Arizona Fall League

scenario

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 10:14 AM)
I hope Retherford does really well in this league. I wonder if he could catch and be an emergency 3rd catcher if Flowers and Pierzynski are in the same lineup. How's his arm?

He can throw a wet tennis ball pretty far.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
He has a good arm. In junior college (and when he started at ASU) he was a pitcher.

But his coach at Arizona State said he thought CJ might end up as a catcher if he made it to MLB.

Bottom line is the kid is a ballplayer... can play pretty much any position... and did in college.

In fact, in one game he both pitched and caught in the same inning. LOL.

He can hit like a mofo.

Don't be surprised if the Gameday doesn't work as fast as expected.

I've found that the info during offseason games updates MUCH more slowly than during the season.

Like... sometimes the data doesn't show up AT ALL until the game is over.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 02:45 PM)
Viciedo picks up an RBI on a first inning SF

Now, we're down 17-4 in the 7th.

The only 'good' news is that it wasn't WhiteSox pitchers that were getting abused.

Edited by scenario

Sergio Santos in to pitch the 8th!

First pitch... 96 mph!!

Four 4-seam fastballs, a changeup and a curve to the first batter who ended up grounding out.

All the fastballs were over the plate. The curve and change missed (both were balls).

Edited by scenario

Gave up 2 hits but got out of the inning. Got outs on a groundout, a liner to left, and a strikeout.

Threw mostly 4-seam fastballs averaging 95-96 mph. Threw one at 97 mph.

Threw around 4 changeups in the inning... one for a strike. Changeups averaged 85-86 mph.

Threw 2 curveballs... one for a ball, the second struck out the final batter he faced in the 8th inning. The first was 84 mph, the second was 86.

I would love to see if we could get him to drop his speed on the changeup to get a little more spread between that and his fastball.

Edited by scenario

Santos pitched another inning.

First batter got a soft single to left...

The baserunner was erased when the next batter grounded into a DP.

Final batter grounded out.

Decent outing.

It'll be very interesting to see how he does as a reliever at this level.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Oct 13, 2009 -> 05:11 PM)
Gave up 2 hits but got out of the inning. Got outs on a groundout, a liner to left, and a strikeout.

Threw mostly 4-seam fastballs averaging 95-96 mph. Threw one at 97 mph.

Threw around 4 changeups in the inning... one for a strike. Changeups averaged 85-86 mph.

Threw 2 curveballs... one for a ball, the second struck out the final batter he faced in the 8th inning. The first was 84 mph, the second was 86.

I would love to see if we could get him to drop his speed on the changeup to get a little more spread between that and his fastball.

that changeup looks like it's the perfect change of speed to me. A 10 MPH difference is usually good enough, especially if Santos is just going to remain a reliever.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 03:22 PM)
If he can do that and not get hammered, that's a good sign, because he doesn't really have any plus stuff. He's control-reliant.

I didn't understand why he couldn't get in a good groove during the season this year.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 04:17 PM)
High 80s fastballs for both Cassel and Long. Wasn't Long supposed to throw harder than that when the Sox drafted him?

Not sure on Long, but Cassel is 88-90 usually anyway, so no surprise there. He has to be heavy on control, walk nearly no one, and have solid multiple breaking pitches he can throw for strikes, to be effective.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
I believe Long had Tommy John on his elbow in 04, two years before the Sox drafted him. As of the draft he was supposed to have plus-heat and a plus-curve.

That sounds like Omogrosso, but I could be wrong.