Dewayne Wise Declares Free Agency

SoxFan1

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 03:32 PM)
Just me?

And I dispute your claim he shouldn't be on a ML roster.

As 25th man, he's great value as he proved late in the perfect game. He is good on D (didn't he throw out a Cub at the plate to save another game?) is fast and has value on the basepaths there. He should be on somebody's roster. I agree with you he's not a starter. Oz puts him in for defense and he immediately saves a perfect game. That's value right there. Didn't he also rip a home run last postseason vs. the Rays? I remember him hitting a blast against somebody that mattered. Give me a list of every team's 25th man. I'm sure many suck as badly as Wise.

You get far too caught up in small moments over a 6 month span.

Small moments?? My god. Those were all huge moments.

I agree he's not a starter.

I do not agree with those who say he doesn't deserve to be a 25th man.

He has some value in that role.

Are all 25th people on a roster stars? Wise can help a team. Is he a 400 at bat guy? God no.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)

Are all 25th people on a roster stars? Wise can help a team. Is he a 400 at bat guy? God no.

my god. my god. my god.

Yes, 1 catch, no matter how big at the time, is a small moment. Did that catch propel the Sox to greatness this season? Did his walkoff hit change the course of the franchise?

No, they didnt do s***. Im not going to get all weepy eyed and act like 1 walkoff hit gives Wise my eternal thanks, and who gives a care if it against the Yankees or Royals? It doesnt matter, in the end, the Sox had a mediocre-bad season, and part of that was starting Wise in center at the beginning of the season.

Im sorry that you and your god want to annoint him the best 25th man this year, but last I checked those awards were given about the same respect as Mr Irrelevant in the NFL. How much respect is that? None.

My god.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 03:42 PM)
Is Dewayne your brother?

No, but lets sum it up this way.

Playing MLB: The Show, my OF was Pods/Rios/Quentin, with Kotsay backing up. Rios hit .380 (ok, not realistic at all, but Pods got a Gold Glove and Kotsay got one as a 4th OF) and my brother was mad I kept him on the roster instead of cutting him and calling up Virtu-Wise who was hitting a robust .220 in AAA.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 03:47 PM)

Last year Dewayne was put on waivers. Every team in baseball could of snapped him up. Yet not one team did. Why do you think this is? He is a career minor leaguer who can't hit. He can't hit at all. Do you know how many guys are in AAA right now that run very fast, can catch everything that is in the air but can't hit major league pitching. Lots. He is not a good baseball player. Memories lie. Your memory of that single catch, or whatever specific specific moment shouldn't cloud the reality that he is not a major league player. Brian Anderson is a younger player, and I would say his diving catch in the blackout game last year is more important to the franchise than his wall catch with Buerhle. Brian could catch everything, was decently fast. Cannot hit major league pitching at all. Who knows, he may never hit major league pitching. He is gone and I don't shed a tear. Lets try and keep our 25 man roster to players who can actually contribute to winning. Getting upset because a AAAA player declared FA is kind of silly.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
who was that poster that was in Wise' corner earlier in the season, cant remember his name

That was me, damn proud of it too. Sure, maybe my prediction that he'd "dominate the league" was over blown;) Even me, he's biggest fan, knew he should of never been in the leadoff hitter. He should of been buried in the 9 hole, without pressure, even though many here say that don't mean a damn. He will sign with someone, for sure. Away from Greg Walker, who knows what the black Ross Gload may accomplish.

QUOTE (jamesdiego @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 05:51 PM)
That was me, damn proud of it too. Sure, maybe my prediction that he'd "dominate the league" was over blown;) Even me, he's biggest fan, knew he should of never been in the leadoff hitter. He should of been buried in the 9 hole, without pressure, even though many here say that don't mean a damn. He will sign with someone, for sure. Away from Greg Walker, who knows what the black Ross Gload may accomplish.

Walker ruined another one. Before Wise met Walker, he was a HOF type player.

Lets try and keep our 25 man roster to players who can actually contribute to winning

This No. 25 man has contributed us to winning games. What part of that statement don't you believe? I've cited some games he's helped us win this year and last. You think his defense and speed can't help a team in the latter innings? Or as a spot starter?

