RP Matt Thornton

RP Daniel Hudson

RP Tony Pena

RP Scott Linebrink

RP Carlos Torres

RP DJ Carrasco

Bench: Scott Podsednik, Mark Kotsay, Tyler Flowers, Jayson Nix

Edited by GO CHI SOX!

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 01:44 AM)
LF Carl Crawford

3B Gordon Beckham

DH Prince Fielder

RF Carlos Quentin

1B Paul Konerko

C AJ Pierzynski

SS Alexei Ramirez

CF Alex Rios

2B Chris Getz

SP Mark Buehrle

SP Jake Peavy

SP John Danks

SP Gavin Floyd

SP Freddy Garcia

CL Bobby Jenks

RP Matt Thornton

RP Daniel Hudson

RP Tony Pena

RP Scott Linebrink

RP Carlos Torres

RP DJ Carrasco

Bench: Scott Podsednik, Mark Kotsay, Tyler Flowers, Jayson Nix

i love this lineup and it easily clinches the AL Central but how do we get Crawford/Fielder without trading Hudson/Danks/Floyd/Beckham???

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 01:55 AM)
That's what this thread is for. Those who like coming up with fantasy trade idea's that would never happen can post them here and not elsewhere.

Not all a part of the same lineup, obviously, but perhaps a lineup including one or two of these guys:

uptonsox.jpg

BJ Upton

crawfordsox2.jpg

Carl Crawford

figginssox.jpg

Chone Figgins

32e097d9a4200271.jpg

Bobby Abreu

4e7a77d9a421d1230d.jpg

Prince Fielder

Pardon the crappy Photoshop skills and the same Jermaine Dye template used for each one.

Edited by coco1997

Lets get OBP freaky please or maybe potential guys. Nick Johnson, (.400+ career obp) Bobby Abreu (.380+ career obp) Adam Dunn (.375+ career obp) or potential guys like Jeremy Hermida, Brandon Wood, or maybe even a J.J. Hardy. The potential guys are obvious where they should play. Don't really care where the OBP guys play, who we have to trade, etc.. I just want them to live up to their billing. :D

Trade for Cody Ross and Taylor Tankersley.

Sign Bobby Abreu

CF Rios

3b Beckham

DH Abreu

1b Konerko

RF Q

LF Ross

C AJ

SS Ramirez

2b Nix

Bench:

Getz

Kotsay

Pods

Flowrs

Peavy

Buehrle

Floyd

Danks

Garcia

LR: Linebrink

LR: Hudson

MR: Tankersley

MR: Nunez

SU: Thornton

SU: Carrasco

CL: Pena

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 10:08 PM)
SU: Thornton

CL: Pena

Wha?!?!?!?!

Anyway, my real thing...

Holes (Field): LF

Holes (Lineup): Leadoff, LH Power Bat

LF Possibilities: Holliday, Crawford, Pods, Figgins, Bay

Leadoff Possibilities: Pods (FA), Figgins(FA), Crawford (Trade of 1 or 2 Top Prospects), Getz

LH Power Bat Possibilities: Fielder (Gut the Farm Trade), Gonzalez (GTFT), Nick Johnson (FA)

Combinations:

LF: Holliday/Bay

DH: Pods

LF: Pods

DH/1B Platoon: Gonzalez/Fielder

LF: Crawford

DH/1B Platoon: Nick Johnson

LF: Figgins

DH/1B Platoon: Nick Johnson

My favorites are either Holliday/Pods or Gonzalez/Pods

Nick Johnson and Bobby Abreu. Both lefty high OBP guys. Abreu has the added benefit of still having some speed even as his age. But his defense apparently sucks, and we'd likely have Nick Johnson filling the DH slot. So, it's not perfect. But it wouldn't cost us anything in trade.

My lineup would be:

Beckham 3b -- yes, lead off, b/c I can't see any of our bottom 3 getting on reliably enough

Abreu RF -- Could put Johnson here too, but I like Abreu's speed

Quentin LF -- needs a bounce-back year offensively and defensively

Johnson DH -- not a classic clean up guy, but you have to put him high enough to take advantage of his OBP

Konerko 1B -- if Quentin doesn't hit like 2008, move Johnson to 3rd and Konerko to clean up

AJ C -- despite his high average, why doesn't AJ drive any runs in? Pods knocked in almost as many.

