Gun Toting Soccer Mom shot by husband

Kyyle23

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
Love me some irony.

I think it's not irony so much as it is a statistically striking coincidence that the woman who became a gun rights poster child was killed by a gun.

It's not a coincidence, however, that having guns in a household leads to a higher probability that something bad involving said guns will occur in that house. Unsecured guns and unsupervised children. Or in this instance, accessible guns and an emotionally distraught spouse. Those are bad things waiting to happen.

My heart goes out to the children who have to live through it.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)
I think it's not irony so much as it is a statistically striking coincidence that the woman who became a gun rights poster child was killed by a gun.

It's not a coincidence, however, that having guns in a household leads to a higher probability that something bad involving said guns will occur in that house. Unsecured guns and unsupervised children. Or in this instance, accessible guns and an emotionally distraught spouse. Those are bad things waiting to happen.

Are you saying I had an Alanis Morrissette moment?

And I agree with you and Tex about the kids...I feel awful for them.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 03:38 PM)
Are you saying I had an Alanis Morrissette moment?

And I agree with you and Tex about the kids...I feel awful for them.

Totally. A black fly in my chardonnay isn't ironic, it just sucks.

:lolhitting

Jagged Little Pill was actually a guilty pleasure of mine. I still think it's a great album and you are now allowed to openly mock me.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)
Totally. A black fly in my chardonnay isn't ironic, it just sucks.

Jagged Little Pill was actually a guilty pleasure of mine. I still think it's a great album and you are now allowed to openly mock me.

When JLP came out I was the program director at my college radio station. We got that CD about three months before You Outta Know hit the airways, and I fell in love with the CD. About the time I got bored with it, mass radio picked it up and killed it for me. The other one I still like to this day is the Presidents of the USA's first big album with Lump and Peaches on it. I still break that out from time to time.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 04:35 PM)
No mocking needed because that was a really good album. However, I owned this CD early on in high school:

312Y67D3SVL._SS500_.jpg

I should be waterboarded. I have no excuses.

What I wanna know, What I really wanna know. . . is WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING?!!

:D

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 03:35 PM)
No mocking needed because that was a really good album. However, I owned this CD early on in high school:

312Y67D3SVL._SS500_.jpg

I should be waterboarded. I have no excuses.

You are correct, that is an awesome album. I also bought the CD right away and downloaded all the tunes that were available. I absolutely wore it out.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 02:27 PM)

You need way more deatils than were available at either of those links. Did husband shoot her with her own gun or his own gun? If it was his own, it would seem that in this case, having one didnt help. Althogh not having one wouldnt have helped either, so it would be a lose/lose situation all around. I don't see how her having the gun increased the probability at all, if the hubby had his own and was intent on killing her anyway. Did another story come out saying she was shot with her own gun? Your post seems to imply that.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)
You need way more deatils than were available at either of those links. Did husband shoot her with her own gun or his own gun? If it was his own, it would seem that in this case, having one didnt help. Althogh not having one wouldnt have helped either, so it would be a lose/lose situation all around. I don't see how her having the gun increased the probability at all, if the hubby had his own and was intent on killing her anyway. Did another story come out saying she was shot with her own gun? Your post seems to imply that.

If she was stabbed to death or choked, it wouldn't be ironic. It's just the fact that she was shot, although I do know what you are saying.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 05:06 PM)

That wasn't my intent, and I don't know if it was her gun. I'm not even assuming it was. Rather, I'll assert that the spouse of such a vocal gun owner/lover is probably a like-minded individual and probably was also a gun fetishist with his own gun. In either case, gun accessibility combined with emotional instability culminated in a tragedy.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 04:06 PM)

I've seen many stats that suggest having a gun in your home leads to increased gun incidents compared to not having a gun in your home. Which is about as obvious as having a car increases the likelihood of having a car accident.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 04:10 PM)
That wasn't my intent, and I don't know if it was her gun. I'm not even assuming it was. Rather, I'll assert that the spouse of such a vocal gun owner/lover is probably a like-minded individual and probably was also a gun fetishist with his own gun. In either case, gun accessibility combined with emotional instability culminated in a tragedy.

http://www.examiner.com/x-12837-US-Headlin...-murder-suicide

Scott Hain worked as a parole officer and was a former prison guard at the State Correctional Institute in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. Sp he was empowered by the state to be carrying a gun and would have been able to shoot her, regardless of his wife's gun-toting, had he disired to do so. Which, apparently, he did. Should we ban cops and other law enforcement types from bringing their guns home, since having a gun in the house is so bad?

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
http://www.examiner.com/x-12837-US-Headlin...-murder-suicide

Scott Hain worked as a parole officer and was a former prison guard at the State Correctional Institute in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. Sp he was empowered by the state to be carrying a gun and would have been able to shoot her, regardless of his wife's gun-toting, had he disired to do so. Which, apparently, he did. Should we ban cops and other law enforcement types from bringing their guns home, since having a gun in the house is so bad?

I'm not at all sure what point you are trying to make. I asserted that easy access to firearms at a time a when a person is emotionally distraught is a potentially lethal mix, as it most certainly was in this unfortunate case. In this particular house in Gunville USA, we know that at least three firearms were easily accessible — her 9 mm, his 9 mm, and his shotgun. Only two of these guns were involved in the incident and the soccer mom piece was not one of them, and I didn't assume it was when the story broke. I did suggest that Gun Mommy probably had a like-minded Gun Daddy at home, and obviously she did.

As far as banning law enforcement types from bringing their guns home — I actually think that would be an idea worth exploring. But that has nothing to do with whether I agree or not with someone's constitutional right to make their home into a fatal accident waiting to happen. It would be more along the lines of not abusing the rights and privileges of one's position as well as not complicating the legal process by having sanctioned law enforcement firearms involved in off- duty altercations including domestic shootings, pesky accidental dead kids, and home invasions. If the cop or sheriff or prison guard wants to be armed at home, the constitution guarantees that right and he/she can load up on privately owned and registered firearms.

I've intentionally not gotten into the conversation of armed off-duty officers away from the home because it was not part of the hypothetical scenario you laid out. And I've merely said that banning official-use arms in the homes of off-duty officials is worth exploring and why, not that I'm looking for a law to be passed tomorrow.