Give me a thorough analysis of all No. 25 players; I believe Wise will not be the worst by a long shot.

I just don't agree he is a worthless major leaguer. He is not worthless. He's not a starter; he's a damn good sub.

I pray he doesn't come back cause I'm sick of people blasting him when all he does is his job. I hope he's gone as well.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
This No. 25 man has contributed us to winning games. What part of that statement don't you believe? I've cited some games he's helped us win this year and last. You think his defense and speed can't help a team in the latter innings? Or as a spot starter?

Give me a thorough analysis of all No. 25 players; I believe Wise will not be the worst by a long shot.

I just don't agree he is a worthless major leaguer. He is not worthless. He's not a starter; he's a damn good sub.

I pray he doesn't come back cause I'm sick of people blasting him when all he does is his job. I hope he's gone as well.

Give me, without citing his one walkoff hit and one catch, a thorough analysis of why he is a damn good sub

here, I will tell you why he is not.

Avg .225

OBP .265

SLG% .360

OPS .628

32 hits/142 AB

27 K

4 SB/5 CS

Edited by KyYlE23

Why?

His speed. He can pinch run, steal a base. Add some speed to a slow team. Let's say Paulie gets a hit in a tie game in the ninth and we want Wise in to run. Wise can run.

His defense. He can come in the latter innings and help in that regard. Let's say somebody is trying for a perfect game. He can come in and sub for Pods in the ninth and maybe save that perfect game. Or if we lead by one in the ninth.

I do not want him back; I'm just saying he's not worthless. The fans' hatred of him alone is a good enough reason to not bring him back. We don't need the distractions. Fans booed him; let him go.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:15 PM)

suicide.gif

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)

I am not going to waste time trying to pull together stats for the tallest midget award for worst 25th man. Wise is not a good baseball player. He can't hit, and I can find lots of guys who can run fast and catch the ball. I am glad a few brief memories have allowed you to identify with AAA roster fodder.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:29 PM)
I am not going to waste time trying to pull together stats for the tallest midget award for worst 25th man. Wise is not a good baseball player. He can't hit, and I can find lots of guys who can run fast and catch the ball. I am glad a few brief memories have allowed you to identify with AAA roster fodder.

I actually went to baseball reference and started looking at players with similar amounts of at bats and games played. Wise really is the 26th out of 25

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 09:27 PM)
Why?

His speed. He can pinch run, steal a base. Add some speed to a slow team. Let's say Paulie gets a hit in a tie game in the ninth and we want Wise in to run. Wise can run.

His defense. He can come in the latter innings and help in that regard. Let's say somebody is trying for a perfect game. He can come in and sub for Pods in the ninth and maybe save that perfect game. Or if we lead by one in the ninth.

I do not want him back; I'm just saying he's not worthless. The fans' hatred of him alone is a good enough reason to not bring him back. We don't need the distractions. Fans booed him; let him go.

Dewayne Wise is not a particularly good base stealer, he's just not all that fast. He's not that incredible threat that waits at the end of most benches. No one fears Dewayne Wise's legs.

I agree he should be gone. I would say for a guy considered a total liability, he's been a decent member of the White Sox.

I don't understand why so many people hate a No. 25 roster guy; or care about him that much.

I am tempted to point out the names of some guys who deserve a lot of criticism for their play this year, but seem to get a free pass by many.

Wise at least did his job reasonably well; he was a decent No. 25 man; outfield sub, sub with speed.

Oh wait ... the guys that failed have track records. Wise has none. And on it goes.

I don't know why you say Wise isn't fast. Especially on our team he looked like Edwin Moses in his prime compared to most of our plodders. Another reason he was good to have around.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:27 PM)
Why?

His defense. He can come in the latter innings and help in that regard. Let's say somebody is trying for a perfect game. He can come in and sub for (Alexei) in the ninth and maybe save that perfect game. Or if we lead by one in the ninth.

Outside of the outfield analogy, you just described Brent Lillibridge; who is a better base stealer and is almost 10 years younger.