Watching the Rockies Hot Corner

rockren

Complete speculation on my part here...but Colorado really intrigues me as potential trade partners for KW this off-season. I believe moving Beckham over to 2B has to be on the minds of WSox brass.

Ian Stewart is unreal with his glove and Atkins trade value may make him an absolute steal at this point. This idea may give us something extra to watch for in the Colorado/Philly series at least.

I was all for playing Beckham at second at one time. No more.

He's developed a very good glove at third.

I'd keep him there. I'd prefer moving Lexi to second and getting a more conventional solid defensive type guy at short.

I'm not one of those sold on Getz/Nix, though I am trusting those who praise Getz as a grinder. Nix is a utility man forever.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 01:44 AM)
I'd keep him there. I'd prefer moving Lexi to second and getting a more conventional solid defensive type guy at short.

I'm not one of those sold on Getz/Nix, though I am trusting those who praise Getz as a grinder. Nix is a utility man forever.

So, dump Getz and Nix for Lillibridge. Got it.

Didn't take long for you guys to shoot this one down...but put me down for one who really likes Stewart at 3rd.

He's a promising 24 year old left handed bat who can ball on the hot corner. I hope he makes some plays in this upcoming series. I just feel Colorado could make sense for KW as having two big league 3B on their MLB roster and having facilitated a recent trade with them. (Contreras)

Edited by rockren

QUOTE (rockren @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:57 AM)
Didn't take long for you guys to shoot this one down...but put me down for one who really likes Stewart at 3rd.

He's a promising 24 year old left handed bat who can ball on the hot corner. I hope he makes some plays in this upcoming series. I just feel Colorado could make sense for KW as having two big league 3B on their MLB roster and having facilitated a recent trade with them. (Contreras)

Exactly. So why do the Rockies want to trade a guy of this caliber? Especially one that's cheap and under team control for a while? They'd trade Atkins long before even considering trading Stewart. Your idea is not bad from our standpoint. It just makes no sense at all for the Rockies.

His struggles this season have all but guaranteed him no future with the Rockies, but at least Garrett Atkins had the present Thursday afternoon.

"All happy," said Atkins, when asked if he had mixed emotions. "Obviously, I don't think I've got too many more games in a Rockies uniform. I'm just trying to enjoy it with these guys. I'm glad to be a part of it today and help the team clinch. Hopefully we'll have a long stretch in October."

Beer and champagne weren't all that cut through the air in the Rockies' clubhouse after their National League playoff-clinching victory over the Milwaukee Brewers. There was no small amount of irony, too. In their final home game of the season, it was Atkins, the run-producer-turned-spare-part, who stepped up and delivered three hits and three RBIs.

This was the same Atkins whose season crashed and burned in May, when he hit .148, the first of three months in which he hit below .200. How long was his summer? Consider this: He averaged 105 RBIs over the previous three seasons, but the three runs he drove in Thursday gave him 48 in 2009.

"It hasn't been fun," Atkins said. "It hasn't been the way you draw up the season coming out of spring training. But going into the playoffs right here makes it a little bit better. I know I wasn't playing well, but the team was, so it's hard to complain about taking a back seat to guys who are playing well. This is all that matters right now."

That could change soon enough. Atkins could well find himself at the plate with a game, if not the Rockies' season, on the line. Particularly if the Rockies' opponent is Philadelphia, given the Phillies' glut of left-handers.

"We need this guy," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "I tried to get that message out there: We've got to have you. So it wasn't a matter of completely unplugging him. I kept trying to find a place to plug him in and keep him involved. We don't know just yet, but if it's Philadelphia, there's a strong chance they'll throw three left-handed starters at us.

"That's when the importance of Garrett Atkins starts to come into play. This guy could be huge for us."

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_13467129?source=rss

Ian Stewart has emerged as a cheaper alternative at third base, and there's no room for Atkins at first because of Todd Helton. Atkins hit .226/.304/.341 this year with nine homers, while Stewart hit 25 homers and posted a .790 OPS.

Atkins made $7.05MM this year and the Rockies couldn't offer him less than $5.6MM in arbitration, so they'll presumably non-tender or trade him.

Just some news on Atkins.

QUOTE (GO CHI SOX! @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 01:07 AM)
His struggles this season have all but guaranteed him no future with the Rockies, but at least Garrett Atkins had the present Thursday afternoon.

"All happy," said Atkins, when asked if he had mixed emotions. "Obviously, I don't think I've got too many more games in a Rockies uniform. I'm just trying to enjoy it with these guys. I'm glad to be a part of it today and help the team clinch. Hopefully we'll have a long stretch in October."

Beer and champagne weren't all that cut through the air in the Rockies' clubhouse after their National League playoff-clinching victory over the Milwaukee Brewers. There was no small amount of irony, too. In their final home game of the season, it was Atkins, the run-producer-turned-spare-part, who stepped up and delivered three hits and three RBIs.

This was the same Atkins whose season crashed and burned in May, when he hit .148, the first of three months in which he hit below .200. How long was his summer? Consider this: He averaged 105 RBIs over the previous three seasons, but the three runs he drove in Thursday gave him 48 in 2009.

"It hasn't been fun," Atkins said. "It hasn't been the way you draw up the season coming out of spring training. But going into the playoffs right here makes it a little bit better. I know I wasn't playing well, but the team was, so it's hard to complain about taking a back seat to guys who are playing well. This is all that matters right now."

That could change soon enough. Atkins could well find himself at the plate with a game, if not the Rockies' season, on the line. Particularly if the Rockies' opponent is Philadelphia, given the Phillies' glut of left-handers.

"We need this guy," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said. "I tried to get that message out there: We've got to have you. So it wasn't a matter of completely unplugging him. I kept trying to find a place to plug him in and keep him involved. We don't know just yet, but if it's Philadelphia, there's a strong chance they'll throw three left-handed starters at us.

