Golf and Rugby to be an olympic event

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 04:00 PM)
And Baseball is not.

Which makes rugbys inclusion such a joke. They claim there is no competition in baseball/softball, which was one of the main reasons to get them out. Well, what is there in rugby? Australia, New Zealand, England, Ireland, France, South Africa...who else might actually medal? There's less competition in rugby than there is in baseball/softball

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 07:16 AM)
Which makes rugbys inclusion such a joke. They claim there is no competition in baseball/softball, which was one of the main reasons to get them out. Well, what is there in rugby? Australia, New Zealand, England, Ireland, France, South Africa...who else might actually medal? There's less competition in rugby than there is in baseball/softball

I actually disagree with that.

They'll be playing Rugby Sevens, not the 15 man Rugby at the Olympics IIRC. So yeah you've got those nations above, but then all of the Island Nations such as Fiji, Western Samoa, Tonga etc. are really, really good at Rugby Sevens, so that's at least 10 countries that would be in contention.

I don't think you could say that for Baseball / Softball. You've got Cuba, U.S, Canada, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Venezuela etc. and that'd be about it.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 01:19 AM)
I actually disagree with that.

They'll be playing Rugby Sevens, not the 15 man Rugby at the Olympics IIRC. So yeah you've got those nations above, but then all of the Island Nations such as Fiji, Western Samoa, Tonga etc. are really, really good at Rugby Sevens, so that's at least 10 countries that would be in contention.

I don't think you could say that for Baseball / Softball. You've got Cuba, U.S, Canada, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Venezuela etc. and that'd be about it.

Them's fightin' words in Japan and Korea.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 10:36 PM)
Golf has set a great precedent here for other equally athletic activities to be Olympic sports.

Walking leisurely

Ring Toss

Playing MLB the Show on a psp and a treadmill

Bowling

Musical Chairs (probably too much sprinting in this one)

Wiffle ball

I'd watch Musical Chairs. I bet there'd be a lot of contact.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Oct 9, 2009 -> 03:16 PM)

My grandpa was from Argentina and he loved rugby,I think they play alot of rugby in Argentina and Uruguay but they're soccer crazy nations and I believe even basketball is more popular...

I agree though,baseball is more competitive...the IOC has a bug up their arse against the good ol' USA.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Oct 10, 2009 -> 10:02 AM)
Oh ya forget about those 2.

But I still think Rugby has more competition.

I'll give you the competition is equal between the two sports. Even if the competition was even slightly better with Rugby it's still ridiculous seeing as how the "competition level" was one of the main reasons cited for the removal of baseball.

It just doesn't make any sense to me.