**Official Yankees vs. Angels Thread**

knightni

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 08:45 PM)
Scoscia should ask for a sample of A-Rod's pee.

Scoscia might want to tell his pitchers to stop throwing him pitches in the strike zone. With the hot streak A-Rod is on right now, you are best suited giving him the Bonds/Pujols treatment and walking him anytime you can. At any rate, it's 5-0 Yankees and C.C. is absolutely filthy tonight, so it's going to take a miracle for this series not to be 3-1 and pretty much over headed into game 5.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 07:39 PM)
Nice to see Nick Swisher playing big in the lime light again... He is hitting about .130 in the playoffs including 0-4 with 9 LOB with RISP in the ALCS so far.

He basically cost them the game yesterday by failing to get the runner home twice from third with less than 2 outs. If he gets the runner home both times the Yankees put that game away early.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 08:55 PM)
Luckily it doesn't effect the game at least.

Yeah it had no impact, and the missed call on the pickoff play on Swisher didn't have an impact either since the "makeup call" (which was also wrong) made him out, ending the inning and not counting his run. But this is absolutely ridiculous, hopefully it motivates a change in the replay system because it's badly needed.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 09:15 PM)
What happened? I highly doubt it beats the missed blatant call from the Yanks-Twins series and Joe Mauer's "foul ball" but I'm curious to hear it.

Yankees had Posada at 3rd and Cano at 2nd. Batter hits a grounder back to the pitcher. Pitcher gets Posada in a run down, runs him back down to third. Cano had advanced to 3rd on the play too. Napoli, Cano, and Posada all seem to see at the same time that Posada and Cano are both at third at the same time. Cano backs off the base, apparently to allow Posada to reclaim it, and Napoli tags him. Posada meanwhile, had overrun the base slightly, and was off the base, and Napoli tagged him out as well. He tagged both runners while they were standing OFF THE BASE. Yet somehow, the umpire allowed Posada to stay at 3rd and only called Cano out.

Bizarre.

I wonder if the Yankees finally successfully buying a world series will wind up helping be a game changer on revenue sharing the next time the CBA comes up. Especially if they're right back next year. The locals may love it, but most of the country is going to be annoyed/turned off of baseball.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)
I wonder if the Yankees finally successfully buying a world series will wind up helping be a game changer on revenue sharing the next time the CBA comes up. Especially if they're right back next year. The locals may love it, but most of the country is going to be annoyed/turned off of baseball.

This is totally their year. They finally went out and signed some good pitching, instead of some flukes. It shows.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 10:26 PM)

I heard a discussion of this the other morning on Mike & Mike...they had on Buster Olney I believe, and asked him this question. He said that baseball, as an industry, usually profits from the Yankees winning it every once in a while. However, that the small market clubs are definitely concerned about the Yankees continued ability to sign almost any player they desire.

I'm not sure that this is a result of them "buying" a World Series, well, not any more than they have tried to buy one in the past. The fact that they actually may win this year certainly does not make it a wise strategy in the overall scheme of things to spend as much as they do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 10:28 PM)
This is totally their year. They finally went out and signed some good pitching, instead of some flukes. It shows.

Yep, they went out and got a true ace and another guy with dominant stuff. They also went out and got the 2nd best 1B in baseball. They went out and spent their money on true studs and if they do that they are going to be the best team in baseball year in and year out.

The scary thing is with Damon, Nady, and Matsui off the books they could easily get Holliday and still bring one of those guys (likely Damon back). And then I'm sure they are going to go all out for Mauer in 2010.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Oct 21, 2009 -> 12:27 AM)
Yankees really spanked the Angels tonight. Pretty impressive.

But we were just as dominant or moreso the year we won it. So I wouldn't say they have a dynasty brewing yet.

The bolded may be true, but that doesn't change the fact that the Yankees have the potential for long term success built there. I wouldn't crown the Yankees yet though. I've been among the masses saying they are a major favorite to win the thing and I stand by that, but them beating the Phillies isn't automatic as Philadelphia also has a great team. I will say that who has home field advantage has been almost irrelevant in the World Series since the All Star Game started determining it in 2003 (thank God, what a stupid system), but this year it might matter big time. Then again, the Yankees had the best record in baseball so they belong having home field anyways.

In response to what Balta said about the Yankees winning being a game changer in the next CBA, I doubt it. Baseball REALLY, REALLY, REALLY needs a salary cap type system, but if they don't have it now, I doubt we'll be seeing it forced through anytime soon. I hope I am wrong though, because I can't emphasize how much it's needed. The sport is being hurt much more by the current economic system it has that a lot of people realize IMO, and I'd have said the same thing before the current worldwide economic crisis.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 20, 2009 -> 06:53 PM)
That might be the worst call I've ever seen. Wow.

I was going ballistic in the stands. I don't grasp how the umps could have f***ed that up. It was so obvious. Easily one of the worse calls I've ever seen.

Not even a bang bang call. They give the baserunner some sort of neighborhood call, just two games after the Angels got hosed on that neighborhood call on Aybar.

f***ing joke.

Not that it mattered, Angels played like piss. And well, CC is f***ing good.