Thome wants to return to Chicago

PWSox87

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 09:13 AM)
At about half or less of his former salary, I am interested.

Yeah, I'd welcome Thome back at $6M with an option for a second year. He'd be an excellent "bridge" player, and much cheaper than Abreu.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)
Would anyone else prefer Kotsay to Thome? Kotsay can actually play a few positions, probably a little more speed, and can put the bat on the ball. Thome is all-or-nothing.....the only thing making me think twice is how low our power would be up and down the lineup.

Prefer him over thome for what role? Dh, being on the team, batting fourth? Which is it? Because the answer would be no to all three. Kotsay has value, do not get me wrong. Kotsay could very well end up being a fantastic asset to the sox if utilized correctly. Realistically both could come back here, as neither would take playing time away from the other, and both can be had relatively cheap.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE (3E8 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 10:13 AM)
Thome's offensive value has dropped precipitously over the last 3 years. If it continues into next season, I don't know if he'll even provide surplus value with a $5M contract

Thome put up an .847 OPS this year. Even if that drops to .810 next year, he'll still be a good value at $5M.

You can't just take an OPS out of thin air and use it to determine how much a player will be worth. The ratio of OBP to SLG can make a big difference in calculating value (a point of OBP is better than a point of slugging.) And Thome's plate discipline has gotten progressively worse in his White Sox tenure

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
Would anyone else prefer Kotsay to Thome? Kotsay can actually play a few positions, probably a little more speed, and can put the bat on the ball. Thome is all-or-nothing.....the only thing making me think twice is how low our power would be up and down the lineup.

Kotsay as an everyday player? No.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 10:33 AM)
You can't just take an OPS out of thin air and use it to determine how much a player will be worth. The ratio of OBP to SLG can make a big difference in calculating value (a point of OBP is better than a point of slugging.) And Thome's plate discipline has gotten progressively worse in his White Sox tenure

Give us a better realistic option (i.e., not Figgins, Abreu, or Bay) to replace Thome/Dye next year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 10:41 AM)
I'd take Thome too, but I don't really find Abreu to be altogether unrealistic

He's a lot less realistic than Thome, given that he's very happy in Anaheim (and the feeling is mutual), more teams will be interested in him, and he'll command more money and years.

I would absolutely take Abreu over Thome. But it's going to be a lot easier to get JT to come back to an organization that he already likes and a city where his family is already set up.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 11:31 AM)
Yeah, I'd welcome Thome back at $6M with an option for a second year. He'd be an excellent "bridge" player, and much cheaper than Abreu.

$6M is a little steep, but I agree with using him as a "bridge" and in a lesser role than as the everyday DH. More of a rotating DH slot would be good for the team.

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 11:34 AM)

I'll happily take both of them on the team, which is not unrealistic.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 04:13 PM)
At about half or less of his former salary, I am interested.

Economy wise and all I think Big Jim would be willing to accept less somewhere around $5M to 6M is my guess. I would love to see him back in a Sox uniform.

QUOTE (PlunketChris @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 10:48 AM)
$6M is a little steep, but I agree with using him as a "bridge" and in a lesser role than as the everyday DH. More of a rotating DH slot would be good for the team.

I'll happily take both of them on the team, which is not unrealistic.

Agreed.

I also agree about the "rotating DH" concept. Giving Flowers a day or two a week at DH and a day at C would be a great way to get him a lot of major-league at-bats.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 01:09 PM)
Agreed.

I also agree about the "rotating DH" concept. Giving Flowers a day or two a week at DH and a day at C would be a great way to get him a lot of major-league at-bats.

If Flowers is going to be here then that's the only scenario I'd be in favor of. Having him sit on the bench 4-5 games per week is not going to help him develop. That said, I still hope we shop Flowers heavily over the offseason.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 11:27 AM)
That said, I still hope we shop Flowers heavily over the offseason.

I'm not sure if I'd want to deal Flowers, but if Kenny could get somebody like Soria in return for a Flowers and a couple more prospects, it might be worth it.