Thome wants to return to Chicago

PWSox87

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that anyone thinking should keep in mind is...what is the market likely to be for a guy like Thome this offseason? Basically, an up there in age LH DH. The fact that he's a Dh limits him to half the league, and teams like Boston aren't likely to be in to him because they have a DH.

Let's look for a moment at the potentially available corner OF/DH types this offseason

Milton Bradley

Jim Thome

Carlos Delgado

Bobby Abreu

Vlad Guerrero

Nick Johnson

Aubrey Huff

Hideki Matsui

Jermaine Dye

Randy Winn

And that's not including the bigger names (Holliday) that will get money from the Yankees or cardinals.

Point is...if you're in the market for a veteran Designated Hitter...there's a lot of options out there, and there's not going to be a lot of teams willing to spend money at that spot.

I'd take Thome back, but I'd limit to maybe a $4-$5 million bid, because there's others on that list I can get for teh same price more than likely.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 04:15 PM)
Let's look for a moment at the potentially available corner OF/DH types this offseason

Milton Bradley

Jim Thome

Carlos Delgado

Bobby Abreu

Vlad Guerrero

Nick Johnson

Aubrey Huff

Hideki Matsui

Jermaine Dye

Randy Winn

And that's not including the bigger names (Holliday) that will get money from the Yankees or cardinals.

Point is...if you're in the market for a veteran Designated Hitter...there's a lot of options out there, and there's not going to be a lot of teams willing to spend money at that spot.

I'd take Thome back, but I'd limit to maybe a $4-$5 million bid, because there's others on that list I can get for teh same price more than likely.

Abreu is a stud! Thats the guy i want! The Angels struck gold with this guy. Nick Johnson is an intruiging name. It will be interesting to see what direction KW takes with that DH spot. .

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 02:34 PM)
Abreu is a stud! Thats the guy i want! The Angels struck gold with this guy. Nick Johnson is an intruiging name. It will be interesting to see what direction KW takes with that DH spot. .

Abreu simply isn't moving unless you offer him a real good deal. I'll bet after a good postseason he'll be looking for 3/$30 and will probably get close to it.

I bet the sox go after Matsuai, just a gut feeling. I think we can get him cheap & he can play some outfield. Other wise, I think were getting Thome back at a reduced salary. Making less than 5 mil & playing 3/4 of the year it would be nice to have his bat back. I think Matsuai would be a good edition

QUOTE (soxfan-kwman @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 04:41 PM)
I bet the sox go after Matsuai, just a gut feeling. I think we can get him cheap & he can play some outfield. Other wise, I think were getting Thome back at a reduced salary. Making less than 5 mil & playing 3/4 of the year it would be nice to have his bat back. I think Matsuai would be a good edition

Is that a first or second edition? The value could be vastly different.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (son of a rude @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 11:52 AM)
Just sign Nick Johnson if you are willing to give Thome 4-6 mil...

Exactly. $6M for Thome is foolish. If he can get $6M from someone else, he should jump at it. But if he really wants to play in Chicago, $2M is fair for a platoon DH.

And if he does wind up back with the Sox, I hope Ozzie uses him properly, not batting hi 3rd in the order and not leaving him in late in a game when the opposiong manager brings in a tough LH reliever with the game on the line. Use him primarily as a LH DH, bat him somewhere like fifth or sixth in the order, and don't hesitate to pinch hit for him in situations as described above and he would be a great fit as a role player on the South side next year. But don't expect to build an offense around him.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 05:43 PM)
The problem is that he's a waste of a 25 man spot. He has no versatility nor can he play full time anymore. Is a 20 HR 65 RBI .225 BA 100+K season worth clogging up the bases and taking up a spot that a kid could take?
What makes you think he's going to hit 57 points below his career average, and 25+ points lower than his average over the last two years? He hit.262/.383/.498/.881 vs. RHP this year, and .249/.372/.496/.868 last year. If he's DHing against RHP for us next season, you can probably expect those types of numbers from him. What's not to like about a DH who gets on base and hits for power? If Flowers/whoever else can hit LHP at a decent rate in a platoon, you'd have a very productive DH for likely below market cost.

I've never been able to understand the dislike for Thome on this website, especially given the crap some other teams in the AL throw out there.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 03:18 PM)
Exactly. $6M for Thome is foolish. If he can get $6M from someone else, he should jump at it. But if he really wants to play in Chicago, $2M is fair for a platoon DH.

You're not going to get either him or Thome for $2M.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 03:43 PM)
The problem is that he's a waste of a 25 man spot. He has no versatility nor can he play full time anymore. Is a 20 HR 65 RBI .225 BA 100+K season worth clogging up the bases and taking up a spot that a kid could take?

I'd gladly pay Thome $5-$6M to "clog up the bases" with the .847 OPS and 23 HRs he put up this year. This team desperately needs another player in the middle of the lineup who can both get on base and drive in runs consistently.

I'm just curious as to why people seem so obsessed with our DH being able to play the field. How good a guy is at defense is probably the last thing I consider when looking for a DH. It's a nice plus, but he's going to be spending most if not all of his time off the field anyways.

This is the best statement I've seen regarding Thome. I think people get caught up in his nice guy image too much.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 08:50 PM)
I'm just curious as to why people seem so obsessed with our DH being able to play the field. How good a guy is at defense is probably the last thing I consider when looking for a DH. It's a nice plus, but he's going to be spending most if not all of his time off the field anyways.

I ask people why they want a DH that is injury prone at the lamest position in baseball.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Oct 12, 2009 -> 04:23 AM)
I would love to have him back in the organization if he's interested in a career AFTER baseball, but not on this team as a player next year.

At least he's used to a reduced role in only pinch hitting for LA. I can't imagine us giving him the usual 500 at bats if we sign him. I wonder who out there we would target for lefthanded power besides Jimmy. I wouldn't mind moving in a different direction at DH for change sake. Or if Jimmy wants to sign on the cheap, fine.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 11:44 PM)
If we're not going to be interested in an .850 OPS guy as our DH, I'm just curious as to who you guys think we're going to fill in at that position...

This. And you have to take salary into consideration. If you can get Jim at 4 mill, and Nick Johnson and Abreu are wanting double to triple that is it worth it?

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 10:53 PM)
This. And you have to take salary into consideration. If you can get Jim at 4 mill, and Nick Johnson and Abreu are wanting double to triple that is it worth it?

We really need to stop counting on Abreu for anything. There is absolutely no way, that if he somehow escapes the Angels' clutches, that he's going to be doing it to sign with the White Sox.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 11, 2009 -> 09:57 PM)
We really need to stop counting on Abreu for anything. There is absolutely no way, that if he somehow escapes the Angels' clutches, that he's going to be doing it to sign with the White Sox.

^^^