• AJ
    • Pods
    • Kong
    • Beckham
    • Buehrle
    • Danks
    • Jenks
    • Thornton
    • And by valuable, you mean sucked the least?
    • Carrasco

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 08:57 PM)
I can't vote for anybody, because I don't think we had a single player that belongs in the same paragraph as "Team MVP" this season. The fact that Pods leads this poll by a wide margin and I can't really argue with it makes me very sad.

Well there is an "And by valuable, you mean sucked the least?" option. :lol:

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 04:10 AM)
His average OBP is worth even less when he gets thrown out so often.

horrible baserunning: So you are trying to justify his horrible baserunning and make it sound good by saying "He takes risks"? Great argument.... did you watch any Sox games this year? you would have noticed how many terrible baserunning mistakes he made.

lousy defense: errors are a stat decided by one guy that is sitting up in some booth watching the game. Errors are a pretty terrible stat to judge a players defense with. Again, since you brought up the "did you watch any Sox games this year?", did you not notice the horrible routes he takes to balls? Pods is a bad defender.

I am in 100 percent agreement with everything you wrote .

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
They went into the season with Dewayne Wise as the leadoff man and a backup plan consisting of a rookie who probably projects out to be a pretty good utility man down the road and a 12 year old boy who thinks he's Ryan Howard. Just because it's hard to find a guy who can bat first, put up a .350+ OBP and not kill you in the other facets of the game (this is about the bare minimum one should expect a contending team's leadoff hitter to provide) doesn't mean that such a move is acceptable ('07 was nearly as bad.)

Kudos to KW for finding a nice replacement 35 games in, sure he's not good at much but he put up a league average OBP for his spot in the lineup so I'm not openly complaining about his 2009 offensive production but I'm also not going to be content with them bringing him back next year since in the end I believe him to be an overall mediocre baseball player. I'm sure it's tough to find a leadoff guy and I'm sure KW is out there trying to find his man but he's not doing a very good job.

What bothers me the most is the hyperbole that people use when talking about Podsednik since apparently they don't know what a truly good leadoff hitter looks like. When he's being talked about as a good option as the leadoff hitter next year because his OBP was very good for a leadoff man - despite being about average for an AL leadoff man in '09 and about 10 points higher than what OCab gave you last year in that role - and at the same time just ignoring the glaring, unacceptable shortcomings in his game or making weakass excuses for them then I'm going to get upset because it offends me as a baseball observer.

If it's not possible to find a guy who can play a little defense, competently run the bases and put up an OBP of .350 or higher then go with Beckham for a year (he should provide this and more) and fill the 2 open lineup spots (LF/DH) with competent major leaguers. If push comes to shove and he's going to be in the lineup anyway stick Getz in the leadoff role, he should give you an OBP around .340.

GREAT post an i totally agree with you i would even take nix over pods if i had to pick between those 2 . As for me i dont want Pods back not even as a 4thOF Kotsay is a much better choice .

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 12:21 PM)
We could definitely do better than Getz as a lead-off man. The issue I've been going on about on the board is that it doesn't make sense to use so much of our limited payroll to make an improvement over Getz. Getz is very capable of being a solid if unspectacular lead-off man.

IMO, the main areas on this team that we need to see improvement in is our OF defense and production from the middle of the order. A healthy CQ will help the offense a ton, but Dye will be gone, Thome is gone, and Konerko isn't exactly a #4 hitter anymore. Rather than spend talent and money on someone to be better than Getz we should look for a big, scary power hitter and an above-average defensive RF.

good point say like Adrian Gonzales ? I for one feel we need to trade for him send the padres flowers ,hudson , viecido and 10 other guys they want out of our farm system . I MEAN IF YOU LOOK AT OUR TEAM were set at SS 3RD CF 1ST WITH Gonzales , even dh or lf with CQ . THEN our starters of peavy danks floyd even buehrle were set for atleast 2 to 3 years we could always sign a catcher next year or resign AJ and with konerkos 12 mil coming off the books we could fill in pieces here and there until we restock our farm in a year or 2 . i believe most prospects are really suspects . ANYWAY KENNY GET ADRIAN :gosox3: :gosox2: :gosox1:

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 12:33 PM)
I'm trying to get this as I know you loved Pods this year and I have as well for what he did. You do realize that this was his damn near career year right? You do realize that he probably will never duplicate the numbers he put up correct? You do realize that his SB % has gone down, not to mention his baseball I.Q. is shot do you?

Hell this is the same for A.J. as well. If we had Joe Mauer waiting in the wings, I want A.J. gone this winter seeing as his trade value will never get any higher. I don't know if I (or the sox org.) want to trust Flowers to man it just yet. A.J. will probably never duplicate the numbers he just put up either. But he's probably our only and best option we got right now. I can't say that about Pods. Pods also said he wants to test the FA market as well wanting to see how much doe he can rack up seeing in his career he might not get this opportunity again. But I do agree that the Pods haters need to lay off especially for what he did this year..

and he will be 34 years old . i dont hate pods but we can atleast try to do better

GREAT post an i totally agree with you i would even take nix over pods if i had to pick between those 2 . As for me i dont want Pods back not even as a 4thOF Kotsay is a much better choice .

What has Nix done to impress you enough to want this? Nix hit some bombs but IMO is a utility guy only. Say what you want about Pods, he had a great season. I wouldn't bet on a similar year next year, but if healthy he MIGHT be able to duplicate it.