**Official Twins vs. Yankees Thread**

Brian

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:37 PM)
That ump even looked like a Yankee fan. If I ever had a small suspicion a play was rigged in sports, this would be it.

Rigged? It was just a terrible, terrible call. And if they were rigging it, they did a lousy job since the Twins had a 9th inning lead before blowing it, and then had the bases loaded 0 outs in extra innings and had to blow that too.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)
Rigged? It was just a terrible, terrible call. And if they were rigging it, they did a lousy job since the Twins had a 9th inning lead before blowing it, and then had the bases loaded 0 outs in extra innings and had to blow that too.

That was right in front of him. Even orlando Cabrera seen it was close to a foot inside from the dugout!

Worst call I have seen in my lifetime as a baseball fan. Worst. Not even close. And I hate the twins!

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:39 PM)

and btw, it just takes 1 guy , not the entire team of umps. Look at the NBA, 1 guy. You just pick and choose your spots , and boy what a spot he chose. Let's take away a leadoff double in xtras.

QUOTE (rangercal @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:41 PM)
That was right in front of him. Even orlando Cabrera seen it was close to a foot inside from the dugout!

Worst call I have seen in my lifetime as a baseball fan. Worst. Not even close. And I hate the twins!

I am assuming Cabrera went in the tunnel and looked at a replay, but you probably could see that was a blown call from the dugout. I won't even argue with you that it was the worst call you have seen in your lifetime as a baseball fan, because it probably was (and if it wasn't, it's top 2 or 3). But that's not why the Twins lost, and I hope people can seperate the bad call from the reasons they lost.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:43 PM)
I am assuming Cabrera went in the tunnel and looked at a replay, but you probably could see that was a blown call from the dugout. I won't even argue with you that it was the worst call you have seen in your lifetime as a baseball fan, because it probably was (and if it wasn't, it's top 2 or 3). But that's not why the Twins lost, and I hope people can seperate the bad call from the reasons they lost.

If that's not a reason, I don't know what is. That is a major reason. Maybe not the # 1 reason, but there is definitely an argument to be made on the outcome based on that call.

i understand differing dimensions and whatnot in stadiums...but im pretty sure when baseball was invented, hits like teixeira's weren't supposed to be HRs....seriously my high school field was bigger down the line than the new yankee stadium

over the last few years ive come to tolerate the yankees and hate the red sox more...but this yankee team is VERY dislikable...i suppose because of all the $$$ spent on their key players...i thought at first i was rooting for them to beat the twins, but tonight angered me......go angels and every NL team

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)
i understand differing dimensions and whatnot in stadiums...but im pretty sure when baseball was invented, hits like teixeira's weren't supposed to be HRs....seriously my high school field was bigger down the line than the new yankee stadium

over the last few years ive come to tolerate the yankees and hate the red sox more...but this yankee team is VERY dislikable...i suppose because of all the $$$ spent on their key players...i thought at first i was rooting for them to beat the twins, but tonight angered me......go angels and every NL team

I can totally understand people hating the Yankees for their payroll, but they aren't breaking any rules. The anger should be at baseball (mainly the players union) for not allowing a salary cap to be implemented and level the playing field.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:54 PM)
That was a pretty cheap HR by Teixeira there.

Of course, that's about the same a left field in Baltimore.

Next to a wall scraper inside Pesky Pole in Boston, that's the cheapest HR in baseball you can hit (the Texiera one I mean). That was just a ringing double that the dimensions caused to masquerade as a walk off home run.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:49 PM)

Baseball stadiums have been wacky with the dimensions from day one.

Ebbets field

419-L, 450-C, 301-R (original), 348-L, 393-C, 297-R (final

Baker Bowl ( Phillies )

Dimensions: 341-L, 408-C, 279-R (original and final)

Polo Grounds

Dimensions: 277-L, 455-C, 258-R (original), 279-L, 475-C, 257-R (final

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:03 PM)
Baseball stadiums have been wacky with the dimensions from day one.

Ebbets field

419-L, 450-C, 301-R (original), 348-L, 393-C, 297-R (final

Baker Bowl ( Phillies )

Dimensions: 341-L, 408-C, 279-R (original and final)

Polo Grounds

Dimensions: 277-L, 455-C, 258-R (original), 279-L, 475-C, 257-R (final

i understand, but i also imagine it was much harder in the 40s to hit a ball with the trajectory of teixeira's that far...take that however you want to ...just looking at the way the ball was hit... IMO that shouldn't be a HR

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:56 PM)
Next to a wall scraper inside Pesky Pole in Boston, that's the cheapest HR in baseball you can hit (the Texiera one I mean). That was just a ringing double that the dimensions caused to masquerade as a walk off home run.

And where the Twins are concerned, complaints about a ballpark seem misplaced. :)

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
And where the Twins are concerned, complaints about a ballpark seem misplaced. :)

That's a good point.

Also, in my pointing out all the reasons why the Twins have nobody to blame but themselves, I forgot the Gomez play in (I think) the 4th inning. What appeared to be an RBI single was hit to RF, but Gomez fell down and was tagged out before the run scored, which kept it scoreless. Another inexcuseable mistake by the Twins, and they had a lot more of those tonight than the umpires did.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Speaking of the call, I'm not saying there's some sort of conspiracy or anything, but how come calls of that magnitude never go against the Yankees? It just seems like there's never any calls that go against them in games like this. Jeffrey Maier, Chuck Knoblach's phantom tag against Boston in 1999, calls like that always go in NYY's favor.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 12:44 AM)
101 was right about the Twins still blowing every chance they had.. but you better believe this will receive media attention tomorrow.

------------------->It wasn't even close

Oh there is no doubt that is one of the worst calls in baseball history by an umpire. The one hope I have is this, combined with some other missed calls (the umps had some issues in game 1 of Boston/Angels as well) might lead to a more comprehensive version of instant replay in 2010. At this point, I don't care how long it takes to get calls right as long as they indeed are right. Give the managers one challenge a game, and if they get it right, they get a second one. Why can't baseball join the 21st century?

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 01:27 AM)
Oh there is no doubt that is one of the worst calls in baseball history by an umpire. The one hope I have is this, combined with some other missed calls (the umps had some issues in game 1 of Boston/Angels as well) might lead to a more comprehensive version of instant replay in 2010. At this point, I don't care how long it takes to get calls right as long as they indeed are right. Give the managers one challenge a game, and if they get it right, they get a second one. Why can't baseball join the 21st century?

I think the biggest problem is where to draw the line on what is reviewable. Also you have the issue (like in football) when an initial call is made and the players stop competing. How would you determine how the play would have resulted?

Edited by Leonard Zelig

The thing that gets me is it's in the playoffs. That means there's more umps on the field. A call like that makes it better off just keeping it the way it is during the season if that's the case. Not saying I want that, and I know Baseball still wants to keep the game as regular (America's pastime) as possible, but it draws a fine line here. It's the only sport that doesn't have it basically, and I still wouldn't like it personally as I grew up and played this fine game as it is, but changes always happens.