Discussion: Project Prospect's Top 25 pitchers

DaTank

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 01:18 PM)
There's no way in hell I'd trade Floyd or Danks over Hudson. I too have been impressed with Danny, but Jesus Christ people! He's not the prospect that Project Prospect is saying he is and he hasn't done anything yet to show he's even half as valuable to us as each one of Floyd and Danks are. If/when Hudson shows he can be as good in the Majors as Floyd and Danks have been, then you can put him in that category.

All I know is that if some other GM held Hudson in such high regard as Danks or Floyd, then I immediately open trade talks with that guy.

completely agree. Hudson is not the #3 pitching prospect. this list is garbage. it still has carlos carassco as #7 i believe (didnt go back and check) and hes nothing.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (docsox24 @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 11:02 AM)
completely agree. Hudson is not the #3 pitching prospect. this list is garbage. it still has carlos carassco as #7 i believe (didnt go back and check) and hes nothing.

Carrasco was the 52nd rated prospect according to BA going into the season, and though he ended the season with a 4.64 ERA in AAA and was brutal in the majors, his peripherals in the minors were just fine, outside of his homers - 1.24 WHIP, 8.5 K/9, 2.6 BB/9, 1 HR/9. Compare that to Hudson, who put up 2.32 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 0.3 HR/9, 2.1 BB/9, and 10.1 K/9 over 4 levels of the minors, and more than held his own in AAA in the 4 starts he made (3.00 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 0.4 HR/9, 3.4 BB/9, and 9 K/9). The most encouraging statistic out of all of that is the 0.4 HR/9, considering Charlotte is a complete bandbox. He needs to work on his control a bit, as described by those numbers and what he displayed in the majors, but there is an absolute ton of potential there. I imagine you'd be pretty hardpressed to find any pitcher in the minors who did anything close to what Hudson did this year, and if they did it in the fashion Hudson did (with great peripherals and actual numbers to back it up) they'd be right where Hudson is today.

If some GM views Hudson in the same light as Floyd and Danks, then surely you move him first. I'm still against moving Hudson for financial purposes, but it's also because he simply doesn't have the same track record as those two, but I think he can very shortly get to that point. Even considering that Padres were in a desperate situation where they needed to deal Peavy, it still says something about how the organization feels about Hudson when they said he was untouchable.

I also doubt very much that the Rays would want either Danks or Floyd in a deal for Upton simply due to the financials of the situation, but that doesn't mean that some type of 3-way deal couldn't be worked out where Williams dealt one of those two for a couple of very good prospects only to flip them to the Rays for Upton.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 07:29 AM)
Carrasco was the 52nd rated prospect according to BA going into the season, and though he ended the season with a 4.64 ERA in AAA and was brutal in the majors, his peripherals in the minors were just fine, outside of his homers - 1.24 WHIP, 8.5 K/9, 2.6 BB/9, 1 HR/9. Compare that to Hudson, who put up 2.32 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, 0.3 HR/9, 2.1 BB/9, and 10.1 K/9 over 4 levels of the minors, and more than held his own in AAA in the 4 starts he made (3.00 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 0.4 HR/9, 3.4 BB/9, and 9 K/9). The most encouraging statistic out of all of that is the 0.4 HR/9, considering Charlotte is a complete bandbox. He needs to work on his control a bit, as described by those numbers and what he displayed in the majors, but there is an absolute ton of potential there. I imagine you'd be pretty hardpressed to find any pitcher in the minors who did anything close to what Hudson did this year, and if they did it in the fashion Hudson did (with great peripherals and actual numbers to back it up) they'd be right where Hudson is today.

If some GM views Hudson in the same light as Floyd and Danks, then surely you move him first. I'm still against moving Hudson for financial purposes, but it's also because he simply doesn't have the same track record as those two, but I think he can very shortly get to that point. Even considering that Padres were in a desperate situation where they needed to deal Peavy, it still says something about how the organization feels about Hudson when they said he was untouchable.

I also doubt very much that the Rays would want either Danks or Floyd in a deal for Upton simply due to the financials of the situation, but that doesn't mean that some type of 3-way deal couldn't be worked out where Williams dealt one of those two for a couple of very good prospects only to flip them to the Rays for Upton.

forget upton if were going to do that then go for adrian gonzales

QUOTE (1977 sox fan @ Oct 14, 2009 -> 10:47 PM)
from our minor league system ? any 10 they want period

Agreed. Gonzalez would be a player that we could financially afford for the next two years even if we didn't move another contract. He'd drastically improve our offense, and as a 1B/DH, he wouldn't hurt our defense while doing so like a lot of the free agent suggestions on this board would. We're talking about adding two years of production that would be worth $40M+ on the open market for a price of $10.25M total, and on top of it, even if we couldn't get an extension worked out, he's a guaranteed Type A free agent where we would get high draft picks in exchange. Using last year's draft as an example, it would be like trading our farm for 2 years of Gonzalez plus Mitchell and Phegley. And if we win with Gonzalez then the payroll goes up and we can afford to keep our starting rotation intact.

IMO dealing the farm for a player like that is a no-brainer if the Padres will agree. If I'm Kenny, as soon as the final out of the World Series is made, I contact the Padres, and assuming they have named a GM by then, I offer that deal. And if the Padres look to be moving towards hiring someone that we don't think will be a great trading partner for us, then if I'm Kenny I work my ass off trying to get Rick Hahn a job as Padres GM. If that works then I try to get Hahn enough power to make the deal for me. That's how bad I want that guy. Major offense + middle-of-the-order lefty bat + cheap contract = perfect target for Kenny Williams.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 01:10 AM)
I wouldn't trade Danks or Floyd for Upton straight up. Why would you?

I'm not going to think about this question at all because if I do my brain will explode.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 10:59 AM)
And if the Padres look to be moving towards hiring someone that we don't think will be a great trading partner for us, then if I'm Kenny I work my ass off trying to get Rick Hahn a job as Padres GM. If that works then I try to get Hahn enough power to make the deal for me. That's how bad I want that guy. Major offense + middle-of-the-order lefty bat + cheap contract = perfect target for Kenny Williams.

I like it, aside from losing Hahn. He's way too helpful an assistant GM.

Since Kenny is a respected GM around the league, as long as it isn't one of Billy Beane's disciples who gets the job, Kenny would have a trading partner.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 15, 2009 -> 10:51 PM)
Why? Billy Beane trades with KW all the time. They're actually really good friends. I don't see why KW would have any trouble dealing with guys like Depodesta or Forst. Hell, he seemed to get along great with Riccardi too.

Oh, I always thought Beane and Kenny had some sort of dislike for each other (didn't something in Moneyball call out Kenny's GM style?), and that trades like the Swisher one were because Beane thought he was robbing Kenny (though that trade really had no "winner" in my eyes).