Mat Gamel Discussion

Marty34

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mat Gamel, Trade Bait?

By Mark Polishuk [October 7 at 6:38pm CST]

Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is speculating that Mat Gamel might be a candidate to be traded in the offseason based on comments made by Milwaukee general manager Doug Melvin and assistant GM Gord Ash during their end-of-season press conference on Wednesday.

The Brewers' management team said that Casey McGehee has "taken the bull by the horns" for the starting third base job next season in the wake of McGehee's .301/.360/.499 performance in 394 plate appearances as a rookie last season. Gamel, in contrast, posted a .242/.338/.422 line in 148 plate appearances.

Melvin ruled out Gamel moving to the outfield and Ash said that the Brewers will "probably have to be higher risk taking than we have been in the past" in terms of dealing prospects, thus making it appear that Milwaukee will at least listen to offers for their slugging prospect. Gamel is a year removed from an overall .923 OPS between Double-A Huntsville and Triple-A Nashville in 2008 and is an attractive option for a team looking to shed payroll and give the Brewers one of the starters on their winter wish-list. An American League destination might be the ideal spot for Gamel, who made seven errors in 61 chances at third base last season.

No way. Trade a proven, cheap, MLB pitcher who is under team control for an unproven prospect that can't play D and is IMO overrated? No f***ing way. If Floyd goes anywhere we'd better be getting a proven stud who we feel will help us more than Floyd both in 2010 and beyond. That said, unless the Sox have reason to believe Floyd is a major injury waiting to happen they really shouldn't trade him at all. That 2010 starting staff as it looks currently is awesome.

If I trade for Mat Gamel, I'm certainly not sending Floyd UNLESS we traded Alexei first for a top pitching spect/proven pitcher. And if I try to trade for Mat Gamel, I bring up the point that we'd be using him as our DH as to lower his value in any deal.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
A team that has 4 quality starters, why does everyone want to mess with that?

A few reasons...

1. This team has serious holes in a couple places - a corner outfield spot, a power bat, preferably left handed, and a bullpen spot or two.

2. This team likely doesn't have the money to address these issues through FA, as we've seen in numerous speculations. If JR decides to change that, well, color me surprised and delighted.

3. Gavin has a lot of value right now, and could probably fill one or two of those holes with quality MLB talent.

4. Its not like KW hasn't traded away a core pitcher to address a problem before. Especially with a young, unproven starter waiting in the wings.

Not sayin, just sayin.

edit - I don't think Gamel is in the Sox plans though. They have a lesser version of him that they are already trying to unload - no real position, defensive liability, doesn't hit hard enough to be a real DH... sound familiar?

Edited by daggins

If we're going to move anyone i would think it would be AJ or Flowers.

With Miguel Gonzalez showing up on the radar and AJ's stellar performance maybe they think AJ can go the distance with another 3 year deal, while Gonzalez and Phegley develop. The Sox likely don't want to move AJ because he is also one of the few left handed bats we have.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 07:15 AM)
If i'm trading for any "prospect" it's Brandon Wood, and there's no way in hell i'm giving up our future #1 starter for him.

Seriously, people are still talking about Brandon Wood? He's been putting up great numbers in AAA and bad numbers in the big leagues since I had like 50 posts on this board.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
A team that has 4 quality starters, why does everyone want to mess with that?

I have no idea. Teams can deal with bad hitting when they have good pitching. It is much harder to deal with holes in your starting pitching with good hitting. We have seen that on and off for pretty much the entire 21st century with the Sox. When our pitching is good, we win. It is that simple.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)
Seriously, people are still talking about Brandon Wood? He's been putting up great numbers in AAA and bad numbers in the big leagues since I had like 50 posts on this board.

His last name is wood, and that is enough for me because I want to wear an awesome shirt that says "WE GOT WOOD!"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 11:01 AM)

I used to be a huge fan of Dallas McPherson when he was gonna bust out in the bigs, maybe I should start that bandwagon again... I agree on Brandon Wood, I think he has been hyped for like 7 years now and still has yet to do anything in the majors...

Back to McPherson though, he was All-Universe in AAA and now he is begging for a minor league job somewhere. I dont think he will ever be anything in the MLB but my god look at his career AAA stats:

7 Seasons:

G 608 PA 2622 AB 2273 R 436 H 673 2B 138 3B 35 HR 150 RBI 498 SB 78 CS 30 BB 308 SO 708 BA .296 OBP .384 SLG .586 OPS .970 TB 1331

Pure awesomeness, and especially his 2004 season between AA and AAA:

G 135 PA 586 AB 521 R 107 H 165 2B 36 3B 14 HR 40 RBI 126 SB 12 CS 8 BB 57 SO 169 BA .317 OBP .387 SLG .670 OPS 1.057 TB 349

I only bring this guy up again because even at the time of his huge boom onto the baseball scene would I give up a proven top of the rotation young and cheap player for him? No. There's too many variables and issues with prospects, and don't get me wrong I LOVE prospects, but you cant have enough good SP especially at Gavin's age and skill set. Gamel might be good one day but Ill take a proven Gavin who is only going to get better with time.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (DGSOXFan14 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 12:06 PM)
I used to be a huge fan of Dallas McPherson when he was gonna bust out in the bigs, maybe I should start that bandwagon again... I agree on Brandon Wood, I think he has been hyped for like 7 years now and still has yet to do anything in the majors...

Back to McPherson though, he was All-Universe in AAA and now he is begging for a minor league job somewhere. I dont think he will ever be anything in the MLB but my god look at his career AAA stats:

7 Seasons:

G 608 PA 2622 AB 2273 R 436 H 673 2B 138 3B 35 HR 150 RBI 498 SB 78 CS 30 BB 308 SO 708 BA .296 OBP .384 SLG .586 OPS .970 TB 1331

Pure awesomeness, and especially his 2004 season between AA and AAA:

G 135 PA 586 AB 521 R 107 H 165 2B 36 3B 14 HR 40 RBI 126 SB 12 CS 8 BB 57 SO 169 BA .317 OBP .387 SLG .670 OPS 1.057 TB 349

I only bring this guy up again because even at the time of his huge boom onto the baseball scene would I give up a proven top of the rotation young and cheap player for him? No. There's too many variables and issues with prospects, and don't get me wrong I LOVE prospects, but you cant have enough good SP especially at Gavin's age and skill set. Gamel might be good one day but Ill take a proven Gavin who is only going to get better with time.

:gosoxretro:

IIRC MacPherson started having some back issues that derailed his career.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 12:01 PM)

Those numbers are still too hard to ignore. It's clear he's never going to get a decent shot on the Angels, but a guy who could hit 30 Bombs, and play 3B-SS is too much potential to write off just yet. Especilly, as a buy-low type guy at this point.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (EvilJester99 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 02:51 PM)
Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel is speculating.....

Isn't that the whole thread??

The original title indicated Mat Gamel was available, which is why I changed the title to "discussion"