Arizona Fall League

scenario

Just looked at the rosters... some pretty good players going to be there this year.

Here's an article that summarizes who's out there. Strassburg, top picks highlight AFL

The Sox are well represented this year...

• Justin Cassell
  • Matt Long
  • Henry Mabee/Sergio Santos
  • Jacob Rasner
  • CJ Retherford
  • Dayan Viciedo
  • Jordan Danks

Other teams that have prospects playing with our guys (Peoria Javelinas) include the Dodgers, Tigers, Brewers, and Seattle.

Javelinas Schedule:

October (all times local unless noted)

13 vs. Surprise, 12:35 PM

14 @ Surprise, 12:35 PM

15 @ Peo Saguaros, 12:35 PM

16 vs. Peo Saguaros, 12:35 PM

17 vs. Scottsdale, 12:35 PM

19 @ Mesa, 12:35 PM

20 vs. Mesa, 12:35 PM

21 @ Phoenix, 12:35 PM

22 vs. Phoenix, 12:35 PM

23 @ Scottsdale, 6:35 PM

24 vs. Peo Saguaros, 12:35 PM

26 vs. Surprise, 6:35 PM

27 @ Scottsdale, 6:35 PM

28 vs. Phoenix, 12:35 PM

29 @ Mesa, 12:35 PM

30 @ Phoenix, 12:35 PM

31 @ Surprise, 12:35 PM

November (all times local unless noted)

2 @ Scottsdale, 12:35 PM

3 @ Scottsdale, 6:35 PM

4 vs. Mesa, 12:35 PM

5 @ Mesa, 12:35 PM

6 vs. Peo Saguaros, 6:35 PM

9 vs. Phoenix, 6:35 PM

10 vs. Peo Saguaros, 6:35 PM

11 @ Peo Saguaros, 12:35 PM

12 @ Surprise, 12:35 PM

13 vs. Surprise, 12:35 PM

14 vs. Mesa, 6:35 PM

16 @ Surprise, 12:35 PM

17 @ Peo Saguaros, 12:35 PM

18 @ Phoenix, TBD

19 vs. Scottsdale, 12:35 PM

Edited by scenario

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
I love those last three on that list. I can't wait to see if we get a star or two out of that grouping.

Yeah I think its interesting, those three position players have a lot of potential. The other four are pitchers, and seem to fall more into the category of "are you worth something?", though you never know, one or two might prove something.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 11:40 AM)
Who from the AFL will KW trade for this year is my question.

Typical Kenny thinking would be to look for a pitcher with heavy sink who was a high draft pick but seems to have fallen out of favor with his current team.

Besides that, I'd figure him to be looking for a potential bullpen pitcher or two.

In a perfect world, we'd find a young fast outfielder who could lead off too. I know that's asking alot, but I figure... when you're creating a wish list, start out by aiming high.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 11:45 AM)
Is there a database to identify sinkerball pitchers who were high draft picks but have fallen out of favor with their current team?

If there is Im sure a copy is on Kenny's computer.

With Kenny supposedly telling the scouting staff to look for OFers after spring training, I would think an OFer would have to be on KW's AFL wish list.

That said, it makes sense to get an OFer who can hit from the left side, as the sox are weak from that side. Here are some names that could be on the list, whose parent clubs have major leaguers who might be blocking them, making them trade bait:

Andrew Lambo and Trayvon Robinson, LAD;

Steve Susdorf, PHI;

Tyler Henley and Daryl Jones, STL;

Bryan Peterson and Greg Burns, FLA;

Ryan Kalish, BOS;

Colin Curtis, NYY;

I don't see Viciedo getting much if any time at 1B with Dustin Ackley on the team.

And the outfield is loaded.

So, it looks like he's going to be primarily at 3B this fall. Hmmm...

It'll be interesting to see how things play out if he impresses in the AFL.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 09:18 AM)
That's sort of interesting - I wonder what the reasoning was.

Trying to decide whether he's worth protecting before the Rule 5 draft I would guess.

He's sort of a special case, since they just converted him to pitcher this year.

Even though his stats are underwhelming, the Sox must see something they like... they moved him through several levels in the system this year.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
I hope Retherford does really well in this league. I wonder if he could catch and be an emergency 3rd catcher if Flowers and Pierzynski are in the same lineup. How's his arm?

He has a good arm. In junior college (and when he started at ASU) he was a pitcher.

But his coach at Arizona State said he thought CJ might end up as a catcher if he made it to MLB.

Bottom line is the kid is a ballplayer... can play pretty much any position... and did in college.

In fact, in one game he both pitched and caught in the same inning. LOL.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
He has a good arm. In junior college (and when he started at ASU) he was a pitcher.

But his coach at Arizona State said he thought CJ might end up as a catcher if he made it to MLB.

Bottom line is the kid is a ballplayer... can play pretty much any position... and did in college.

In fact, in one game he both pitched and caught in the same inning. LOL.

There is a joke in there somewhere....

The Javelinas’ roster lists five pitchers from the Sox’s organization, and Sergio Santos is an interesting study. Santos, 26, was the 27th overall pick in the 2002 draft out of Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, Calif., where he was one of the top infielders in the nation.

The Arizona Diamondbacks shooed him away from USC with a healthy bonus, but Santos didn’t develop into a consistent hitter with the Diamondbacks and Blue Jays. He was one of the first spring cuts of the Sox, who traded him to San Francisco but later reacquired him and converted him to pitch.

Although Santos’ combined statistics at four levels were 0-3 with an 8.16 ERA in 26 relief appearances, Santos stuck out 30 in 28 2/3 innings. A strong AFL could actually help Santos’ chances with the Sox, or another team if he’s not placed on the 40-man roster on Nov. 20.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....rdan-danks.html