Mat Gamel Discussion

Marty34

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 05:41 PM)
Let's be honest here. We wouldn't consider dealing Gordon Beckham, right? I think the Brewers feel pretty much the same way if not more so about Gamel.

The Brewers probably like Gamel a lot, but I don't think they see him as their Beckham. Beckham is like... well, he's just a much, much better player.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 11:15 AM)
I have no idea. Teams can deal with bad hitting when they have good pitching. It is much harder to deal with holes in your starting pitching with good hitting. We have seen that on and off for pretty much the entire 21st century with the Sox. When our pitching is good, we win. It is that simple.

+1

We just got an awesome rotation. Why do people even think about messing with it?

I mean I could understand it if people started salivating over the far-fetched idea of trading Floyd in a deal for Haren, but subtracting from the starting staff without adding anything better? That kind of defeats the whole purpose. IMO, we need to think in terms of complimenting our strength, and more than anything right now that means we need OF defense.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 07:34 PM)
We just got an awesome rotation. Why do people even think about messing with it?

I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed if you want to see this rotation together in 2010. Floyd or Hudson almost assuredly have to go to fill a key hole or two. The question I guess isn't "would you trade ...", it's "what's an appropriate return for ...." Or "would you rather keep Floyd or Hudson?"

I can appreciate wanting to keep this rotation together. But you also have to appreciate that a balanced team is more likely to win than a one dimensional team. If trading a starter makes the offense and defense better then I think it is necessary, since that was so lacking this season.

I'm very surprised at the props Gamel has been given in this thread. Gamel is so brutally terrible at 3B...the BREWERS couldn't stand him there. That says A LOT when you consider Braun played at 3B for almost an entire year while Ricky Weeks and Prince Fielder has held down 1B and 2B for years while being boarder line horrible defensively. Hell...the Brewers stuck Hall back at 3B and sent Gamel back to AAA. Hall hit a whopping .132 in May and was given 3B back. That's how awful Gamel is over there.

The only way Gamel will ever see the Bigs again in Milwaukee for an extended period of time will be at 1B. It doesn't sound like the Brewers have ANY interest in moving Prince as they control him for the next two years.

I live in the Madison area and I love the Brewers...if I had a 2nd team it would be them. If the WSox wanted to deal for Gamel (which I highly doubt them having interest at this point) they wouldn't have to give up anything near Floyd.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 08:07 PM)
I have a feeling you're going to be disappointed if you want to see this rotation together in 2010. Floyd or Hudson almost assuredly have to go to fill a key hole or two. The question I guess isn't "would you trade ...", it's "what's an appropriate return for ...." Or "would you rather keep Floyd or Hudson?"

Gavin Floyd's salary for 2010 is less than $3M. Do you really think he will be moved?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 07:29 PM)
The Brewers probably like Gamel a lot, but I don't think they see him as their Beckham. Beckham is like... well, he's just a much, much better player.

Why? Because he's on the White Sox? Let's all reel it in here for a moment. Gamel could easily be Beckham with pop from the left side. I could easily see him putting up an OPS over .900 for some time.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:56 AM)
Ok here's a question for you all.

Would you move Dan Hudson and another prospect for Mat Gamel, to have Gamel play either LF/RF going forward?

I would personally drive Hudson to Milwaukee, drink with him for a night on Water Street, and give him $100 to put on black.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 12:34 AM)
+1

I mean I could understand it if people started salivating over the far-fetched idea of trading Floyd in a deal for Haren, but subtracting from the starting staff without adding anything better? That kind of defeats the whole purpose. IMO, we need to think in terms of complimenting our strength, and more than anything right now that means we need OF defense.

I agree. If anything the sox should add to the pitching this offseason--be it the bullpen and or a SP prospect that could possibly pitch in 2010.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 09:09 AM)
I agree. If anything the sox should add to the pitching this offseason--be it the bullpen and or a SP prospect that could possibly pitch in 2010.

Maybe one whose name rhymes with "Ludson"

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 03:13 PM)
Maybe one whose name rhymes with "Ludson"

Besides Hudson, the sox won't have another SP in AAA or AA who could step into the rotation. Carlos Torres prob. isn't the answer with his control issues. If you're beefing up the pitching, after the bullpen, getting another SP prospect would be ideal. Ely and Shirek, the next two SP prospects, don't have all that much of an upside.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
To fuel the fire, Phil Rogers mentioned that the Brewers are telling teams that Price is staying, but the would listen to offers for JJ Hardy and Mat Gamel in exchange for pitching.

The question is...can Kenny do it without dealing Hudson?

The answer is yes....by dealing Floyd.

F that. Floyd is under control cheaply for 3 more years. He has arguably the best stuff on the team and has shown that he can be absolutely dominating. It wouldn't surprise me if he is competing for the cy young award net year. Why would you want to trade him for a prospect?

Beckham seems to have permanently captured 3B in the eyes of the Sox. I wanted Beckham at 2B but I think that ship has sailed. I doubt Viciedo will be moved to RF and CQ is already in LF, so Viciedo will probably go to 1B.

So, if we already have a 3B with an incredibly high ceiling that we'll have to move to 1B, then why would we trade an asset from an area of weakness (the bullpen, where Hudson should be headed for 2010) just to create a logjam?

I have no problems selling high on Hudson, but if we do, I want a major piece that will help us immediately, and depending on what type of player that would be, I'd gladly throw in the keys to the rest of our farm to get him.