Better game 163...

southsider2k5

Better game 163...  

100 members have voted

1. 1. So which year was the better one game AL Central playoff?

• 2008 Sox versus Twins, Sox 1-0 victory
    • 2009 Twins versus Tigers, Twins win 6-5 in 12 innings

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 08:14 AM)
What's great about this game 163 is that it wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the White Sox playing their asses off against the Tigers. We battled when we had no reason to battle. The Twinkies owe us a hell of a lot.

I would of loved to see that "battle" up in Minnesota more than once or twice this year.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if you polled non-White Sox fans, a huge majority would say last night's game was better. There was a lot more action on the field.

In the blackout game, you basically had the play at the plate, one home run, and a lot of nail biting wondering if it would hold up.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 09:19 AM)
I think if you polled non-White Sox fans, a huge majority would say last night's game was better. There was a lot more action on the field.

I think a lot of that can be attributed be the freshness of the game. Remember, last year immediately following the Super Bowl how it was suddenly, unquestionably the “Best GAME EVER PLAYED!!!” I think it’s just a reaction to the adrenaline rush that a great game can bring. I’m biased as hell, but I like to think that if I was impartial, I’d still take the Thome Bomb, the BA catch, and the feverish week of baseball the White Sox played just to get to 163.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 12:13 AM)
Baseball is designed to entertain. Trying to be objective as possible, the game tonight was just more entertaining.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 07:49 AM)
"As a baseball fan" its last night's game, no doubt. I think people here are unable to separate the Sox fan from the baseball fan. Obviously, as a Sox fan, I preferred last year.

what they said. But having said that, this really is more a situation of would you prefer a world class Cabernet or Chardonnay.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 08:19 AM)

In the blackout game, you basically had the play at the plate, one home run, and a lot of nail biting wondering if it would hold up.

There's the key to the answer to this poll. Unless you're a Sox or Twins fan, no one was biting their nails in last year's playoff game. Hence last night's game would poll ahead if asked across the nation.

I agree with the consensus that although last night's game was poorly played in many ways, it was hugely entertaining. Extra inning games when the road team takes the lead and the home team comes back to tie and extend are always dramatic and exciting. The stakes last night just increased that exponentially.

I'm just too biased to objectively compare it to our Blackout game, but agree that most casual fans would prefer last night's higher scoring, back and forth contest.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 12:20 AM)
Some are missing the point, it's not about the game the Sox played in. That would be a dumb question with an obvious answer.

Tonight's game was a far better baseball game to watch.

I was trying to get people to leave the Sox fan part out of it. For me, regardless last year was better, because I love pitching and defense.

as a casual baseball fan, last nights game was better. (meaning if i were, but i'm not, i'm awesome)

But, the crowd was so batsh$#% crazy last year, coupled with numerous reports that the 05 white sox had the loudest authentic playoff crowd they've heard, just brings it home to me, that there is a mutual understanding, if you win, sox, we'll show up, and we'll give you the best crowd you could ask for.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 09:45 AM)
There's the key to the answer to this poll. Unless you're a Sox or Twins fan, no one was biting their nails in last year's playoff game. Hence last night's game would poll ahead if asked across the nation.

Why not? 0-0 going into the bottom 7. Two young pitchers battlling it out. Two different styles of play. Jim Thome hitting a bomb, BA catching a sinking liner. It has everything that you could want from a good baseball game.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 02:11 PM)
Why not? 0-0 going into the bottom 7. Two young pitchers battlling it out. Two different styles of play. Jim Thome hitting a bomb, BA catching a sinking liner. It has everything that you could want from a good baseball game.

Yeah, sorry, pitchers duels don't really capture the imagination of fans that don't have an invested interest as much as big comebacks or back-n-forth games like this unless there is a perfect game/no hitter/20 k game going on, or story line.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 09:11 AM)

I agree with you but we're not casual fans. Casual fans probably were channel flipping during that game because it was "boring".

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 09:17 AM)
Yeah, sorry, pitchers duels don't really capture the imagination of fans that don't have an invested interest as much as big comebacks or back-n-forth games like this unless there is a perfect game/no hitter/20 k game going on, or story line.

Story line, like a playoff birth perhaps?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 11:55 AM)
Such homers, last nights game was far superior. Back and forth, great defense, good hitting, good pitching and extras. Its not even close actually.

I dont know why I havent read what a bad manager Leyland is. How can you have Rodney in the game for 4 innings? Can you imagine if Ozzie left Jenks in the game for 4 innings the kind of crap he would get?

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 12:20 PM)
I dont know why I havent read what a bad manager Leyland is. How can you have Rodney in the game for 4 innings? Can you imagine if Ozzie left Jenks in the game for 4 innings the kind of crap he would get?

Not sure if you noticed, but DET was nearly out of pitchers, and this was a truly do or die game. So, if Rodney still has his stuff, then you definitely keep him in there until he shows signs that he is running out of gas.

True. The losing manager of last night's game could be second guessed on a lot of stuff.

Like why not pitch Nathan two innings? Lots of strategy I can't remember right now. It's part of the game. I do think most people realize those 2 managers are pretty darn good.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 6, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
Very good post. Agreed 100%. The choke job by the Tigers made it even more epic. :)

So can we officially label the Tigers as chronic chokes now? Not only were they the best team in the division this year, but they blew both the AL Central AND the WS to a far inferior Cardinals team in 2006.

Despite the talent on their roster, the psychological effect of blowing it this year might keep them out of the playoffs next season. Leyland may very well be on his way out as well.

Edited by WCSox

our 163 was a better played game as there were some big mental gaffes last night that could have cost each team the game

- Raburn turning Cuddyer's blooper into a triple

- Granderson getting caught off 1st in the 9th

- Casilla not being ready at 3rd as soon as Raburn caught the fly ball

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 12:26 PM)
Not sure if you noticed, but DET was nearly out of pitchers, and this was a truly do or die game. So, if Rodney still has his stuff, then you definitely keep him in there until he shows signs that he is running out of gas.

the problem is, in a tie game in extra innings, by the time you might notice he is running out of gas, the Twins will already be on a plane to New York

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 12:50 PM)
the problem is, in a tie game in extra innings, by the time you might notice he is running out of gas, the Twins will already be on a plane to New York

On the other hand, DET's bullpen isn't exactly loaded with solid arms, and if you take our Rodney, you go to some scrub who will probably fail.

My point isn't necessarily that it was the right call - it was that this idea that it was CLEARLY the wrong one is ignoring the full picture of the situation.