KW helps get another Toronto GM fired

knightni

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
I'm saying that Ricciardi ended up with egg on his face because he got so much bad press for having to give away Rios because of the contract.

Frankly though...he's the one who signed him to that contract. Ditto Wells. You pay GM's to be smarter than the other GM's in the league. If they can't do that, you try other ones.

I don't like the Padres dumping Towers, but Riccardi's teams are losing because of how he's spent his money.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
Frankly though...he's the one who signed him to that contract. Ditto Wells. You pay GM's to be smarter than the other GM's in the league. If they can't do that, you try other ones.

I don't like the Padres dumping Towers, but Riccardi's teams are losing because of how he's spent his money.

I think his stalemate with pretty much everyone in regards to Halladay helped his termination as well.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
I think his stalemate with pretty much everyone in regards to Halladay helped his termination as well.

There's a lot to it, but I don't think anyone can seriously come out and say that he was fired without cause or that he'd done a great job.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 05:44 PM)
I'm saying that Ricciardi ended up with egg on his face because he got so much bad press for having to give away Rios because of the contract.

Maybe. But he WAS able to dump Rios, and he may end up looking like a genius in another year or two.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 3, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)

I agree that this was a major factor. His stubbornness in the Halladay negotiations was downright illogical. The other big blows were B.J. Ryan and the horrible contract he gave to Wells.

Blue Jays ownership loosened the strings a little bit and let him spend, and he didn't do anything to help the team win. That, and a combination of the Ryan, Rios, and Wells contracts, as well as not dealing Halladay when he had some great offers on the table as well as not getting a damn thing for Rios really killed his chances of coming back and GMing next season.

I think getting rid of the Rios contract would be the #1 argument Ricciardi had in favor of being retained, so I don't get the thread title. The Halladay fiasco and not trading him at peak value this summer was probably the last straw for J.P., and the Ryan and Wells contracts didn't help him at all either obviously.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:20 PM)
I think getting rid of the Rios contract would be the #1 argument Ricciardi had in favor of being retained, so I don't get the thread title. The Halladay fiasco and not trading him at peak value this summer was probably the last straw for J.P., and the Ryan and Wells contracts didn't help him at all either obviously.

Ricc is the one who signed him to that contract in the first place.

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 12:58 PM)
Don't forget Kevin Towers of San Diego was fired too...wonder if dealing Jake Peavy had anything to do with that?

The Padres are in full salary-dump/rebuild mode right now, so I doubt that dumping Peavy's contract hurt him that much.