Capitalism: A Love Story

Brian

I usually see Moore's movies because the way he presents them are entertaining. I don't believe/agree with everything, but if even 10% of his stuff is accurate, it is scary.

Thinking of seeing his new one this afternoon.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what to think about it. I guess it is depressing.

Crazy what some of the corporations do to make money.

Like taking out insurance policies on sick employees and when they die, collect on it and not give their families a penny.

The whole fiasco last year with Congress voting on the bailout happened so fast and the part where they explain what happened was interesting.

I'd recommend it to anyone who has an opinion on this stuff, whether you agree or don't with Moore.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 03:55 PM)
Not sure what to think about it. I guess it is depressing.

Crazy what some of the corporations do to make money.

Like taking out insurance policies on sick employees and when they die, collect on it and not give their families a penny.

The whole fiasco last year with Congress voting on the bailout happened so fast and the part where they explain what happened was interesting.

I'd recommend it to anyone who has an opinion on this stuff, whether you agree or don't with Moore.

Executives have policies taken out on them all the time. And it's up to the individual to take care of themselves on life insurance. In fact, most of the time, they have private life insurance given to them as a part of their package (aka it goes to their families).

There's nothing wrong with that because it's an investment in the company.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 04:16 PM)
Executives have policies taken out on them all the time. And it's up to the individual to take care of themselves on life insurance. In fact, most of the time, they have private life insurance given to them as a part of their package (aka it goes to their families).

There's nothing wrong with that because it's an investment in the company.

I didn't know companies did that. The families in the movie knew nothing about it until they got a letter in the mail. One case was a company getting 5M after an employee died. Some of that should go to the family.

He also points to the Reagen administration as the beginning of all this. How we ignored middle and lower class and focused on upper class. Claims Wall Street started running the country back then.

QUOTE (Tex @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 05:23 PM)
I've never watched one of his films and probably will not start now.

My opinion would not change even if he donated a s*** load of money

If you like movies, you should at least watch "Roger & Me". No political biasness in it.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
How much of "Sicko" went to help people without insurance?

I think I heard he paid off a couple of those people bills. Not too mention at the end of the movie he anonymously paid off the medical bill of the wife of the guy who owned the number 1 anti-Moore website at the time.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 05:52 PM)
The guy is doing a movie about the evils of capitalism, and trying to get rich off of it. You don't see the irony there?

How is that different then a reporter doing a piece on corporate fraud? Should that reporter donate their salary to those who were defrauded?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 06:22 PM)
Yeah, that is totally the same.

As you can see from the video Balata posted he has admitted in many cases to help the people in his spotlighted films. Ultimately he's a film director shining light on issues he feels need exposure. Not sure why you would think that he should automatically work for free or donate his income. Shedding light on the topics in his films will be more of an impact than 1 man donating to charity anyway, which he is doing as well.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 06:56 PM)
As you can see from the video Balata posted he has admitted in many cases to help the people in his spotlighted films. Ultimately he's a film director shining light on issues he feels need exposure. Not sure why you would think that he should automatically work for free or donate his income. Shedding light on the topics in his films will be more of an impact than 1 man donating to charity anyway, which he is doing as well.

He's also pretty well fabricated and stretched the truth in most of his movies. I think you could call him Glenn Beck if it made you feel better, because they are pretty much cut from the same cloth. They have no problem making things up to suit their truth in the pursuit of the "truth". It doesn't surprise me that he could demonize people for doing something, and then turn around and do the same thing himself. It also doesn't surprise me that people who line up to defend that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 04:46 PM)
I didn't know companies did that. The families in the movie knew nothing about it until they got a letter in the mail. One case was a company getting 5M after an employee died. Some of that should go to the family.

They are typically called 'Key man' policies. The proceeds are used to recruit and/or train the person's replacement, because in the higher executive positions it is sometimes costly. Businesses of all sizes do it. I had one on me several years ago, as I was the backbone of a small operation, and if I suddenl;y died, it would have cost tyhe owner a bundle to have someone do my job until he could find a replacement. nothing wrong with it and no reason whatsoever that any of it go to the family. It was his responsibility to take care of his family, not the companies.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 07:01 PM)
It doesn't surprise me that he could demonize people for doing something, and then turn around and do the same thing himself. It also doesn't surprise me that people who line up to defend that.

He lives in a capitalist society and made a film bashing the principle. Wouldn't that mean he is advocating getting rid of capitalism?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 07:13 PM)
He lives in a capitalist society and made a film bashing the principle. Wouldn't that mean he is advocating getting rid of capitalism?

And yet he got rich by utilizing those same capitalistic principles. Yeah, there isn't any hypocrisy there.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 07:15 PM)
And yet he got rich by utilizing those same capitalistic principles. Yeah, there isn't any hypocrisy there.

Apparently no one in our country is qualified to make a film criticizing capitalism since we are a capitalistic country.

And I guess that also means a meat eater cannot make a documentary about factory farming, someone who doesn't own a car cannot make a film about cars, etc.