Arizona Fall League

scenario

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 04:36 PM)
Just goes to show that K's wether in pitching or hitting aren't the end all be all stat.

The team with the best ERA in the league (Phoenix Devil Dogs) had the second fewest strikeouts... but gave up the fewest walks.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 02:39 PM)
Not sure about the dogpile after the game, but good for CJ. It's unbelievable how many times he comes through in those situations.

I like Morel's swing. Seems like a solid player.

really? I loved that dog pile. They're just kids having fun playing the game they love. Jordan's face was priceless, pure joy.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 05:26 PM)
So do folks really believe Retherford/Morel are legitimate prospects?

Depends what you mean by 'legitimate prospects'.

If you mean 'do they have a shot at getting called up to the major leagues someday'... then I think the answer is yes.

If you mean 'do they have a shot at sticking around for awhile in the majors in some role'... possibly.

If you mean 'will they become star players'... probably not.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)

If you mean 'do they have a shot at getting called up to the major leagues someday'... then I think the answer is yes.

If you mean 'do they have a shot at sticking around in the majors in some role'... maybe.

I guess the second one is what I'm asking. Just seems to me that although they've both had terrific years, neither has the skillset to make any impact in the majors. Doesn't matter, really. KW will deal them as soon as he gets the chance.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 05:38 PM)
I guess the second one is what I'm asking. Just seems to me that although they've both had terrific years, neither has the skillset to make any impact in the majors. Doesn't matter, really. KW will deal them as soon as he gets the chance.

Just following up on your earlier question...

Each of them has special attributes that should get them a shot if they continue to develop...

A. Both have nice simple swings (no hitches) and seem to hit the ball for both average and power.

B. Retherford can play multiple positions. That's a plus for him to get on and stick on a roster.

C. Morel is a plus defender at 3B.

The combination of their hitting and fielding attributes gives them a significant advantage over alot of other guys... for example, 1Bs and corner outfielders... who have to hit a ton to not be 'dime a dozen' types.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (scenario @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 05:34 PM)

If you mean 'do they have a shot at sticking around for awhile in the majors in some role'... possibly.

Why could Morel not be a star player?

I thought I just read that we drafted him because he has a "high ceiling" and were ecstatic to get him where we did?

As for the strikeouts thingie you guys were talking about, strikeouts in the mlb are far more relevant than in the minor leagues.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 21, 2009 -> 06:30 PM)
Why could Morel not be a star player?

I'm not knocking him. He could turn out to be a very good major league player some day.

I'm just suggesting that the odds of a guy who hasn't played above A-ball yet being an MLB star are low and that the law of averages is working against him... just to make it to the majors... much less becoming a star.

Regarding where we drafted him, etc. Actually he was considered a reach in the 4th round... somebody who wasn't high on alot of teams boards and probably could have been picked up later in the draft. But so far, he's making the people who picked him look pretty good.

Edited by scenario