AND THIS BASEBALL SEASON IS OVA!!!

southsider2k5

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
It's definitely the worst day of the year I feel. End of baseball.

At least under KW and Oz we've had meaningful baseball for the majority of most of the seasons.

Good point- it's always a sad day indeed. Only good news coming out of this season is it appears we have 5 solid starters going into next year. With Thome and Dye most likely gone we're going to need to put some more power into this lineup I believe, although it will be nice to get the slow guys outta there from clogging up the bases.

LF Pods

SS Beckham

RF Quentin

1B Konerko

DH ???

C AJ

CF Rios

2B Ramirez

3B Viciedo

Pods won't be back if he gets a ridiculous offer for 2-3 yrs. But my guess is he WILL get a 2 yr offer, which may lead us to looking at other options.

I KNOW Beckham is going to play 3B next year, but to me its a joke as we could have so much offensive production from SS & 2B from him and A Ram, we'd have 180 RBIs and 35 HR's from the middle infield. That's pretty damn good. But no one thinks about that. Booooooo

Edited by JohnCangelosi

Lots to look forward to next season. This offseason will be particularly interesting.

Hopefully we can add another stud next year when we draft hopefully at 13th. We have a protected first round pick, so we can get a type A free agent without giving up the best draft pick.

Now lets get the offseason over as quickly as possible so we can get back to the business of building a champion here.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)
Good point- it's always a sad day indeed. Only good news coming out of this season is it appears we have 5 solid starters going into next year. With Thome and Dye most likely gone we're going to need to put some more power into this lineup I believe, although it will be nice to get the slow guys outta there from clogging up the bases.

LF Pods

SS Beckham

RF Quentin

1B Konerko

DH ???

C AJ

CF Rios

2B Ramirez

3B Viciedo

Pods won't be back if he gets a ridiculous offer for 2-3 yrs. But my guess is he WILL get a 2 yr offer, which may lead us to looking at other options.

I KNOW Beckham is going to play 3B next year, but to me its a joke as we could have so much offensive production from SS & 2B from him and A Ram, we'd have 180 RBIs and 35 HR's from the middle infield. That's pretty damn good. But no one thinks about that. Booooooo

You can take it to the bank that Ramirez is SS and Getz is 2B. Pods will be in LF if they cannot sign Figgins. DH will come from within. Money/Trades will be spent on the bullpen.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 02:47 PM)
:crying

Even after a bad season I hate the last day of the baseball season. It means the arctic winter starts... six months of no White Sox.

Next summer, my home will be a few blocks away from the Sox Spring Training Facility. Of course the down side is not getting to see many Sox season games on TV. Has anyone tried that MLB web streaming package? That's what I might have to opt for.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
Next summer, my home will be a few blocks away from the Sox Spring Training Facility. Of course the down side is not getting to see many Sox season games on TV. Has anyone tried that MLB web streaming package? That's what I might have to opt for.

I use it and love it. Nothing beats watching on TV though. The beauty of mlb.tv is you can watch/listen to the game anywhere you have internet access: hotel, grandma's, work, etc. I might splurge and get the tv package next year.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 03:11 PM)

LF Pods

SS Beckham

RF Quentin

1B Konerko

DH ???

C AJ

CF Rios

2B Ramirez

3B Viciedo

How has Viciedo been doing in the minors? I heard at one time they don't think he can play 3rd but 1st. I can't see how ALexi going back to 2nd and now Beckham at SS would improve anything.

Disappointing, no doubt. Yet we still witnessed some positives this season. The continued growth of gavin and danks; a perfect game by burls; clayton richard emerging into a stud, enough to be traded for peavy; the trade for peavy; CQ here at the end seemed to find his stroke; and this new guy beckman, or beckham...seems like he might be okay.

See you guys at the winter meetings! Thanks for sharing another season

:cheers

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 02:54 PM)
How has Viciedo been doing in the minors? I heard at one time they don't think he can play 3rd but 1st. I can't see how ALexi going back to 2nd and now Beckham at SS would improve anything.

Viciedo didn't light it up for most of the season. He was showing gradual signs of improvement but wore down towards the end of the year. There's no chance he's ready for 2010. He might be a 2011 option if he shows serious improvement. He's on our Arizona Fall League list, that's his first point. Defensively he had a lot of errors but there's been some talk that he's nimble enough to handle 3rd if he can get all the moves down; he could well grow in to at least an average 3b. I'm much more worried about his bat. His bat comes around and we'll find a place for him.

I think the off season will disappoint many fans. I don't see the Sox making any major trades since they don't have much to trade without it hurting them in other areas.

I doubt Jenks will be traded. Closers are hard to come by and they do cost money.

Trade M.B.? Nope. Why weaken one of the most solid staffs in baseball? Get rid of him and create ?s at the 4th, 5th spot. Just a repeat of 2009.

Could Dye be back? That may depend how low of a deal he will take. I wonder if Kenny would say no to 1 yr. @ $5M? He might be an affordable D.H. They over spent on the last one. Maybe Kotsay will be the D.H.

I would not be surprised if they don't sign Pods. He's never had two good back to back seasons. Amazing comeback.

I doubt P.K. will be traded.

I see a lot of fans consider trading players to free up some money. Well they went in budget mode last off season and where did it get them? Contreras and Colon were to replace Javy. Fields was to replace Crede/Uribe. The Yankees were laughing their ass off over the oh god please take Swisher deal. There was a reason why they were predicted to be 4th is because if they continued with that same group this team would really suck. Funny how the Twins have some of last year's Sox players and they might be in the post season.

You have to spend some money if you want to be competitive. I don't ever see the Sox on the winning end of a bidding war. They'll sign a type B free agent in hopes they have a career year.

At least there is a little more speed on the bases now. That will come handy when the team stops manufacturing homers. I hope they keep Pods because he's a good hitter. Quentin has yet to play a full season.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 03:02 PM)
I think the off season will disappoint many fans. I don't see the Sox making any major trades since they don't have much to trade without it hurting them in other areas.

This is Kenny Williams's team. Which season has not involved a significant makeover of the roster? He'll surprise us. That's the only thing I'm confident about.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 05:04 PM)
Which season has not involved a significant makeover of the roster? He'll surprise us. That's the only thing I'm confident about.

Weren't you surprised this year with that April lineup?

I don't see a significant makeover since he started doing that around the waiver deadline.

The starting rotation and infield is probably set.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Defensively he had a lot of errors but there's been some talk that he's nimble enough to handle 3rd if he can get all the moves down; he could well grow in to at least an average 3b. I'm much more worried about his bat. His bat comes around and we'll find a place for him.

Oh the Josh Field experiment. This is what bothers me about the Sox farm system. They try to grow a person into a position where a player should know how to catch a ball before they even enter the lowest level of professional baseball. The only thing it accomplishes is creating DH/below average Lamar Johnson type 1st basemen.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 4, 2009 -> 05:18 PM)
Thank god. Minus Beckham, Hudson, Buehrle etc.. we were not a joy to watch.

Hey you left out Linebrink :lolhitting

I think adding a personality like Peavy will make the team much better. I'm glad we got to see him pitch.