Miguel Cabrera got drunk with Sox players Friday night?

scenario

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 08:24 AM)
Unless he wins the big one, the rest of his career.

And deserving so. I think it would be more fair to focus on his 0 fer the weekend than the off field stuff. I'd be very surprised if he is in a Tiger uni next season. And they will have to trade him for a deep discount.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Host from a Detroit station was on Mully and Handley this morning. They kept prodding him until he gave the names he heard for the Sox players that were out. Sources said Freddy and Pena, Freddy certainly could have been guessed and Pena may be out every night the way he pitches.

Edited by maki

QUOTE (maki @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 10:00 AM)
Host from a Detroit station was on Mully and Handley this morning. They kept prodding him until he gave the names he heard for the Sox players that were out. Sources said Freddy and Pena, Freddy certainly could have been guessed and Pena may be out every night the way he pitches.

T-Pain pays his dividends!

Interesting how the game and society has changed. There were all sorts of stories of Babe Ruth running out between innings to grab a beer, showing up right from the bar he was in the night before, etc.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)
Interesting how the game and society has changed. There were all sorts of stories of Babe Ruth running out between innings to grab a beer, showing up right from the bar he was in the night before, etc.

Like you, he also had to walk 5 miles uphill in snow to get to the stadium.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 10:08 AM)
How so? What did we gain from that?

T-Pain is the ultimate distraction. We should send him to a party before every big series.

"Hello, Mr. Sizemore? I got two bottles of jack with your name on it!"

"Yo, Texiera! What's up? Tony Pena here and i'm bringing the booze!"

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
T-Pain is the ultimate distraction. We should send him to a party before every big series.

"Hello, Mr. Sizemore? I got two bottles of jack with your name on it!"

"Yo, Texiera! What's up? Tony Pena here and i'm bringing the booze!"

It is just crazy enough to work.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)

while they made a great living and a lot of money back in the day it is nowhere near the exorbitant rate they are paid today to play a game for a living. the game is a business at this point, for better or worse. relying on men in their 20s is also a difficult thing to do. teams should honestly hire babysitters for problem players. let them do what they want, just make sure they use discretion, which none of them seem to understand.

QUOTE (maki @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)

Yep, I heard that. I heard the day before on B&B, that was the reason for getting rid of McCarthy and Anderson. I wouldn't miss Pena but I wonder if the organization will give him a pass for his so called talent we have yet to see.

QUOTE (maki @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 09:51 AM)
while they made a great living and a lot of money back in the day it is nowhere near the exorbitant rate they are paid today to play a game for a living. the game is a business at this point, for better or worse. relying on men in their 20s is also a difficult thing to do. teams should honestly hire babysitters for problem players. let them do what they want, just make sure they use discretion, which none of them seem to understand.

I don't think they had guaranteed contracts. I wonder if that were gone how much baseball would change.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 11:13 AM)
I don't think they had guaranteed contracts. I wonder if that were gone how much baseball would change.
I dunno. Players in other sports don't have guaranteed contracts and still do wacky things.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 10:30 AM)
If contracts werent gauranteed, then we would see things like in football, crazy upfront signing bonuses, insane incentive clauses, etc.

The agents would figure out little ways to get their guys paid

That still has to work under a salary cap. The NFL is the biggest game in the U.S. Having a more level playing field gives smaller markets a better chance of winning.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 02:38 PM)
That still has to work under a salary cap. The NFL is the biggest game in the U.S. Having a more level playing field gives smaller markets a better chance of winning.

If youre arguing that the NFL is more fair than the MLB than why are the WS teams more diverse than SB teams (in terms of different teams winning). There are probably a ton of factors providing to this outcome but fact is, if you run a good organization you have a great chance to win, no matter what the sport. Having more money can make it easier but is definitely not always the case.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 02:42 PM)
If youre arguing that the NFL is more fair than the MLB than why are the WS teams more diverse than SB teams (in terms of different teams winning). There are probably a ton of factors providing to this outcome but fact is, if you run a good organization you have a great chance to win, no matter what the sport. Having more money can make it easier but is definitely not always the case.

In the NFL you can retain much of your talent if you are a small market team. Yes, the NFL is fair. Small market MLB teams are farm systems for the Yankees and Red Sox.