how about konerko to the giants for

simba43

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 11:42 AM)
jonathen sanchez maybe a prospect involved some how ?

would free up some cash and bring in a guy with great stuff that could become a great lefty and would possibly allow us to trade another starter for a lefthanded power hitter . i like paulie especially his defense but were not going to resign him and better to move him this off season then at the deadline

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 10:49 PM)
would free up some cash and bring in a guy with great stuff that could become a great lefty and would possibly allow us to trade another starter for a lefthanded power hitter . i like paulie especially his defense but were not going to resign him and better to move him this off season then at the deadline

Don't give up your day job.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
Don't give up your day job.
funny but im retired and i live in a beach house in the philippines so between going boating and fishing theres baseball . anyway yeah i know konerko is another white sox player we need to keep can you tell me why ? i can tell you why not

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
Anyway yeah i know konerko is another white sox player we need to keep can you tell me why ? i can tell you why not

First off do you think the other GMs would agree with you. If you can tell why not, don't you think those GMs see it the same way?

Read Brian's post. There's where I see the big indifference.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:44 PM)
I wouldn't take Sanchez for our 5th starter spot. He's simply not good. He walks the world. I think that would be wasting Konerko.

That's not as dumb as trading another starter. Didn't they just go thru that this season with Contreras, Colon, Richard, Garcia, as the 4,5th starters?

How many teams have 4 solid starters without spending $$$$?

I would not be surprised if there is very little change next year. I doubt it will be through trades.

While the White Sox may be a cheap ass organization when it comes to spending money, I wish fans would realize there is no salary cap in baseball.

"Let's trade so and so to free up some money". Yeah that's fine but you still have to replace them and maybe Dye is signed at $3M is a better value than spending $9M on Figgins. That's always been the White Sox thinking. They never sign the big free agents, they go for the mid tier guys and hope they put of their best career numbers for the Sox. That's what happened when they first signed Dye.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 2, 2009 -> 11:44 PM)
I wouldn't take Sanchez for our 5th starter spot. He's simply not good. He walks the world. I think that would be wasting Konerko.

You have pretty high standards for the 5th starter spot. Without going through every teams '5th' starter or '5th' best starter, I feel secure in saying Sanchez would be as good as it gets. Yeah, he's got control issues. But he's consistently put up some pretty nasty K rates as well. He's also pitched very well since the all-star break: 3.86 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, .208 BAA, 10.78 K/9. Of course, his BB/9 is still over 4. That seems to be his only legitimate issue. Anyway, the Giants would laugh in Kenny's face if he went dangling PK for Sanchez.

Edited by Jordan4life

Konerko has pretty good numbers in homers and ribbies. I don't know why they'd "laugh in his face."

Unless you are assuming he's over the hill at his age.

He's had a f***ing good season, one of our few bright spots during a s***ty year.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 01:56 PM)
You have pretty high standards for the 5th starter spot. Without going through every teams '5th' starter or '5th' best starter, I feel secure in saying Sanchez would be as good as it gets. Yeah, he's got control issues. But he's consistently put up some pretty nasty K rates as well. He's also pitched very well since the all-star break: 3.86 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, .208 BAA, 10.78 K/9. Of course, his BB/9 is still over 4. That seems to be his only legitimate issue. Anyway, the Giants would laugh in Kenny's face if he went dangling PK for Sanchez.
i dont think they would they need a hitter and they dont want to trade any of there top pitching prospects also as i read on other boards they might go after fielder but he will cost them much more then sanchez most of the talk is cain in a package and baumgerter so a sox sanchez for konerko plus maybe a prospect is not a bad trade . also sanchez is a player the giants are trying to move anyway . an for the those who think sanchez is not good well i guess you dont know to much more innings pitched to hits giving up plus more strikeouts per innings isnt good yeah he walks to many but that can be fixed he is 26yrs old . god koufax was terrible with walks when he first pitched but he found it and many others im not saying sanchez is koufax but he has great stuff and at 26 is a promising young lefthanded pitcher . and the giants want to trade him they need hitting and konerko wont cost them nearly as much as say gonzales or fielder

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 12:30 AM)
funny but im retired and i live in a beach house in the philippines so between going boating and fishing theres baseball . anyway yeah i know konerko is another white sox player we need to keep can you tell me why ? i can tell you why not

So basically you live my dream life. Except replace "boating and fishing" with "drinking heavily."

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 05:39 AM)
i dont think they would they need a hitter and they dont want to trade any of there top pitching prospects also as i read on other boards they might go after fielder but he will cost them much more then sanchez most of the talk is cain in a package and baumgerter so a sox sanchez for konerko plus maybe a prospect is not a bad trade . also sanchez is a player the giants are trying to move anyway . an for the those who think sanchez is not good well i guess you dont know to much more innings pitched to hits giving up plus more strikeouts per innings isnt good yeah he walks to many but that can be fixed he is 26yrs old . god koufax was terrible with walks when he first pitched but he found it and many others im not saying sanchez is koufax but he has great stuff and at 26 is a promising young lefthanded pitcher . and the giants want to trade him they need hitting and konerko wont cost them nearly as much as say gonzales or fielder

What.The.Hell?

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 05:39 AM)

I love these comparisons. Sandy Koufax struggled early so many will take the same career path. Its just like Robin Ventura was a good defensive player so Josh Fields will turn into one. There are far more players who struggle early and still struggle than turn into Sandy Koufax. Sanchez would get killed in the AL. He doesn't get a free strikeout every 2 or 3 innings. If walks are easy to fix, with the exception of Thornton, who have the White Sox cured of their control problems? If the Sox are all about dumping money, your trade makes some sense. If they are trying to win, it makes zero sense.

i wouldn't mind getting Sanchez. If nothing else you have another good lefty in the pen.He's ypung,lefthanded ,and a KO pitcher. I doubt he comes cheaply but he is definitely attainable. I think Konerko probably has more value to the Sox than SF but they desperately need a RH bat.