"That's when the importance of Garrett Atkins starts to come into play. This guy could be huge for us."

http://www.denverpost.com/rockies/ci_13467129?source=rss

Ian Stewart has emerged as a cheaper alternative at third base, and there's no room for Atkins at first because of Todd Helton. Atkins hit .226/.304/.341 this year with nine homers, while Stewart hit 25 homers and posted a .790 OPS.

Atkins made $7.05MM this year and the Rockies couldn't offer him less than $5.6MM in arbitration, so they'll presumably non-tender or trade him.

Just some news on Atkins.

This article pretty much says all that needs to be said on this topic.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 01:04 AM)
Exactly. So why do the Rockies want to trade a guy of this caliber? Especially one that's cheap and under team control for a while? They'd trade Atkins long before even considering trading Stewart. Your idea is not bad from our standpoint. It just makes no sense at all for the Rockies.

I certainly agree with this...and trading prospects for a guy in Stewart has just graduated from being a prospect just doesn't happen.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:53 AM)
Nope. I hate Lilly.

Acquire a veteran shortstop. Kind of like the one year OC thing, except a guy who isn't a prick.

I would take OC back on the team next year and I hope the White Sox would too... he was on the White Sox when they made the playoffs last year playing very good defense and he was on the Twins team contributing something like a 14 game hit streak while the team was chasing down the 1st place team to force a 1 game playoff.

Hopefully KW and Ozzie realize there is no such thing as a perfect clubhouse.

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 06:40 PM)
I would take OC back on the team next year and I hope the White Sox would too... he was on the White Sox when they made the playoffs last year playing very good defense and he was on the Twins team contributing something like a 14 game hit streak while the team was chasing down the 1st place team to force a 1 game playoff.

Hopefully KW and Ozzie realize there is no such thing as a perfect clubhouse.

We offered OC arbitration and told him if he accepted that he would sit the bench. I don't think he even considers us an option. Plus I don't think he likes Ozzie.

I think Gordon should stay at third. At first, I was iffy. But watching him the past couple of months made me realize that he's a pretty good 3B. His UZR/150 numbers actually prove that. He started out as like a -5. He ended up at -2, meaning that he was a +3 for the latter part of the year.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 12:08 PM)
I think Gordon should stay at third. At first, I was iffy. But watching him the past couple of months made me realize that he's a pretty good 3B. His UZR/150 numbers actually prove that. He started out as like a -5. He ended up at -2, meaning that he was a +3 for the latter part of the year.

He improved rapidly there.

I understand the desire to move his bat to 2nd base, but the reality to me is this; Getz/Nix appears to at worst be an adequate and at best could be a very good and very cheap set of players at 2nd base. Gordon's bat would be an upgrade there, but moving him to 2nd and acquiring someone to take the 3rd base spot means that we'd suddenly have no use for Getz, Nix, or Fields for that matter, and we'd be stuck trying to trade those 3 for a RF. No matter how much we might like Getz+Nix, that's just not a package that is going to fill our RF hole. And at the same time, finding someone to give us more production at 3b than we've got from Getz + Nix at 2b is going to cost us some anyway.

I could see KW finding magic ways to pull it off, if certain teams were interested in certain people and were willing to overpay to fill positions of weakness on their squad. But doing it right requires 3 different things to happen (grab a 3b, find someone who will take Getz + Nix for legit value, find a RF/DH). Doing the last of those alone is just a lot easier.

QUOTE (rockren @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 05:42 AM)
Complete speculation on my part here...but Colorado really intrigues me as potential trade partners for KW this off-season. I believe moving Beckham over to 2B has to be on the minds of WSox brass.

Ian Stewart is unreal with his glove and Atkins trade value may make him an absolute steal at this point. This idea may give us something extra to watch for in the Colorado/Philly series at least.

Beckham is our 3Bman. The infield will most likely be Beckham-Ramirez and Getz. I am banking on Konerko to be at 1B.

QUOTE (rockren @ Oct 5, 2009 -> 10:42 PM)

Sox brass likes Chris Getz and the different set of skills he brings to the club at 2B and they also like Beckham at 3B. So in closing, they will not be messing with either of those positions and I'd be very surprised if they messed with Alexei at SS as he's cheap, very talented, and despite all the b****ing a better than average shortstop (who will get better next year).

The Sox moves will be in the bullpen, outfield, DH, and 1B potentially. And you can bank on that.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 03:48 PM)
Sox brass likes Chris Getz and the different set of skills he brings to the club at 2B and they also like Beckham at 3B. So in closing, they will not be messing with either of those positions and I'd be very surprised if they messed with Alexei at SS as he's cheap, very talented, and despite all the b****ing a better than average shortstop (who will get better next year).

The Sox moves will be in the bullpen, outfield, DH, and 1B potentially. And you can bank on that.

That's the thing about Ramirez, as much as he probably pisses the Sox off with his sometimes questionable approach, they aren't going to get that production or potential for the price they pay him anywhere. He's staying where he's at. I thought at one point the Sox may look to move him, but that contract is too good to move, especially if the budget is going to be tight.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 01:43 AM)
That's the thing about Ramirez, as much as he probably pisses the Sox off with his sometimes questionable approach, they aren't going to get that production or potential for the price they pay him anywhere. He's staying where he's at. I thought at one point the Sox may look to move him, but that contract is too good to move, especially if the budget is going to be tight.

And he is talented. In a perfect world of baseball we could have all-stars at every position and pay Yankee type money for them. I think the best approach is to build from within and keep what you have in place hoping that each year they improve. I think we will see improvement and reading some stories it seems Dayan Viciedo might be groomed as out 1Bman or DH. Question remains when he might be at the big league level?