Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

StrangeSox

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:44 AM)
as a Dem, I'm thoroughly confused and slightly annoyed. I hate this kind of blind faith, and I thought we'd gotten past all the Obamania. But I guess we haven't quite... shame. Essentially with all this godliness we're heaping on Obama, it's going to be impossible for him to "succeed". How bout he's just a man. A very powerful man, but a man nonetheless. Not to mention one with a pitiful congress backing him up. But that's for another time.

Great post.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
On a side note, my girl Norah O'Donnell made a great point, people like Bill Clinton, Elie Wiesel, Nelson Mandela haven't won this award... and I believe they are more deserving.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
Mandela hasn't won?

That's a f***ing travesty.

Case-in-point.

Nelson Mandela won in 1993 and Elie Wiesel won in 1986. If only reporters would actually do research than mouth off their opinions...

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:32 AM)
For the record,

I'd be in favor for any president from here on out to use their platform to help fellow american cities AND individuals in international competitions.

Agreed.

QUOTE (RibbieRubarb @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:32 AM)
Nelson Mandela won in 1993 and Elie Wiesel won in 1986. If only reporters would actually do research than mouth off their opinions...

I am ashamed of my girl Norah. Maybe I misheard her... but I dont think I did because i'm pretty sure Clinton hasnt won it yet.

I am ashamed of my girl Norah. Maybe I misheard her... but I dont think I did because i'm pretty sure Clinton hasnt won it yet.

--------------------

Proud Member of the Beckham Boner Club.

I laughed at the juxtaposition. :lolhitting

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 04:38 PM)
Obama has been speaking about peace the entire year, not sure why he couldnt win the award?

Who cares that he was only President for 10 days, you can win the award and not be President.

it was just the nomination, as well, and as I've stated, that was 8 days after his exec. order to shut down Guantanimo and he outlawed torture...not surprising you could get a nomination for that.

per WSJ:

"The selection process has become increasingly cumbersome as the aura around the prize has grown. There are now between 150 and 200 nominations every year: This year saw a record 205."

So, his nomination isn't a surprise.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:20 AM)
Oh, god. He just accepted it. The man didn't even have the sense to turn it down.

You can't turn that award down as POTUS. It would be a huge slap in the face to the organization and the rest of the world. He shouldn't even have to anyways. He didn't deserve the award, but he was given it anyways by other people. It's not a bad thing to receive a Nobel Prize and i'm sure he's honored as a person and as an American to receive it. It does reflect well on our country to have our president win such an award, regardless of whether he should have or not.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:44 AM)
You can't turn that award down as POTUS. It would be a huge slap in the face to the organization and the rest of the world. He shouldn't even have to anyways. He didn't deserve the award, but he was given it anyways by other people. It's not a bad thing to receive a Nobel Prize and i'm sure he's honored as a person and as an American to receive it. It does reflect well on our country to have our president win such an award, regardless of whether he should have or not.

I agree. It doesn't matter whether we think he deserved it or not. He has to take it.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:28 AM)
Another dumb Facebook comment in response to how I think that Obama partially won the award because he's not Bush:

"Oh, please. You can't really believe that. Or maybe you can."

While we're on the topic of dumb facebook comments. He's a friend of mine's response to someone else claiming they can't believe he won and asking what he has done. (and no there is no sarcasm in the below comment, unfortunately)

"umm wow seriously guys? come on. obama is the reason citizens in africa (even though still very 3rd world to the US) have Free universal Health care."