Ramirez SS -- I'd love to see him hit lead off some day, but he's too inconsistent

Rios CF -- hopefully he'll find his bat before next year. I put him here in the speed group.

Getz/Nix 2B -- Getz isn't ready to lead off yet, but if he hit as well as Pods, that's where I'd put him

Of course, if Kenny wants to spend more money, then I'd go after Matt Holliday, but that's not realistic. Nor is Carl Crawford, or Prince Fielder, or Adrian Gonzalez, or Adam Dunn.

I'd happily take Dunn over Johnson at DH, but I live outside DC and the word is the Nats aren't trading Dunn. He's one of the few guys they have who will draw fans to the ball park. Okay, maybe I would make a run at Dunn anyway, because he's a perfect fit at DH for the Sox. He's the power lefty we could really use. He's not that expensive. And if you got him, you could afford to go for a better defensive right fielder than Abreu.

QUOTE (VAfan @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 10:38 PM)
Nick Johnson and Bobby Abreu. Both lefty high OBP guys. Abreu has the added benefit of still having some speed even as his age. But his defense apparently sucks, and we'd likely have Nick Johnson filling the DH slot. So, it's not perfect. But it wouldn't cost us anything in trade.

My lineup would be:

Beckham 3b -- yes, lead off, b/c I can't see any of our bottom 3 getting on reliably enough

Abreu RF -- Could put Johnson here too, but I like Abreu's speed

Quentin LF -- needs a bounce-back year offensively and defensively

Johnson DH -- not a classic clean up guy, but you have to put him high enough to take advantage of his OBP

Konerko 1B -- if Quentin doesn't hit like 2008, move Johnson to 3rd and Konerko to clean up

AJ C -- despite his high average, why doesn't AJ drive any runs in? Pods knocked in almost as many.

Ramirez SS -- I'd love to see him hit lead off some day, but he's too inconsistent

Rios CF -- hopefully he'll find his bat before next year. I put him here in the speed group.

Getz/Nix 2B -- Getz isn't ready to lead off yet, but if he hit as well as Pods, that's where I'd put him

Of course, if Kenny wants to spend more money, then I'd go after Matt Holliday, but that's not realistic. Nor is Carl Crawford, or Prince Fielder, or Adrian Gonzalez, or Adam Dunn.

I'd happily take Dunn over Johnson at DH, but I live outside DC and the word is the Nats aren't trading Dunn. He's one of the few guys they have who will draw fans to the ball park. Okay, maybe I would make a run at Dunn anyway, because he's a perfect fit at DH for the Sox. He's the power lefty we could really use. He's not that expensive. And if you got him, you could afford to go for a better defensive right fielder than Abreu.

Each one of those players individually are more realistic than the Sox adding another $15-20M to the current projected 2010 payroll through free agency. This current team as it stands, minus Dotel, Betemit, Pods, Kotsay, and whoever else is a free agent, is already committed to over $70M in 2010 without counting Jenks, Danks, Quentin, Carrasco, or Pena, all of whom will get big raises in arbitration. Filling out a 25-man roster even with the same arbitration players plus minor leaguers making the minimum will put us somewhere around $90M already, possibly more. Kenny already went on his shopping spree and he'll need to clear payroll if he wants to make big FA signings. That is unless Reinsdorf somehow okays a $100M+ payroll coming off a season where the FO claimed to be hampered by poor attendance.

it seems many are wanting a team like the twins have alot of speed bunting type players and obp types which is ok. but i think we need to remember we play 81 games in the cell building a speed team that steals 150 or more bases is great but we play in a power hitting ballpark we tried some of that speed ball if you will this year we lost 10 more games then last year we hit 185hr last yr 235 . our record when we had 10 hits or more in a game was like 43 and 13 i think . so i believe our lineup with getz rios beckham nix rameriz and if we keep pods or not and add figgins is more then enough speed types we still need a big lefthanded power guy like adrain gonzales or adam lind adam dunn . i guess what im saying is carl crawford is not what we need unless he is replacing one of our other speed type guys and to get him is to trade for him if were going to trade for anybody it should be for ADRIAN GONZALES do what the tigers did for cabrera then sign him to a 8yr 160 million dollar extention deal . if we add him and say abreu and figgins resign kotsay now we have a speed power obp type lineup that would be a true force .

i know everyone here wants to keep our rotation the way it is but to fill our bullpen problems and to bring in a real good bat like a gonzales or whoever i mean guys who may play more then another 2 yrs we will need to move one of our starters . i would prefer to trade buehrle say to st louis and take the prospects in that trade plus add some from our system to get adrian gonzales . but most here believe trading buehrle would be a crime i guess because he has been with the team so long but i think we could get good trade value for him now and use it to get gonzales . but if we dont do that then package floyd with prospects to san diego and get him .

