Better game 163...

southsider2k5

Better game 163...  

100 members have voted

1. 1. So which year was the better one game AL Central playoff?

• 2008 Sox versus Twins, Sox 1-0 victory
    • 2009 Twins versus Tigers, Twins win 6-5 in 12 innings

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for our 1-0 victory for sentimental reasons. Both were amazing games.

A sports writer could write a book on just this one game today. So many baseball situations to discuss.

I'll just bring up one (altough how could Grandy get picked off first on a liner right at the shortstop? Yikes).

I figured advantage Jim Leyland and advantage Detroit big-time when Nathan was out of the game and Rodney was in. I figured Detroit would score off no name Minny relievers. To those relievers' credit, they did the job in the TwinkDome.

I was very surprised it turned out the way it did with Rodney in the game and Nathan gone.

Detroit faces the big-time chokers tag after this one, leading by 3 games with four games left in the season. But what the heck. The Twinks deserve to march on. They could have folded twice late in the game after falling behind a run both times. Amazing.

No way Minny should be forced to play New York tomorrow. It's baseball's fault the season lasts so long. Minny should have a day to fly there. A 5 p.m. game? My god. If Minny wins it would be a minor miracle.

As a Sox fan I prefer last year for obvious reasons. From a baseball standpoint Twins/Tigers was more fun to watch. This is taking into account the numerous bases loaded/runners at corners with less than two out that never materialized, potential last game at the Dome, the extra innings, and remarkable Detroit collapse over the last month among other things.

The 2008 play-in was a much better baseball game. Much cleaner, better played.

The 2009 play-in would be the more exciting game from the perspective of a fan who doesn't follow any of the 3 teams involved. There were sooo many twists and turns and improbable comebacks, be in on offense or defense. Just a fantastic game. The 2008 version was tense all throughout, but during every pitch of every inning, both teams were still in it. This year there were several situations where the game looked to be about over, only to have something happen to keep the game alive. The craziest moment for me was Nathan getting out of that jam with runners on the corners, no outs, and Polanco up. What a stud that man is!

I admit it too, I've been rooting like hell for the Twins. I hate them with a passion, but I respect the hell out of that organization (other than ownership which has been a joke for some time). I personally believe that Ron Gardenhire is the best manager in baseball for both his abilities to manage a game and motivate his players, and if he doesn't win the AL Manager of the Year it will be a travesty. Once again he has taken a very average team and brought them together to make a nearly impossible run, capturing another division title. I will continue to root like hell for the Twins in the postseason and I hope they win it all, even though I believe they'll be destroyed by the Yankees.

I'm done hating on the Twins. I always count them out, but as long as Gardy is around I'll try to stop myself from doing that. It's been a great year for the Twins and their fans, and I hope they make the most out of the opportunity while it lasts, because the Sox are going to beat the piss out of those guys next year. And I'm not saying I'm counting out the Twins in 2010, I'm just saying that it has already been foretold that the Sox will whoop their asses next year.

Edited by Kenny Hates Prospects

As a pure baseball fan....the Twins/Tigers by far. In fact that was one of the best games I have seen in my entire life. The Sox/Twins game was great too featuring some fantastic things; the griffey throw out at home, Thome's bomb, Anderson's diving grab to clinch it. But man that Twins/Tigers had like a crazy play during a crazy situation like once every inning or two.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)
As a Sox fan I prefer last year for obvious reasons. From a baseball standpoint Twins/Tigers was more fun to watch. This is taking into account the numerous bases loaded/runners at corners with less than two out that never materialized, potential last game at the Dome, the extra innings, and remarkable Detroit collapse over the last month among other things.

+1

For obvious reasons,the 1-0 game will always stay in my memory but as a baseball fan,the ups and downs of today's game were amazing.

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 10:48 PM)

Very good post. Agreed 100%. The choke job by the Tigers made it even more epic. :)

Edited by SoxAce

the blackout makes our game better. that was the coolest stadium since the penn state white out like 7 years ago(before everyone did it). because the tickets went on sale after the clinch the entire stadium was sox fans and they were all in black. both games were fun to watch though

Edited by joejoedairy

I watched the whole thing. Even though it was a phenomenal game, I still had a sick feeling in my stomach because the White Sox were sitting at home watching and not participating in the post season. Maybe it wouldn’t have been so bad had it not been 2 teams from our own division. But I HATE the fact that the twins and the tigers finished ahead of us. We had better be in the 2010 post season conversation… I hope like hell that Kenny gets it done.

I freaking hate the twins with a passion. Like Laurence Holmes said on the Score last night – YANKEES IN TWO!!!