Capitalism: A Love Story

Brian

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 7, 2009 -> 04:21 PM)
Yeah, they're just investing a company asset. It costs them money if they lose a senior employee with decades of experience.

Saw the movie yesterday. They were providing examples of companies taking out policies on non-management employees. The one example was a cake decorator at a Walmart store. Executive management is one thing but when you're trying to make money on people like that I think something is wrong with the system. And to make matters worse these are called Dead Pheasant policies.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 07:22 AM)
I don't care of they get financial gain from it, that part is fine with me. The only thing that bothers me is that the subject of the insurance should get to know, and approve, of it. If that doesn't happen, THAT is when it bad.

I'm not ok with it. Why can't I get a policy on my neighbor, hoping that he dies? What gives these corporations a right to do this?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 07:28 AM)
I'm not ok with it. Why can't I get a policy on my neighbor, hoping that he dies? What gives these corporations a right to do this?

Even if its just a cashier, the employer still has a a financial interest in the employee. You don't in your neighbor.

BTW, I think that was a big part of the CDS/other crappy derivatives problem. They started out as insurance but eventually became massive bets by third parties with no real interest.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 08:09 AM)
Even if its just a cashier, the employer still has a a financial interest in the employee. You don't in your neighbor.

Just another example that capitalism is a morally bankrupt concept.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
So if I pay my neighbor's kid $5 to mow my lawn I should be able to take out a million dollar policy on that kid.

I would imagine you would have a pretty hard time not only making the payments, but finding a company that would be willing to underwrite a million dollars worth of risk based on the value of your yard being mowed. What exactly is your household worth?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 09:20 AM)
I would imagine you would have a pretty hard time not only making the payments, but finding a company that would be willing to underwrite a million dollars worth of risk based on the value of your yard being mowed. What exactly is your household worth?

2 years ago he'd have had all of wall street lining up for that policy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)

So explain to me how a cake decorator at a local Walmart would get underwrited. What risk is there to Walmart if she died? Seems like a minimum wage job.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 11:22 AM)
2 years ago he'd have had all of wall street lining up for that policy.

Please. It is one thing to justify millions of dollars for a policy when you are talking about companies with revenues in the millions and billions. It is another when you are talking about a house value difference of 10 or 20 thousand dollars. It is easy to fall in line behind Moore when the entire picture isn't being painted. The problem is that this isn't as simple as the simple agenda is painting it out to be.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
Please. It is one thing to justify millions of dollars for a policy when you are talking about companies with revenues in the millions and billions. It is another when you are talking about a house value difference of 10 or 20 thousand dollars. It is easy to fall in line behind Moore when the entire picture isn't being painted. The problem is that this isn't as simple as the simple agenda is painting it out to be.

Well, you were able to buy insurance against a company collapsing even if you didn't have any financial interest in that company.