Dewayne Wise Declares Free Agency

SoxFan1

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 12:05 PM)
He'll sign with the Nats. Hit .333 in 666 PA. 35 HR's 25 outfield assists, 120 RBI, make 5 game saving catches then become a key figure on Obama's staff.

222 hits in one year, does he even have 222 career hits?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 01:04 PM)
Players in baseball have roles, every one of them. Wise was stuck into a role that his career numbers dictated he should not have been.

His career numbers indicate he should have never reached a major league roster. It's Ozzie fault that he never held Wise to the same standard that he held everyone else on the team.

So he declines being outrighted to Charlotte, which by the way is close to his hometown, declares free agency, will probably wind up with another AAA club, when he could have remained with the White Sox, the only place he's likely to see the Majors???

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 12:04 PM)
I would say the impossible situation was Ozzie declaring him the CF starter. Everyone, probably including Wise deep down, knew he was a marginal bench player and wasnt supposed to be counted on to be the starting CF. He was, and he did what everyone thought he would, hit poorly.

Players in baseball have roles, every one of them. Wise was stuck into a role that his career numbers dictated he should not have been.

Pretty much. You can blame Ozzie, maybe, a little, for playing him over Anderson, a marginally better player. You can blame KW, mostly, for not providing any better options. You can blame the economy for scaring the Sox into cutting 25 mil in payroll. But you can hardly blame Wise, a career minor leaguer, for hitting like a career minor leaguer.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 12:10 PM)
His career numbers indicate he should have never reached a major league roster. It's Ozzie fault that he never held Wise to the same standard that he held everyone else on the team.

So you agree, he was put into an impossible situation by Ozzie

If it isn't Wise catching hell here for being the 25th player in the ballclub,it'll be someone else...

Best of luck to ya D Weezy.

Amen. Why he is the whipping boy is beyond belief. He had 2 of the top moments of the season, definitely in the Sox's top 10. The catch, which is one of the best glove plays in Sox history and didn't he have a walk off hit versus the Yankees?

I think he also gunned somebody at the plate to win another game didn't he?

Wise is all right in my book. Go Wise!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 02:05 PM)
Amen. Why he is the whipping boy is beyond belief. He had 2 of the top moments of the season, definitely in the Sox's top 10. The catch, which is one of the best glove plays in Sox history and didn't he have a walk off hit versus the Yankees?

I think he also gunned somebody at the plate to win another game didn't he?

Wise is all right in my book. Go Wise!

Wise the september call up doesn't bother me was much as Wise the starter and leadoff hitter did. He is a borderline 4th OF at best. I am glad that he gave you a few memories. He made outs in bunches and shouldn't of been on a major league roster more or less a starter. An Injury kept Ozzie from having Jerry Owens running out as a starter over Quentin, and this year an injury kept Wise from making outs at record rates as the leadoff hitter and probably was one of the things that had Kenny pickup Pods from the scrap heap.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 05:47 PM)
If it isn't Wise catching hell here for being the 25th player in the ballclub,it'll be someone else...

Best of luck to ya D Weezy.

D Wise gave it his best try for sure. Back up rolls should be interesting next season. Of course maybe D Wise will be back.

I am glad that he gave you a few memories.

Just me?

And I dispute your claim he shouldn't be on a ML roster.

As 25th man, he's great value as he proved late in the perfect game. He is good on D (didn't he throw out a Cub at the plate to save another game?) is fast and has value on the basepaths there. He should be on somebody's roster. I agree with you he's not a starter. Oz puts him in for defense and he immediately saves a perfect game. That's value right there. Didn't he also rip a home run last postseason vs. the Rays? I remember him hitting a blast against somebody that mattered. Give me a list of every team's 25th man. I'm sure many suck as badly as Wise.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 03:41 PM)
My heart weeps.

Seriously, my brother and I get in fights over D-Wise all the time. I say he's a career minor leaguer and 25th guy at best, yet my brother wants him starting over the $60 million dollar man.

Is Dewayne your brother?