Arizona Fall League

scenario

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 07:43 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-21-arizona-fall-league-oct21,0,4568224.story

It also looks like the Sox are trying to fit Cassel into the long relief role next season. They may see Carrasco moving to the 7th inning role.

The byword for Cassel, who split 2009 between Double A and Triple A, is "consistency. With the style of pitcher I am and where I am in the organization, I see myself as a spot starter or a long-relief, multiple-innings guy. I'm happy they made a move with me last summer to see how I did out of the bullpen."

Well, that is what Justin is shooting for, but that doesn't mean its what the Sox plan to do. I am not sure Cassel has major league stuff. I thought he did at one time, but I am doubtful now.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 09:07 AM)
Well, that is what Justin is shooting for, but that doesn't mean its what the Sox plan to do. I am not sure Cassel has major league stuff. I thought he did at one time, but I am doubtful now.

Cassel's variation in velocity really worries me. There's no consistency (or life) behind that fastball.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)

I don't know for sure if Cassel is still in the Sox long relief plans or not but the last line suggests that the Sox thought it might be a possibility at the time. If he can at least throw strikes he would be an alright option in blow out games.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 08:30 AM)
Cassel's variation in velocity really worries me. There's no consistency (or life) behind that fastball.

I guess I haven't seen the inconsistency in velocity. My worries are other things. First, his fastball doesn't top 90, and is usually lower than that. You can get away with that in the majors, if you have great movement and great control, can induce a lot of ground balls, etc.. But look at his walk numbers last year, they went way up - so the lack of control is problematic. And I haven't seen anythign in scouting reports telling me he has any plus moving pitches, nor does he seem to be able to locate them. So really, he just doesn't have it, at least right now. Also, its disturbing that he did so well in AA in 2008, then got beat up in the same league this year.

I'm hoping this year was an aberration, and that he can get the control back, and maybe have a shot at a job some day. But he needs to step it up in AFL, and ST next year, and AAA next season.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 05:43 AM)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-2...0,4568224.story

It also looks like the Sox are trying to fit Cassel into the long relief role next season. They may see Carrasco moving to the 7th inning role.

The byword for Cassel, who split 2009 between Double A and Triple A, is "consistency. With the style of pitcher I am and where I am in the organization, I see myself as a spot starter or a long-relief, multiple-innings guy. I'm happy they made a move with me last summer to see how I did out of the bullpen."

By the way, I just want to say, you need to post more. You are an excellent poster. I'd be curious to see how the Sox plan on using Cassel in the long-relief role because I question whether he has the command of his "so-so" stuff to succeed at the major league level.

What he does against some of the elite prospects in the game in the AFL should be a good indicator for Kenny as to where you can project a guy like Cassel. I'd personally rather see a guy like Torres, but the Sox love carrying two lefties and Cassel's pretty muc our only other option because I highly doubt Randy Williams will be back on the 25 man roster (at least I hope not).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
By the way, I just want to say, you need to post more. You are an excellent poster. I'd be curious to see how the Sox plan on using Cassel in the long-relief role because I question whether he has the command of his "so-so" stuff to succeed at the major league level.

What he does against some of the elite prospects in the game in the AFL should be a good indicator for Kenny as to where you can project a guy like Cassel. I'd personally rather see a guy like Torres, but the Sox love carrying two lefties and Cassel's pretty muc our only other option because I highly doubt Randy Williams will be back on the 25 man roster (at least I hope not).

Cassel is right-handed, unless he switched arms during the season (maybe that explains his walk rate).

There are essentially NO lefty relievers in the top two tiers of the Sox' minor league system right now. Williams appears to be the only option in-house for a 2nd lefty to Thornton.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)
Cassel is right-handed, unless he switched arms during the season (maybe that explains his walk rate).

There are essentially NO lefty relievers in the top two tiers of the Sox' minor league system right now. Williams appears to be the only option in-house for a 2nd lefty to Thornton.

Wow, I've thought for like 4 years that he was a lefty. I'm a dumbass. I swear when he was drafted they announced him as a lefty and I never look at stuff like that once I get something in my head.

My bad.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)
Wow, I've thought for like 4 years that he was a lefty. I'm a dumbass. I swear when he was drafted they announced him as a lefty and I never look at stuff like that once I get something in my head.

My bad.

For further background, check out his AAP page.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 08:07 AM)

to be fair, I don't think DJ Carrasco really has MLB stuff either, but he has gotten by on smoke and mirrors for two straight years now.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 09:21 AM)

Like it or not, that's a position we really need to address on the FA market.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 11:19 AM)
By the way, I just want to say, you need to post more. You are an excellent poster. :wub:

Thank you very much!

One thing I will say though is that I try to express my thoughts as my opinions, wanting to get the feedback of others. I do not pretend to know everything, or even much of anything for that matter. One thing that I've noticed from observing this site for many years is that the posters who seem to cause the most strife and contention with others are the ones who regard there own opinions as fact and everyone else needs to get as smart as they are to be on their level.

Edited by balfanman

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 11:25 AM)

My bad.

Were you thinking of Justin Edwards maybe? Same first name, both have underwhelming stuff, taken same year in the draft, both had minor league success, etc. Edwards is the lefty.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 10:22 AM)
Were you thinking of Justin Edwards maybe? Same first name, both have underwhelming stuff, taken same year in the draft, both had minor league success, etc. Edwards is the lefty.

I think I assumed from his draft day scouting report that he was a lefty and went with it. And your probably right. Probably one of the biggest gaffes I've ever had.

Feel like a boob for being wrong for like 4 years on something that basic, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 01:23 PM)
I think I assumed from his draft day scouting report that he was a lefty and went with it. And your probably right. Probably one of the biggest gaffes I've ever had.

Feel like a boob for being wrong for like 4 years on something that basic, haha.

Damn, don't be so hard on yourself man. Cassel is so far down on the list of guys to watch that it doesn't really matter IMO.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 11:33 AM)
Damn, don't be so hard on yourself man. Cassel is so far down on the list of guys to watch that it doesn't really matter IMO.

Haha, I'm gonna blame it on getting engaged...my useless sports info takes a backseat, haha.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 11:23 AM)

If that's one of the biggest gaffes you've ever had you're in great shape.