White Sox Pick up Garcia's and Thornton's Option

ThunderBolt

No suprise. Just confirmation "The White Sox exercised the option for next year on veteran right-handed pitcher Freddy Garcia.

Garcia, 34, will make a $1 million base salary, plus a possible $2 million in incentives.

Garcia went 3-4 with a 4.34 ERA in nine starts with the White Sox this season after being called up from Triple-A Charlotte on Aug. 18.

He had signed a minor league contract with Chicago after being released by the Mets in April. In his final start of the season, Garcia took a shutout into the eighth inning as the White Sox beat the Tigers 5-1.

Garcia began his major league career in 1999 when he went 17-8 with a 4.07 ERA for the Mariners. Since then he has also pitched for the Phillies and Tigers, as well as in an earlier stint with the White Sox. He has a career record of 121-81 with a 4.08 ERA. His best season came in 2001, when he went 18-6 and 3.05.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/base...sox/index.html#

Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:02 AM)
Good.

Now can Freddy have a productive offseason or will he get fat?

That is the question.

Yeah, we need Freddy to get in great shape for all those times he'll be running the bases and everything...

Freddy should spend the offseason smoking weed and drinking beer. As long as his offspeed stuff is still there in 2010 we shouldn't have anything to worry about. I do hope Freddy works on finding that forkball consistency he had for us in '06.

Cmon Kenny.

If he's a big fat slob he won't be effective. He looked good this year. He was not Fat Freddy.

If he gets fat he will have a s***ty April and May. He needs to be in decent shape. Guys can pig out in the offseason.

You are not at all concerned of him becoming Fat Freddy?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:45 AM)
Cmon Kenny.

If he's a big fat slob he won't be effective. He looked good this year. He was not Fat Freddy.

If he gets fat he will have a s***ty April and May. He needs to be in decent shape. Guys can pig out in the offseason.

And why are you worried about him being overweight? He was overweight for us when he was throwing 200+IP per year so it wasn't adversely affecting his stamina deep into ballgames. What, do you think him losing weight is going to add velocity to his fastball or something?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 01:02 AM)
Good.

Now can Freddy have a productive offseason or will he get fat?

That is the question.

:eyeroll:

It's so annoying seeing a promising thread bringing what many people here see as good news only to see you post your typical bulls*** within 2 posts. Your act is getting so old.

As for the move, it is great to see. If he pitches like the way he did this year we'll have the best #5 starter in the league. And even if he makes his $3M with incentives it will still be a bargain considering he'd have to be good enough to even make that amount.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:45 AM)
Cmon Kenny.

Its a million dollars. To you and I that is a lot. In the baseball scheme of things, it is two minor leaguer's salary. It is like buying a lottery ticket for the powerball in terms of how much it cost us. At the end of the day, if he is "Fat Freddy" you cut him, and you don't care.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 07:57 AM)
Its a million dollars. To you and I that is a lot. In the baseball scheme of things, it is two minor leaguer's salary. It is like buying a lottery ticket for the powerball in terms of how much it cost us. At the end of the day, if he is "Fat Freddy" you cut him, and you don't care.

Exactly

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 02:08 PM)
Now let us hope that we do not have to trade one of them to fill in holes elsewhere.

I really don't think we will. I think that's what happens when you have a sit. like boston, with some people being blocked that can make it in. But when you have an overwhelming strength at such an important part, I think you look to upgrade it via other means. I'm not so sure D. Hudson is safe though.

That about sums it up. Welcome back, Freddy!

It amazes me that you have to explain this considering we just went through that THIS YEAR with Colon. *sigh*