were 1 game out, then it'd have been something to be angry about. But really, he wouldn't have made JD hit better.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:07 PM)
The one argument you could make that I might have cared about is that Richard in the 5th/4th starter spot might have won us a few games in the black hole after Conteras resumed stinking before Garcia and Peavy arrived. If we were 1 game out, then it'd have been something to be angry about. But really, he wouldn't have made JD hit better.

Or Pena, Linebrink, Williams, f*** it, our entire bullpen pitch better. This was a TEAM failure all the way around.

Yes, it could have been made without Richard, we couldve actually given away a good prospect.

I won't take the bait.

I'll just say I consider Richard a good prospect and I'm sure the Padres consider him one as well.

I am damn glad we have the stud Peavy. It's OK I guess we didn't "steal" him. I just liked everything about Richard, especially the way he was copying Buehrle. If he keeps pitching like this, and one or two of the others pan out, I'm sure the Pods will be happy with the trade since they wanted to dump Jake for money reasons.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 12:24 PM)
I see those years of working with Kotex boy are working out well for Kotex Jr.

Cowley isn't in the same zip code as Hineybird. Cowley is definitely a carpet bomber and chiken little at times, but he doesn't hate the White Sox organization and at least occaisonally provides humor.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I don't know why you guys hate Cowley so much. Maybe it's his critical comments and jokes at the Sox expense on Twitter. But we're just as critical of the Sox on here as he is. Maybe moreso.

I think he's good. I like reading him and he's informative.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 12:45 PM)
Joe Cowley-Chicago Sun-Times 100209

BIGGEST SURPRISE

No one saw Podsednik coming. His rebirth as a leadoff hitter was one thing, four years after his role on the 2005 World Series team, but his rebirth as a player who can enjoy the game he plays was just as unexpected.

What's this part all about? Was Pods a complete sourpuss that now is in love with the game of baseball? Jokes aside, if Pods does have some newfound joy in playing baseball, that's a good thing.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 09:14 PM)
I don't know why you guys hate Cowley so much. Maybe it's his critical comments and jokes at the Sox expense on Twitter. But we're just as critical of the Sox on here as he is. Maybe moreso.

I think he's good. I like reading him and he's informative.

I bet he's not the same smartass know it all who actually knows nothing when he actually has to talk to these players. He's a hack and always will be.

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 10:55 AM)
What's this part all about? Was Pods a complete sourpuss that now is in love with the game of baseball? Jokes aside, if Pods does have some newfound joy in playing baseball, that's a good thing.

They were talking about it on the Score this morning apparently he had the Carlos Quentin approach to baseball.

He's a hack and always will be.

Why is he a hack? He provides great information and judging from his opinionated twitters, seems to enjoy what he does. Puts some life into his writing.

I think his stuff is good. If he's critical ... who isn't in talking about the Sox? Most of us on here rip certain players/coaches.