Discussion: Project Prospect's Top 25 pitchers

DaTank

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said before and will say again, I'd move Floyd before I'd move Hudson. And I might move Danks too, depending on the return. Cost VS production is a huge thing, and from having seen Hudson throw about 2-3 innings, you can see that he has everything it takes to become a good MLB starting pitcher. I'd imagine when he throws a 4-seamer, he can get it up to 94-96, and his 2-seamer sits comfortably at 90-93 and has crazy movement. It's all a matter of control with Hudson, and if his minor league numbers indicate anything, he'll develop it. Hudson looks like a keeper, and if the Sox are going to deal him, it will be as the centerpiece for one hell of a player. What player can the Sox really acquire that you would be comfortable dealing Hudson for that might be available? About the only one I can think of is BJ Upton.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 12:25 PM)
What player can the Sox really acquire that you would be comfortable dealing Hudson for that might be available? About the only one I can think of is BJ Upton.

Prince Fielder. Adrian Gonzalez. Dan Haren. Etc. There's always a star or two getting close enough to FA that they're starting to get too expensive for a team that isn't performing around them.

QUOTE (vasox @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 04:25 PM)
Well, here is another link that can keep the conversations going:

http://minors.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/10...f_the_year.html

:gosoxretro:

That was a damn good post. :)

I really like enjoy seeing Jonathan Mayo say...

"Are these the only 10 pitchers worth talking about for this? Maybe not... That being said -- and again, this is only my opinion -- you're going to have a hard time convincing me Daniel Hudson is not the Pitcher of the Year."

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 02:49 PM)
Prince Fielder. Adrian Gonzalez. Dan Haren. Etc. There's always a star or two getting close enough to FA that they're starting to get too expensive for a team that isn't performing around them.

Maybe Adrian Gonzalez, and like I said, maybe BJ Upton. I don't touch Haren or Fielder simply because the rotation is fine as it is and investing too much into the rotation could hurt, and Fielder is like a year away from free agency and he's not resigning.

I have to agree with Wite on this one. I'd deal Floyd or Danks before Hudson, if nothing else because of the cost. At some point, if these young players we are all counting on do develop into the productive stars we need them to be, we're going to have to pay the piper. And at that point, we're not going to be able to pay a rotation that includes Peavy, Buehrle, Floyd and Danks. There are going to have to be at least 2 cheap young starters in that rotation. Not knowing what Floyd's hip issues may be, it's hard to say who you deal, but knowing that Buehrle will probably play out his contract here, and Peavy was just acquired, that leaves Danks and Floyd on the chopping block. As much as I love Gavin, I don't think I could bring myself to deal Danks unless it looked like he would be difficult to sign - and given that he did dump Boras - indications are that he won't be too ridiculous, although he did turn down the same deal Floyd accepted this past offseason.

If you could deal Floyd for a guy like Upton, I might be interested, although at this point, I am holding out that Jared Mitchell pans out to take that last spot in the OF sometime in the middle of 2011. That means you have to find a temporary guy for 1.5 seasons or so. I'd rather find that in FA and concentrate on getting a young arm in return for Floyd as well as a 1b with one hell of a stick to replace Konerko in 2011.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 12:05 AM)
I like Hudson quite a bit too, but there's no way i'd trade Floyd over him. Their is nothing in Huddy's arsenal quite as potent as the Floyd curveball, i believe Gavin had the making of our #1 starter, prior to the Peavy trade.

Then who are you willing to deal? Because I don't forsee us being able to keep all four of those starters unless we are ridding ourselves of Rios or not eventually paying Carlos, or having absolutely nothing in our payroll devoted to our bullpen. Now that Jose, Dye and Thome and are gone, and their salaries have been replaced by Peavy's and Rios', we basically have 1 more big salary coming off the books in Konerko's. Where is the money going to come from once we have to pay some of these younger guys?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 01:31 AM)
Then who are you willing to deal? Because I don't forsee us being able to keep all four of those starters unless we are ridding ourselves of Rios or not eventually paying Carlos, or having absolutely nothing in our payroll devoted to our bullpen. Now that Jose, Dye and Thome and are gone, and their salaries have been replaced by Peavy's and Rios', we basically have 1 more big salary coming off the books in Konerko's. Where is the money going to come from once we have to pay some of these younger guys?

I'd be willing to trade Danks and Hudson. Hell, in a couple of years i might be willing to trade Buehrle too. Floyd's untouchable for me.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 11:55 PM)
I'd be willing to trade Danks and Hudson. Hell, in a couple of years i might be willing to trade Buehrle too. Floyd's untouchable for me.

I sort of feel that way too, but I don't know that if it actually came down to it, that I could deal Danksy. For whatever reason, he's the guy I envision being the face of this franchise in the future...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 12:59 AM)
I sort of feel that way too, but I don't know that if it actually came down to it, that I could deal Danksy. For whatever reason, he's the guy I envision being the face of this franchise in the future...

I'd trade Floyd way before Danks as well. I still feel Danks has the better potential and younger, not to mention Floyd still has that hip problem. The "Face of the franchise" statement is a bit steep considering that's Beckham no questions asked, but Danks can be that potential ace for the pitching staff, not to mention that man is a bulldog in the clutch. I'm just glad for our sake we have both of these guys, and hopefully Floyd's injury isn't as bad as some think.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 12:31 AM)
I'd trade Floyd way before Danks as well. I still feel Danks has the better potential and younger, not to mention Floyd still has that hip problem. The "Face of the franchise" statement is a bit steep considering that's Beckham no questions asked, but Danks can be that potential ace for the pitching staff, not to mention that man is a bulldog in the clutch. I'm just glad for our sake we have both of these guys, and hopefully Floyd's injury isn't as bad as some think.

Well, I suppose the pitching face of the franchise. As much as Mark has been an ambassador for this franchise (rather unintentionally), when you see Mark and Johnny sitting side by side, you can't help but see the torch being passed...

There's no way in hell I'd trade Floyd or Danks over Hudson. I too have been impressed with Danny, but Jesus Christ people! He's not the prospect that Project Prospect is saying he is and he hasn't done anything yet to show he's even half as valuable to us as each one of Floyd and Danks are. If/when Hudson shows he can be as good in the Majors as Floyd and Danks have been, then you can put him in that category.

All I know is that if some other GM held Hudson in such high regard as Danks or Floyd, then I immediately open trade talks with that guy.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 07:18 PM)
There's no way in hell I'd trade Floyd or Danks over Hudson. I too have been impressed with Danny, but Jesus Christ people! He's not the prospect that Project Prospect is saying he is and he hasn't done anything yet to show he's even half as valuable to us as each one of Floyd and Danks are. If/when Hudson shows he can be as good in the Majors as Floyd and Danks have been, then you can put him in that category.

All I know is that if some other GM held Hudson in such high regard as Danks or Floyd, then I immediately open trade talks with that guy.

Agreed, on both points.