Elias Rankings

prochisox

The season has come to an end and rankings are out. Here's a rundown of our Sox rankings.

Jermaine Dye - Type A

Octavio Dotel - Type B

Scott Podsednik - none

Mark Kotsay - none

Ramon Castro - none

Bartolo Colon - none

Jim Thome - none

Jose Contreras - none

Notables:

Matt Holliday - Type A

Jason Bay - Type A

Nick Johnson - Type B

Chone Figgins - Type B

Bobby Abreu - Type A

Johnny Damon - Type A

Fernando Rodney - Type B

Placido Polanco - Type A

Orlando Hudson - Type A

Marco Scutaro - Type A

Vlad Guerrero - Type A

Hideki Matsui - Type B

Rich Harden - Type B

Marlon Byrd - Type B

Randy Winn - Type B

Mike Cameron - Type B

Austin Kearns - none

Freddy Sanchez - Type A

Miguel Tejada - Type A

Coco Crisp - none

Kiko Calero - Type B

Brian Shouse - Type B

Russ Springer - Type B

Adrian Beltre - Type B

Justin Duchscherer - Type B

Jarrod Washburn - none

Kelvim Escobar - none

Erik Bedard - Type B

Rick Ankiel - none

Brett Myers - none

Robb Quinlann - none

Interesting Type B's.

Edited by GO CHI SOX!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)
I really wonder if we could have an O-Cab type deal. Where we offer Dye ARB, and highly suggest that he not take it.

yeah, that will be interesting, I think the Sox would be a little more concerned about that with Dye though after his 2nd half. I don't think they'll offer it to him.

Harden as a type B? Well I don't see how the Cubs can even dream of offering him Arb now.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 11:42 PM)
I really wonder if we could have an O-Cab type deal. Where we offer Dye ARB, and highly suggest that he not take it.

I don't think that worked out too well for O-Cab. That was pretty much the Jedi mind trick to get O-Cab to not take arbitration.

However, if you gave Dye $3 million to decline arbitration, I could see that working out. You are essentially paying $3 million for a draft pick. However, it also means that Dye is most likely to sign with a team in the top 15 which is protected from Type-A compensation.

It may not be consistent with the CBA for a team to offer a player cash to decline arbitration.

If Dye is making $12 million this year, the least he could be OFFERED by the club in arbitration is $9.6 million (the max 20% hair cut). Jermaine Dye will sign on the free agent market for less than $9.6 million. I could see him back to Oakland in a one-year $6 million deal or a two-year $11 million deal. Dye's second half offense and his defense will scare away most clubs.

After the difficulty alot of type A guys had finding jobs last year, the market may actually be LOW on those types of guys...ie I can't think Type 1 guys like Scutaro, Freddy Sanchez, Tejada, and even an aging Polanco will have a high market this offseason because of the picks associated with signing one of those guys. And seeing as how we have a protected 1st rounder and an extra 3rd rounder for Morgado, if you can bring a Type A (not necessarily just those I mentioned above) for cheap (like the dodgers and angels did with Hudson and Abreu), I'd be all for it

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 11:56 PM)
No compensation for Colon????? Thats BS....we should at least get a Big Mac or two if he signs with another club.

We'll save big money on the post game buffet

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
I could really see the Sox trying to bring Big Jim back. I know what Kenny said, but what other left handed run producers out there that fit our budget?

A few reasons why ;)

• Already comfy as a DH
  • Looks good in a Sox uniform
  • Over all good leader in clubhouse
  • Might get his ring
  • At a nice price
  • Really could use to keep some power

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 08:57 AM)
I could really see the Sox trying to bring Big Jim back. I know what Kenny said, but what other left handed run producers out there that fit our budget?

I hope not. He gets hurt playing the DH spot and that isn't gong to change anytime soon. I hope they get away from aging, one dimensional base cloggers. How they address the DH will be the most interesting move in the off season. I wonder if it will be a spot they do a lot of platooning and come from within.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 06:57 AM)

Johnson, Abreu, Matsui, to a lesser extent guys like Damon, perhaps Figgins.

Personally, given the skill our medical staff tends to show...I really like gambling on Johnson.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
That's the 2nd time I've seen someone mention carrying 3 catchers? Why?...makes absolutley no sense to me.

Some people think that if Flowers spends time at DH, we need a 3rd catcher, because if Flowers has to move to C because AJ is hurt or something, you lose the DH. I personally think the risk is incredibly low, and at worst, you have a few AB's in a season where you'd get hit. Not worth the offset of a roster spot if you ask me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Some people think that if Flowers spends time at DH, we need a 3rd catcher, because if Flowers has to move to C because AJ is hurt or something, you lose the DH. I personally think the risk is incredibly low, and at worst, you have a few AB's in a season where you'd get hit. Not worth the offset of a roster spot if you ask me.

The fact is though, our manager is not going to use his only backup catcher as a DH. As far as I can tell he hasn't done it in 6 seasons, and the only time he tried his backup catcher at 1b in the spring it exploded in his face and he caught a lot of criticism.