Just wondering, but are the ending of your sentences determined via coin flip or something? I think I'll try that sometime. I'll start typing with my right hand and flip a quarter continuously with my left thumb, catching it in my palm until the quarter comes up heads. When it does, I'll go space-period-space and then continue where I left off.

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 09:38 AM)
i know everyone here wants to keep our rotation the way it is but to fill our bullpen problems and to bring in a real good bat like a gonzales or whoever i mean guys who may play more then another 2 yrs we will need to move one of our starters . i would prefer to trade buehrle say to st louis and take the prospects in that trade plus add some from our system to get adrian gonzales . but most here believe trading buehrle would be a crime i guess because he has been with the team so long but i think we could get good trade value for him now and use it to get gonzales . but if we dont do that then package floyd with prospects to san diego and get him .

It's a bad idea to move one of the starters unless you have someone to fill that spot from within. I'm not too confident trying to replace the 4th starter who will not come close to a Floyd or Buehrle. Look at what happened with the 4th and 5th spots this year. Contreras on the mound was similar to a forfeit. The 5th starter was missing on a rehab assignment. Yeah Freddy looked good but at what point with veterans doe age become a serious factor.

Trading Buehrle for "prospects" is a crime only worthy of capital punishment. There's no guarantee in prospects. 2009 should be irrefutable evidence since Kenny was banking on his prospects in Spring training.

Before Freddy showed up there was about 13 wins and who knows how losses in the 5th starter spot alone. You never, never give up good pitching unless you can't resign a guy or someone is on their way up from the farm who has exposure. When you have to get it elsewhere, it become expensive and even bad pitching is expensive.

This is the MLB and if you need some good hitters then the organization needs to pay for them. Quit trying to trade and make a new hole. The Thome trade created a whole in CF that lasted almost 3 seasons and most fans aren't happy with Rios and his contract.

Keep the 4 starters and hopefully Freddy/Hudson can keep the 5th spot around .500. Hopefully the D will not be in the bottom in giving up runs. Hopefully bad base running will be fixed. The team speed has improved so that means putting pressure on opposing pitchers.

By all means they should spend some money this off season. That is part of how to win in MLB until the owners have enough common sense to go to a salary cap.

Don't trade. BUY!

I don't even think we need a bunch of trades or big moves.

I'd like to see the Sox try to acquire an LH hitting OF/DH, and have Flowers be at DH, and also back up C. Abreu would be perfect, but others may work too. Abreu can be DH the majority of the time, OF at times. I am willing to take a shot at Pods again in LF as a starter - just want him to take it back a notch on stealing attempts and be more selective at that. if Pods gets hurt, Abreu moves full time to the OF, and Flowers can DH. If all you do is pick up Abreu, just with that one move, you can have an offense that looks like this:

Pods, LF

Beckham, 3B

Abreu, DH

Konerko, 1B

Quentin, RF

Pierzynski, C

Rios, CF

Ramirez, SS

Getz, 2B

Bench of...

Flowers (C, DH)

Nix (IF)

Kotsay (OF, 1B)

??? preferably LH (IF)

I honestly think that's a pretty darn good lineup.

The only slots in that lineup that concern me are Pods' health (and I noted above the backup plan), and Getz' bat. So I'd be open to a pickup for 2B as well, if the opportunity presents itself. Getz would then be the bench LF IF and PR/PH type guy.

So, for those in the know... who are the available FA's this offseason for OF/DH (with power) and 2B, both preferably LH?

Realistically, I'd like us to

Sign Bobby Abreu

Trade Jenks for Brandon Wood

Trade for Cody Ross and Taylor Tankersley

Unrealistically I'd like to see

Trade Jordan and John Danks and John Shelby for Prince Fielder

Trade Konerko, Fields, McCulloch for Homer Bailey, Chris Heisey, and Alex Smit

Edited by Thunderbolt