Chicago Hippie History

Texsox

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 04:59 PM)
Definitely Old Town. It was full of shops and neat little arts and craft type places. And you had the Earl of Old Town, Somebody Else's Troubles, the Quiet Knight, the Old Town School of Folk Music. It was a pretty cool area.

They say if your memory of it is that good then you couldn't have been there!

:P

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Oct 8, 2009 -> 03:59 PM)
Definitely Old Town. It was full of shops and neat little arts and craft type places. And you had the Earl of Old Town, Somebody Else's Troubles, the Quiet Knight, the Old Town School of Folk Music. It was a pretty cool area.

Thank you, I was half listening to a show and they referenced Haight and it started me to thinking . . . The names started to become familiar from stories, especially Piper's Alley.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:00 AM)
Levis, Starbucks, Walgreens, Urban Outfitters and BoA are in Wicker Park.

Oh hell, there are Starbucks and Walgreens and Banks of America in EVERY neighborhood.

Damen north of North is Bucktown, and it has all the she-she fashion crap, DQ, and other stuff like that. Levi's, I thought, was north of there too, but now I'm not sure.

Walk down Milwaukee or Damen, south from North Avenue, and I don't think you'll find a more hippie-haven neighborhood in the city.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:18 AM)
Walk down Milwaukee or Damen, south from North Avenue, and I don't think you'll find a more hippie-haven neighborhood in the city.

And say hello to the hookers working North Avenue on your walk.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
You obviously haven't been back to that neighborhood in a LONG time.

It has been 15+ years since I worked in the city. The worse neighborhoods then were North Avenue, Lake Street under the El, and Cicero Ave. I'm certain there must have been more, but I never had to drive through there.